PDA

View Full Version : Looking for quality dvd's on newsgroups

sinxposed
06-06-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm tired of all of this 'shrinking', taking this and that out, editing menus'....

File size should no longer be an issue, with 50mbit internet so cheap and 1tb harddrives for 80 bucks..

I'm trying to find the best place either to search, or the exact alt.binaries.***** for FULL UNALTERED DVD's complete with menu's, extra features, etc..

it looks like the usual a.b.dv*** groups are like, just straight main movie rips.

so does anyone know the best place to get the ENTIRE thing?

Skiz
06-06-2009, 06:05 AM
DVDs are often released as DVD9 and DVD5 for a reason. You want DVD9s.

DVD9s will never have anything stripped as they are for folks like you who want everything included and in the original quality.

DVD5s are shrunk because file size is an issue. The releaser will strip the least important or what they feel is the least necessary material (extras, subtitles, etc.) in order to get them under 4.7GB. That is for folks who want to burn the film to DVD.

I'm not certain what the best binary group would be though...

zot
06-06-2009, 06:10 AM
It could be that many of the sources are from foreign origins, and their DVD "extras" may differ, such as "the making of ..." narration being in another language. Just a wild guess.

What about alt.binaries.dvd9?

manu1991
06-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Well both alt.binaries.dvds and alt.binaries.dvdr have a good collection

AssassiNBG
06-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Hello,

Release groups often strip the extras even from the DVD9 releases for obvious reasons. They still want you to buy the DVDs if you like them.

If you want everything included you should go to some of the Dutch boards like FTD, FTR, Binaries4ever, etc and follow up on what gets posted. All their DVDs are complete rips, usually of dutch-released DVDs so they'll have dutch subs included, often dutch audio track too. Other than that most have all the extras US/UK dvds have, but sometimes the extras aren't all there originally. Along with all that you get the trailers and warnings, which you'll have to learn to strip yourself.

Generally read the NFOs included in releases to help you decide if it's worth your time/bandwidth.

Regards

SonsOfLiberty
06-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Alot of the DVD's I've been seeing have only the FBI warning stripped. Like for example 24 Season 7 or whatever only have the FBI warning stipped, same with the Gran Torino DVDR's. BTW if you want those type of DVD's there is a placed called EFNET and you can request them there yourself, so go to the tut section and learn to request via IRC.

Beck38
06-06-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm tired of all of this 'shrinking', taking this and that out, editing menus'....

File size should no longer be an issue, with 50mbit internet so cheap and 1tb harddrives for 80 bucks..

I'm trying to find the best place either to search, or the exact alt.binaries.***** for FULL UNALTERED DVD's complete with menu's, extra features, etc..

it looks like the usual a.b.dv*** groups are like, just straight main movie rips.

so does anyone know the best place to get the ENTIRE thing?

File size IS a big issue in countries larger than a postage stamp (i.e., outside of Europe/UK), where things (telecom) are run by commercial companies rather than government tax money (yes, I know that lots is commercial, but the base infrastructure was and is built by government telecom). In the U.S., the average internet speed available is <1Mb/s download, <256Kb/s upload. Above that is pretty spotty, and generally expensive.

But This question keeps coming up every few weeks here. Why don't you go to one of the myriad indexing sites (like this one) and filter the results by size; generally, everything > 5GB is a full DVD9 (although large par files will trip it above that), and there are some folks who try and 'cut' the dvd9's by what they feel is 'unnecessary'. So it does require a bit of brain filtering.

But they're scattered all over the newsgroups, not nicely packaged up in a particular group like a.b.dvd9 (which has a lot of dvd5's in it).

Start with the file size filter first, then go from there. I almost never d/l something that's a dvd5, unless I 'KNOW' the original commercial disc is a DVD5.

In short, you have to do some hunting.

SonsOfLiberty
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Size is not an issue, why else would we be seeing rips averaging over 11gb for Hi-def rips, so size is not a issue.

And no the US is not average 1mb, I have that only because I'm at teh very outer point of their service, you can get unlimited internet for $20 a month and at almost any speeds depending on your location and major cities it's cheap and fast.

EyeBaller
06-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Size is not an issue, why else would we be seeing rips averaging over 11gb for Hi-def rips, so size is not a issue.

And no the US is not average 1mb, I have that only because I'm at teh very outer point of their service, you can get unlimited internet for $20 a month and at almost any speeds depending on your location and major cities it's cheap and fast.

Where can I get 20mb+ internet for $20 a month in the US? I might just move there... I'm on 10mb/512kbps for $29.95 (promo price), usually it's $40+ a month (RR in NYC). The US is way behind on internet speeds and cost.

SonsOfLiberty
06-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Not around here it's not, and I'm on the out skirts. I know AT&T offers it for $20 a month for unlimited, of course NY is going to be high, it's just like Cali, everthing is way overpriced, plus your paying the new NY tax on it as well.

notho
06-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Not around here it's not, and I'm on the out skirts. I know AT&T offers it for $20 a month for unlimited, of course NY is going to be high, it's just like Cali, everthing is way overpriced, plus your paying the new NY tax on it as well.

Dude, could you point me to this? AT&T doesn't even offer anything over 6mbs on thier web site.

I have to pay 46 bucks for 16mbs and a 100 gig cap, I'd love to find something better.

EyeBaller
06-07-2009, 12:23 AM

$20 for unlimited but I doubt it's any faster than 10mbit. And the price I quoted is just service, tax and fees are on top.

SonsOfLiberty
06-07-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm on the outskirts of "any ISP" service and barely making it over 1.5mb, it's either that or dial up. Plus I have a cousin who works with one of the ISP's (Comcast I think) and I can get that for free once I get closer to a access point, which is a few miles out. But California and New York 9outof10 times will always be twice as high on most stuff. Still Comcast and both AT&T advertise all 3 services (AT&T just opted out of you haveing a home phone now, you can have cell service which most people do) for $99 a month, which make them $30 which isn't bad.

EyeBaller
06-07-2009, 04:17 AM
you can get unlimited internet for $20 a month and at almost any speeds depending on your location and major cities it's cheap and fast.

I quote from your previous post.. I understand there are some "cheap" internet deals, but the speed is not there. If you want truly fast speeds (say 20mbit+ or any reasonable upload speed) you pay much much more than $20.

Many countries have upwards of 50mbit lines for less than half the cost it would be here. Japan and Korea have 100mbit up/down connections from $25-$30, and are only a couple of years away from 1gb connections. The US is far behind in terms of speed. However, this (http://www.techpark.net/2009/04/08/internet-connection-speed-the-top-10-countries/) article claims the average US connection is 3.9mbps not 1mbps as someone said earlier.

thespesios
06-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know any group with full DVD versions of the 90's WB Spielberg cartoon series? Thanx in advance

SonsOfLiberty
06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
you can get unlimited internet for $20 a month and at almost any speeds depending on your location and major cities it's cheap and fast.

I quote from your previous post.. I understand there are some "cheap" internet deals, but the speed is not there. If you want truly fast speeds (say 20mbit+ or any reasonable upload speed) you pay much much more than $20.

Many countries have upwards of 50mbit lines for less than half the cost it would be here. Japan and Korea have 100mbit up/down connections from $25-$30, and are only a couple of years away from 1gb connections. The US is far behind in terms of speed. However, this (http://www.techpark.net/2009/04/08/internet-connection-speed-the-top-10-countries/) article claims the average US connection is 3.9mbps not 1mbps as someone said earlier.

Ok, what I meant, were "not that far" both AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Sprint (yeah I think Sprint is wanting to do the online thing now), and more, have invested (I don't even know the number for sure) millions upon millions to start working on it last year and this year. When you live near big colleges your speeds are going to be awesome...which I'm am....and I know many people pay $30 or less for 15-20 down, at least by speedtest, do not remember the up speed. Well yeah, we have taxes, state taxes and then regulatory taxes....so it will always be more, but still if I lived closer to the access point I would still be paying the same price, if moved next to the college it would be $10 extra because of the location, it's all about location if you ask me.

Beck38
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM

The article you quoted, you have to read between the lines a bit to figure out how they got to the 3.9mb figure; by population, by location, by ???? not specified. I'll stick with the DSL Reports figures, which is US wide, and the FCC reports as well. I'm sure if one jiggles the figures to go by, say, population, rather than say, households, and taking the maximum speed available in say, a state, rather than individual communities, one can get the much larger figure. Doesn't apply to the real world, though.

The 'postage stamp' countries like Korea and Japan (and Europe) really don't count. It's a bit like taking the northeast US and applying what's available there to say, west Texas.

I live about 5 miles from a FIOS area, but as either from the number of people in it, or the 'on the ground' area, it's about <.1% of the state I live in (the area is about 4 miles x 2 miles total). The cable internet is fairly fast, but has all kinds of limits on it. DSL (which I'm on) has slowly gotten better, 3M/768K, but if I lived just a couple more blocks down the major highway near me, I'd be 'off the cliff' on that with no service.

I do see occasionally extremely fast uploading (somewhat obvious from FIOS). But it's going to be a long, long, time before Verizon spreads the FIOS out, or the cableco (Comcast) gets better (don't hold your breath on either of them).

But anyway, the OP question is pretty well answered by simply a bit (or more) of digging. There are folks out there doing lots of DVD9's (and more doing HD stuff). It is though, a bit overwhelmed by the amount of recoded stuff.

drew
06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
My favorite source for dvd info is binaryinvasion.com, which is a great spotting site for dvd collectors.

iLOVENZB
06-13-2009, 11:49 AM
... I'm on 10mb/512kbps for $29.95 (promo price), usually it's $40+ a month (RR in NYC). The US is way behind on internet speeds and cost.

You have no idea about Australia's circumstances do you? Only a handful of people are able to get speeds above 8mb (down), don't even bother about getting decent upload speeds.

Just count yourself lucky you pay so little.

Currently I'm paying 60AUD (which equates to 48.78USD) and I get 1500/256 with a quota of 10GB/mo. My ISP has an unmetered mirror for Major Geeks, Source Forge, STEAM, Gaming Network, TiVo and also has a Usenet service.