PDA

View Full Version : Inactivity Rule

apextwin146
06-09-2009, 10:25 AM
sucks!!!!
What i font really understand is y the hell would u delete the user info from the DB if the user hasnt accessed the site in the 2 months ... Delete it if he hasnt accessed in a year or so .. If they are deleted from the DB then there is no possibilty of getting your account back no matter what you do which kinda sucks ..
[/rant]

Yoann64
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
sucks!!!!
What i font really understand is y the hell would u delete the user info from the DB if the user hasnt accessed the site in the 2 months ... Delete it if he hasnt accessed in a year or so .. If they are deleted from the DB then there is no possibilty of getting your account back no matter what you do which kinda sucks ..
[/rant]
you always have one solution ...Let a message on "USER INFO" or use "ACCOUNT PARKED", or IRC ...etc...

MATEE100
06-09-2009, 11:48 AM
If you don't use the account,they don't see any reason why to keep you in.They're making some free places for users who will use the site.But If you gonna use it,but you're on a big Holiday or I dunno,and don't have any Account Parking function and you won't be near a computer for a long,it's real sucks.

TP635
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
2 MONTHS is way too long. Account that is inactive for more than 2 DAYS should be deleted for the db.

cinephilia
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
2 MONTHS is way too long. Account that is inactive for more than 2 DAYS should be deleted for the db.
2 days ? and what if you have a job ?

Cabalo
06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
sucks!!!!
[/rant]
oh, c'mon, they must delete it. after all it takes a few bytes to have a user account in your mysql DB.
and they don't have room for it, of course. :rolleyes:

it's a very lame site excuse to delete accounts. and many noobs defend it, to "save database space".

ffs.

susiserken
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM

quit it! :unsure:

stoi
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
sucks!!!!
[/rant]
oh, c'mon, they must delete it. after all it takes a few bytes to have a user account in your mysql DB.
and they don't have room for it, of course. :rolleyes:

it's a very lame site excuse to delete accounts. and many noobs defend it, to "save database space".

ffs.

Its not just about taking room in the db though.

Since Dec 2006 we have had 357454 members through the doors.

Imagine if all of those were still on the tracker, seeding and leeching, the servers would not be able to cope.

Basically if we have 30,000 members, we can handle them, if we had 350,000 members, some days may be fine, others may be a nightmare waiting to happen, we just wouldnt know when the server would crash, but with 30,000 we have a good idea that it will be ok.

You also have all those dupe accounts, i would say 100,000 of those at least were dupe accounts, so whats the point of keeping those.

It also lets new people in, or at least it did before we stopped taking members.

drew
06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
If 100,000 were dupe accounts, why would there be 357,454 active members?

Even if 257,454 members were potentially active accounts, why overlook the fact that a fair number of those would have left on their own or been banned?

And what of the potentially double or triple size of the donor base in order to maintain servers to keep up with demand?

I don't need answers, and I concede that there is truth at the core of your post, but I think the premises underlying your post as it stands are faulty.

stoi
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
OK lets say we dont prune at all.

We would have had a limit of lets say 30,000 (even though we have had 100,000 in before).

Now because we never pruned, we would have 30,000 members, but no chance of anyone new getting in ever, as we never pruned, so our max members from Dec 2006 would have been 30,000 and not 1 more.

at least we have give 350,000 people the chance to experience BCG (or however many it actually is - dupe accounts) but i would say at least 150,000 unique people.

Even I realise we are not everyones cup of tea, lets say 20% of members like it and stay, that would only be 6,000 members using the tracker out of those 30,000, if we never pruned.

I admit atm pruning for us is kind of pointless, unless we start taking members again (open signup) as we are not taking any new members at all.

+ its not just the annouces that kill the servers, its number of members online at once as well, when we had 100,000 members, when 600+ members were on the site at once it would struggle big time, since we went down to 30,000 members, we have not been anywhere near that.

TP635
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Then you have the money to buy what you would want to download.

cinephilia
06-09-2009, 03:47 PM
if you seriously think that a working-man can afford more than 5 films & CDs a month, you're barking up the wrong tree.

TP635
06-09-2009, 03:52 PM
if you seriously think that a working-man can afford more than 5 films & CDs a month, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Yes, I am. If you work 24hrs a day. I assume a 24hrs work day, cos a 'working-man' doesn't seem to have 10sec free time to log on to his account.

cinephilia
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
have you ever heard about business trips, holidays or unforeseen circumstances ?

shipwreck
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
"Working man" or not, 2 days inactivity limit is simply ridiculous. Some sites are offline longer than that, and before you even notice that they are back up, you'll be purged.

Get real, I hope you're not being serious about this. All of us are wasting too much time in front of the damn computer anyway, you're basically saying that we should be glued to it.

TP635
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
have you ever heard about business trips, holidays or unforeseen circumstances ?

Have you heard of ACCOUNT PARKING option?

Night0wl
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Well I very much agree with apextwin146. By far the most stupid rule on sites. Thankfully not every tracker has that stupid rule or at least a far longer allowed inactivity period.

Paracetamol
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM

No, I have not. Please regale me.

cinephilia
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
"Working man" or not, 2 days inactivity limit is simply ridiculous.
"workingman" was just an extreme example to make the TP635 understand my point.

that's not funny anymore.
/ignore

TP635
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
that's funny
/ignore

brightsid
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
A thread about each tracker inactivity rule would be useful in the support section

Yoann64
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
2 days ...lol

Don't you see that this guy is a ...bot?
He doesn't need to go out with some friends, to make trips with his girlfriend some weekends, he is never sick, etc...
Lucky guy, I enjoy his life !!

But i think 2-3 weeks without any DL = account disabled (if you don't park it)
You've got an account, you need to use it ...no ?

1000possibleclaws
06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Haven't seen you around recently.. sucks man that you got pruned from some tracker's databases. Hope you didn't lose too many of you main ones.

Zaxx
06-09-2009, 06:21 PM
'Inactivity' can be a little vague tho. Some sites consider logging in and browsing the tracker/forums as activity, as do I.
But on some sites, you can log in daily and have a read but still get sacked for 'inactivity' if you didn't use the tracker for whatever reason.
I say this cuz it happened to me recently...was a site I visited at least 2-3 times a week but I only d/led something there if it's something I really, really like and want the Flac version of it. Not every album I have/like is 'worthy' enuff (imo) for me to d/l the more 'pristine' (and larger) Flac version. It would almost seem a crime to listen to an inferior cut of a song/album that deserves the best definition/quailty available...you know the ones ;). I guess I went too long between finding selections that I wanted a flac version of and got 'pruned' for inactivity...even tho I had, at minimum, a browse at least once a week for months and months. Plus I kept a nice ratio without ever using a seedbox either. Yes...I'm talkin about Perdo's of course. :dabs:

Villalltheway
06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
"Working man" or not, 2 days inactivity limit is simply ridiculous. Some sites are offline longer than that, and before you even notice that they are back up, you'll be purged.

Get real, I hope you're not being serious about this. All of us are wasting too much time in front of the damn computer anyway, you're basically saying that we should be glued to it.

Damn right, cant believe people would even consider deleteing accounts because of 2days inactivity, some people do have a social life.

apextwin146
06-11-2009, 10:51 AM
@Stoi - Sir i think you are misunderstanding the point i am tryin to make .. Its not that if i am inactive for whatever reasons that you store my information and details on all the tables of your DB ..It more to do with the fact that you atleast store my details in one Primary table which stores all your users .. This way you wont take up much space and the efficiency would not be effected either .. The other reason y i am against deleting user info from DB is that when the use comes back he has no chance of getting back the old account since its not in the DB anymore ...Why cant u just maintain the user information for some time(more than 1/2 months) something akin to probationary data .. Delete it if the user doesnt come around for 6-7 months ..

@TSOL - works up .. working 13-14 hrs a day nowadays ... Lost most of the community valuable ones!!! TL is gone too :damn: .. So now i am shifting to RS :sneaky:

Anyways the inactivity rule sucks .. My site membership should not force me to visit the site everyday or download from it everyday .. That just sucks donkey bawls ..

Funkin'
06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes...I'm talkin about Perdo's of course.

Well...it does say right in their Faq that they have a "use it or lose it" policy. So the warning was there. You must have went quite a while without downloading anything. Since I remember a time when I must have went at least a month without downloading album, but was never messed with.

I don't mind a site like Pedro's inactivity rules. They just want you making at least some moderate use of the tracker, which is perfectly understandable. But it's when trackers say that you have to download so much in a specific amount of time, to be considered active, that I don't like.

jasperr
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
First off.. i dunno how this conversation went down from 2 months(60 days) of inactivity to just 2 days of inactivity..? O.o

the OP had stated his dislike of a 2 month(60 day) deletion for "Inactivity" not 2 days...

i think that's fair enough... trackers these days, want users who do more than log in once in a while.. "Logging in" does not count as activity.. seriously people, logging in just stops the auto process of account removal.. what good is a tracker to anyone if they just stop in to look around? tracker staff don't really want that as they want you to post or leech from them.. not JUST look around! if you can't be bothered to at least post something .. why are you there!?

not to mention .. removing inactive accounts like that help reduce dupe accounts, and/or trade accounts..

sez
06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
But why delete an account completely from the database?.

Shit happens,people accidentally get charged by rhinoshttp://www.valspace.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/image/gold_charging_rhino.gif and get sent into commas for months,surely that is not something that someone is capable of bringing to themselves,how do you escape a rhino.

Don't wipe the account into non existence unless you really have to(which is barely).Just disable the account and if the owner doesn't show up at all then do whatever you want(at least let the account be till christmas).

jasperr
06-11-2009, 02:07 PM
i dunno about rhino's.... but, in that scenario i think it's best to stick your in between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye... lol

i see what your saying.... and i'll go with that... for other less obvious reasons it makes more sense.. i think some trackers however, consider disable/deletion to be the same field these days... so, when some people say delete what actually happens is they get disabled... i think just disabling is more desirable though to tracker staff.. as it helps prevent the user from being able to simply rejoin, not without some effort anyways...

stoi
06-11-2009, 02:20 PM
The bottom line is, thats how the vanilla source for the tracker is coded, tbdev anyway, if you are pruned, then you are gone altogether from the db.

We have coded another table where all pruned members go, we just havnt done anything with it yet, as in from the site we cant get to it, but in the db we can.

So to change it, it takes exta coding on the part of the sysops, and tbh its not really a priority, I am guessing BitmeTV do it because its 1 acount for life, so they dont get rid of you even though you got disabled 3 years ago.

but to me 2 months is more than long enough to just log in, and if you are going to Iraq for 6 months, send a message to the staf box and we will promote you to VIP for 6 months so you dont get pruned. If you tell us we will accomodate yous.

jasperr
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
that is very fair indeed stoi.... at least you guys are taking that step.. which is good! :D

too bad everyone else wants to have their way.... only problem with that is everyone's way is different... lmoa