PDA

View Full Version : Tracker Levels <- what is it?

42er
06-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I am quite new to the english BT-comm, so I've got a question:
What are these levels, which some users mention?
Like "it is a lvl 3 tracker..." etc...
I hope you know what I mean :ermm:
Thanx for answers.

Paracetamol
06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
The level system is for dipshits who trade their invites and accounts. They base a tracker's level on a number of inane factors that no one else would care about, and use that information to treat torrent sites as some kind of item for barter.

7th
06-09-2009, 10:52 PM
in other words, it's something to ignore...

42er
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Phew, great, I thought I missed something... :whistling

Samurai84
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-trades-158/t-what-trackers-worth-with-reviews-and-ratings-298328

patiesmiz
06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
I am quite new to the english BT-comm, so I've got a question:
What are these levels, which some users mention?
Like "it is a lvl 3 tracker..." etc...

It is usually related to the difficulty in getting an invite, what does not mean that the site is better than others.
And when you get an invite to any of those 'top' sites you usually get disappointed.

in other words, it's something to ignore...

QFT

Kyokushin
06-10-2009, 12:31 AM
The higher the level, the harder it is to get into. As many people can't seem to understand, it's not related to content, speed, or general quality of the tracker itself.
The only real use for that rarity rating is that, in theory, a high level tracker is more "secure" than a low level one. So you should pay attention to it depending on which country you live and how much attention is given to the war on piracy.

Paracetamol
06-10-2009, 12:47 AM
The higher the level, the harder it is to get into. As many people can't seem to understand, it's not related to content, speed, or general quality of the tracker itself.
The only real use for that rarity rating is that, in theory, a high level tracker is more "secure" than a low level one. So you should pay attention to it depending on which country you live and how much attention is given to the war on piracy.

The entire concept is rooted in elitist douchebaggery. Paint whatever picture you like, that fact is clear. Also, your interpretation of this leveling thing seems to differ from that of the people who try to trade GFT for FTN and WTF for BBQ.

n00bz0r
06-10-2009, 01:55 AM
levels..eh?
WTAW thread is something that you read when you don't have anything else to do IRL.
Its something like..
"I have no aim in my Real Life.I have nothing to accomplish. I guess i should make a career outta chasing trackers in teh BT world. Maybe i will become a very important person coz of the trackers i am on, and maybe..just maybe, get a key to the Playboy mansion."

so much for an awesome thread :lol:

Straight to the point: They were created by elitists or wannabe 1337s to show that they know something about the way BT functions.(And that.. they are on trackers which do not give invites to you on getting promoted to PU after uploading 25GiB if Data.)
Don't get way too involved with 'em. Sincere advice. Period.

sez
06-10-2009, 02:15 AM
levels..eh?
WTAW thread is something that you read when you don't have anything else to do IRL.
Its something like..
"I have no aim in my Real Life.I have nothing to accomplish. I guess i should make a career outta chasing trackers in teh BT world. Maybe i will become a very important person coz of the trackers i am on, and maybe..just maybe, get a key to the Playboy mansion."
so much for an awesome thread Straight to the point: They were created by elitists or wannabe 1337s to show that they know something about the way BT functions.(And that.. they are on trackers which do not give invites to you on getting promoted to PU after uploading 25GiB if Data.)
Don't get way too involved with 'em. Sincere advice. Period
whatever part of the world you live in am sure its late :D.Are you by any chance a racer on a topsite?

n00bz0r
06-10-2009, 02:20 AM
levels..eh?
Its something like..
so much for an awesome thread Straight to the point: They were created by elitists or wannabe 1337s to show that they know something about the way BT functions.(And that.. they are on trackers which do not give invites to you on getting promoted to PU after uploading 25GiB if Data.)
Don't get way too involved with 'em. Sincere advice. Period
whatever part of the world you live in am sure its late :D.Are you by any chance a racer on a topsite?

/me just woke up. Need some caffeine to kick start my day of posting posts which make sense. :lol:

/me iz not a topsite racer. Thats fo sure.

Zaxx
06-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Phew, great, I thought I missed something... :whistling

You didn't. Some users live and die according to that fckn tracker lvl list...I call it 'The Tracker Collector's Bible' for lack of a better term. Don't get me wrong...I do find the tracker reviews useful and even interesting, but that tracker level crap is just that...crap. For the most part all it does is just fuel the determination of BT noobs everywhere to collect any/all of the highest 'ranking' trackers by any means they can find...trading, scamming, cheating and so on. And most of the time such behavior will ultimately lead to you getting banned from, and generally disliked by, the majority of trackers and their staff. Just ignore that goddamn list and check out the tracker reviews instead; when your trying to decide what sites you might be interested in. The reviews are waaay more helpful than just a single number somehow meant to represent the desirability of each tracker...:rolleyes:

pikapo0
06-10-2009, 02:49 AM
i usually only come to fst to read up on the news section and dont really post alot but this is a topic that has always lingered in my mind. its really sad that something so simple as a website could drive a man crazy. ive pretty much wasted 3 months of my life chasing after trackers. if i could turn back time i wish i would have subdued my greed better because it really is not worth all the trouble. ive pretty much gone through it all and i by no means am proud of my actions. i mean is it really worth sucking up to people saying how something is your dream and how you'd cherish it only if you had the opportunity. anyways saying all this does not make me in any way shape or form anti small secure trackers because i do very much enjoy being part of a community with trusted members. when i first started looking for trackers i was all about content(i was happy with just demonoid, passthepopcorn, etc). after that it became all about eliteness and getting into ftn was a very special moment in my life. the thing is i told myself i would stop seeking trackers after that. yet despite my promise i got addicted and got myself obsessed with moving up the ladder. now i can say im disappointed i never got into trackers such as fsc, ftwr but hey its just something to look at there is really nothing to it. just be happy and if you get in great but dont let it take over you. just one word of advice before i bounce instead of signing up for trackers do some research and ask around wether it is a good fit for you or not. if your not going to utilize it then dont waste the trackers time and the dutiful members who work to keep the tracker up and running

TP635
06-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Turn the LIST upside down, and you will get a truly good listing.
Thus TPB will now be TOP followed by Denemoid.
That's the list I follow.

apextwin146
06-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Go by the content rating rather than level rating ..

The_Martinator
06-10-2009, 08:32 AM

I wouldn't go by ratings period. There are sites that have great reviews of trackers and people also giving feedback of them in the review threads. And I don't mean feedback like: ''cool tracker, good speed, lol :D :D :P''

You should go by these imo.

One thing is for sure, do not base your views of a tracker on levels. Do not even take them into consideration.

Louie
06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Turn the LIST upside down, and you will get a truly good listing.
Thus TPB will now be TOP followed by Denemoid.
That's the list I follow.

:yup:

erts
06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-trades-158/t-what-trackers-worth-with-reviews-and-ratings-298328 this link you help :D

b3owulf
06-10-2009, 09:45 AM
levels..eh?
Its something like..

so much for an awesome thread :lol:

Straight to the point: They were created by elitists or wannabe 1337s to show that they know something about the way BT functions.(And that.. they are on trackers which do not give invites to you on getting promoted to PU after uploading 25GiB if Data.)
Don't get way too involved with 'em. Sincere advice. Period.

This is da best expalanation about what levels are for and it must be sticky in trading section! :lol:

apextwin146
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't go by ratings period. There are sites that have great reviews of trackers and people also giving feedback of them in the review threads. And I don't mean feedback like: ''cool tracker, good speed, lol :D :D :P''

You should go by these imo.

One thing is for sure, do not base your views of a tracker on levels. Do not even take them into consideration.
:wacko:
So wat r u tryin to say there man? You wont go by which rating?
Do u evn knw what content rating means? There is no justification for not looking at content rating specified here in FST before jumping into the tracker

Skiz
06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
The level system is for dipshits who trade their invites and accounts. They base a tracker's level on a number of inane factors that no one else would care about, and use that information to treat torrent sites as some kind of item for barter.

In other words, its something to ignore.

That is not at all correct.

For those of you who weren't around years ago, the tracker rankings were developed due to loads of threads such as "Have Demonoid - want FTWR". The Bittorrent section was literally filled with these sort of requests. Members simply had no idea which sites were small or large and which sites had 2,000 members and no invites and others that had 200,000 members and loads of invites. That might be hard to imagine now, given how quickly members are educated these days, but its true.

I've never felt the list needed to be updated nearly as much as it does. Those who trade are constantly trying to finagle and sway the rankings.

I don't see why it can't be updated once every 3 months or something. :idunno:

apextwin146
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
:babadumsheesh:

The_Martinator
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Skiz. That's about why I imagined it was made.

About your question, the l33t factor of a tracker can change considerably in 3 moths. Take HDbits for example. When I was invited, there were many invites floating around. Now it's one of the most sough after trackers.

The Flying Cow
06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
As Skizo has said, it makes no sense to insult the creator of the WTAW and WTO threads, as he/she is simply doing the board a practical service.

Most of the people whining in this thread about the tracker levels have either wasted long hours trying to get them and failed, or wasted long hours and gotten into trackers that turned out to be different to what they expected.

The aforementioned threads are very useful for you to know what the quality/quantity of the content in the trackers is. Rarity pertains to how small the community is, and consequently to how difficult it is to get an invite.

To say the smaller sites have more trusted members is IMO redundant. They may be old-timers for the most part, but it is hard to assess if someone is trustworthy or not over a broadband connection. Ultimately the trustworthy people in your life are the ones you have real-life contact with, not a set of e-acquaintances.

patiesmiz
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I was invited to FtN and ScT by some friends long time ago without having asked for an invite, in fact I didn't know then that the sites were top level ones. I lost my account on ScT for being inactive -since I seldom used the site- and I seldom use FtN, since most of the stuff I am after is not on there.

And I registered my account on Scc when the site was still open reg ages ago, and it was so good then as it is now, the only difference was that when the site was free reg it used to be considered as a shitty one by some elitist ppl and now the site is a top one, and those ones who didn't created accounts when the site was open cos 'it was not worthy' went straight to some forums to beg for invites when Scc just closed reg and told the users to not mention its name on forums.

So I am sure that when most of the ppl here say that the 'level' is something to ignore they know what they are talking about.

cinephilia
06-10-2009, 08:09 PM
well-said patiesmiz :yup:

Skiz
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM

About your question, the l33t factor of a tracker can change considerably in 3 moths. Take HDbits for example. When I was invited, there were many invites floating around. Now it's one of the most sough after trackers.

You're proving my point. I doubt that status changed in a day or two in even in a few weeks, correct?

The_Martinator
06-11-2009, 06:31 AM

You're proving my point. I doubt that status changed in a day or two in even in a few weeks, correct?

Well, I'm no trader but I did see an increase of HDbits reqs on different sites in literally days after invites were closed. And very few seemed genuine to me.

1000possibleclaws
06-11-2009, 08:01 AM

Well, I'm no trader but I did see an increase of HDbits reqs on different sites in literally days after invites were closed. And very few seemed genuine to me.

People want to be a part of the l33t sites, that's old news bro. Don't blame the thread, blame the mentality in their heads. (The few) mature torrenter's I know are in most part still largely influenced by this factor, whether they bash the thread or they don't, or whether they will admit it. It's a never-ending chase. You'll get a level 10, but then there's secret forums that aren't even on the list, there's luelinks, the race never ends, and you waste so much time pursuing something that's not really of any use to you in reality. Some people come to their senses, some keep chasing, and some people genuinely use tracker's only for content, and those people probably don't post much in invite/btt forums.

The WTAW isn't the root of the problem, because the mentality already existed and was probably what drove that thread into existence. I'm pretty pessimistic, but I'm willing to bet alot of 'anti-traders' are that for the sole reason that in some cases it can be alot easier and faster to become "leet" than by trading up. I'm saying this because I've seen private invite forums, I've seen the quality of the userbases in these closed trackers. Speaking in generalities, the people are pretty dumb and one-dimensional.

jasperr
06-11-2009, 11:58 AM

People want to be a part of the l33t sites, that's old news bro. Don't blame the thread, blame the mentality in their heads. (The few) mature torrenter's I know are in most part still largely influenced by this factor, whether they bash the thread or they don't, or whether they will admit it. It's a never-ending chase. You'll get a level 10, but then there's secret forums that aren't even on the list, there's luelinks, the race never ends, and you waste so much time pursuing something that's not really of any use to you in reality. Some people come to their senses, some keep chasing, and some people genuinely use tracker's only for content, and those people probably don't post much in invite/btt forums.

The WTAW isn't the root of the problem, because the mentality already existed and was probably what drove that thread into existence. I'm pretty pessimistic, but I'm willing to bet alot of 'anti-traders' are that for the sole reason that in some cases it can be alot easier and faster to become "leet" than by trading up. I'm saying this because I've seen private invite forums, I've seen the quality of the userbases in these closed trackers. Speaking in generalities, the people are pretty dumb and one-dimensional.

i'll agree with this to a degree here..... ultimately, it's up to the individual to decide for themselves what tracker would fit their needs.. BUT, when you have someone new just learning about torrenting joining a forum like this seeing many folks talking level this and level that..... and being directed to a thread that has a list of sites with numbers next to them.. how are they supposed to know wth it is..? or how to understand it, when you have so many others telling you to go by that list and you'll be fine.. too many potential good torrentors get lost because of bad information and bad examples... maybe the list by itself isn't the source of bad karma in the BT world.. but that, with a bunch of other missguided users setting the examples is a bad combination..

1000possibleclaws
06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Why? Because everyone who follows that list is a bad user?:huh: Almost everyone in this 'scene' is influenced by the built up hype regarding l33t trackers, whether they are a trader or they are not. That doesn't make them a bad user, that makes them a normal private tracker user. You can blame all the stupidity on whatever you want, but I think it's really just the type of people that join invite forums. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. No offence to anyone to anyone in particular, I mean I do private trackers as well.

I'm probably only seeing the glass half empty perspective, but I think it's valid enough to consider as another truth. As opposed to how you think people start out innocent and without the stereotype wants of other users, but are 'corrupted' by us.

The Flying Cow
06-11-2009, 11:45 PM
when you have someone new just learning about torrenting joining a forum like this seeing many folks talking level this and level that..... and being directed to a thread that has a list of sites with numbers next to them.. how are they supposed to know wth it is..? ..

By reading more.

or how to understand it, when you have so many others telling you to go by that list and you'll be fine..

I know I went where I wanted to go by reading about tracker content and asking members their opinion.

In reality you're backing up TSOL's argument that most of the people chancing upon this forum with the intention of getting into private trackers don't show much intellige, if they ultimately feel crushed by all the numbers being hauled at them.

Furthermore, the WTAW thread is located in the Trader forum, for traders to know what the tracker levels are in their barterings. Considering the aforementioned thread is very clear about the level demarcations pertaining to rarity, and considering rarity means something more along the lines of scarcity, and "perhaps" worthy of collecting, there shouldn't be any confusion.

n00bz0r
06-12-2009, 02:28 AM
By reading more.

or how to understand it, when you have so many others telling you to go by that list and you'll be fine..

I know I went where I wanted to go by reading about tracker content and asking members their opinion.

In reality you're backing up TSOL's argument that most of the people chancing upon this forum with the intention of getting into private trackers don't show much intellige, if they ultimately feel crushed by all the numbers being hauled at them.

Furthermore, the WTAW thread is located in the Trader forum, for traders to know what the tracker levels are in their barterings. Considering the aforementioned thread is very clear about the level demarcations pertaining to rarity, and considering rarity means something more along the lines of scarcity, and "perhaps" worthy of collecting, there shouldn't be any confusion.

+1, True to the last word.
/me has nothing to add on to it. :happy: