PDA

View Full Version : <> Return Path For A Virus Email, How?

KazaaBoy
09-27-2003, 08:22 PM
I received a virus through Outlook and my Anti-Virus stopped it. When I looked at the return _path of the address this is all it had,

<>

Nothing else so I was wondering how did they do that?

KazaaBoy
09-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Anyone please...

Wolfmight
09-27-2003, 09:00 PM
It&#39;s a worm.. How did they do it?
hard to explain.. they made some kind of html/java/mail virus that opens when the email is previewed... all possible

[B][O][T]
09-27-2003, 09:02 PM
1st: No I have no idea about Your virus
2nd: You dont have to BUMP Your topic after 15 minuts or so&#33;
3rd: Change Your signature image, the maximum allowed size is 495X150 Pixels

BOT

Cl1mh4224rd
09-27-2003, 11:53 PM
The email headers were probably faked. They could&#39;ve put your own address in there, and it would&#39;ve looked like it cam from yourself.

I had this happen before. Not a virus, but I did get one spam email to my Comcast account, from my Hotmail account. :)

KazaaBoy
09-28-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@27 September 2003 - 21:00
It&#39;s a worm.. How did they do it?
hard to explain.. they made some kind of html/java/mail virus that opens when the email is previewed... all possible
It really is a hard one :huh: I mean they masked their _path.

The email headers were probably faked. They could&#39;ve put your own address in there, and it would&#39;ve looked like it cam from yourself. How can that be done, I mean what program do you use. This is what spamers use but how do they do it?

When I received the e-mail, it automatically opened it self and it had a virus but Norton caught it. I received it 4 times a day and they were all caught.

The real question is how did they mask their _path to that <>?

balamm
09-28-2003, 02:02 AM
You can go into properties/advanced/advanced in outlook express or outlook and get the real path with all headers.
You&#39;ll see the ISP&#39;s smtp or pop3 headers first but look harder and it should show the return path.

KazaaBoy
09-28-2003, 02:06 AM
Ok thanks. Next time it happens I will show you the details and message source.

My questions still remians unsweard. How did they do it?

balamm
09-28-2003, 02:18 AM
Any OS pretty much can send email through SMTP with the headers you specify. If you enter < > as the return email, yhen that&#39;s what will show. You can&#39;t hide the OS or origin though. The local host or domain will still be registered when the ISP forwards it unless you use a true annonymous proxy.

KazaaBoy
09-28-2003, 06:44 AM
I think you got it ;) I remember very well that all it had was the " <> ". I did go into properties and like you said but I remember there was no return address at all and it said "No reply address" so it&#39;s definitely a true annonymous proxy.

Do you know where I can get a annonymous proxy so I can send e-mail like them or how can I learn to do it. I am on a dial-up. I am not going to use it on anything stupid. I don&#39;t want to be blacklisted, I want a clean future. I just want to test it on my self and learn about some more so I can defend my self if it happens again.

exeus
09-28-2003, 06:58 AM
if you want to do that kinda stuff you really need to learn how to program and learn a bit about the protocols and how they work the reason no one that knows will tell you step by step how to spam and hack and that kinda stuff is cos it is a journey not a destination ppl that have not done the journey should not be allowed to reach the what they think is the destination
or another way to put it
ppl that dont have to work for the knoledge abuse it

KazaaBoy
09-28-2003, 09:30 AM
That&#39;s good advice exeus but did you not read what I said

I am not going to use it on anything stupid. I don&#39;t want to be blacklisted, I want a clean future. I hate spam :spam: so much that I want to hit them back :angry: and teach them a lesson for wasting people&#39;s time. They are very annoying and are hated by people like us. I want to learn how to hide my e-mail address from them. I didn&#39;t say anything about hacking so please don&#39;t put words in my mouth.

I do admire what you said last

ppl that dont have to work for the knoledge abuse it It’s absolutely true spot on ;)

exeus
09-28-2003, 02:20 PM
you cant really hide your email addy as such just becarefull were you leave it, the best way to get them is to learn how to track them down then get them disconected from their ISP

Edit: and the hacking referance was to learning internet protocols programing spamming etc hacking isnt all breaking into comps and in fact a real "hacker" would more likely class the gaining of knolegde and useing that knolegde to get comps to do something that they wernt actually meant to do "hacking" eg fakeing an ip.....

Wolfmight
09-28-2003, 02:54 PM
to learn more about this, try searching http://www.neworder.box.sk for some answers. they have info on the black arts.