PDA

View Full Version : Woman fined $1.9 million for illegal downloads

Darth Sushi
06-19-2009, 01:09 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=185Woman fined $1.9 million for illegal downloads
June 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM ET By Elianne Friend, CNN

(CNN) — "A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each — a total of $1.9 million — for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset’s case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents. She plans to appeal, he said."

:source: Source: http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/18/woman-fined-1-9-million-for-illegal-downloads/
:view: BetaNews: Jammie Thomas-Rasset infringed, says jury; fined $80,000 / song (http://www.betanews.com/article/Jammie-ThomasRasset-infringed-says-jury-fined-80000-song/1245362028)

NA_Magus
06-19-2009, 07:42 AM
What the hell happened to the 8th Amendment?

n00bz0r
06-19-2009, 07:42 AM
LAWL :lol:
I have downloaded more than 5k songs in lossless this year alone, and am downloading loads of them as I type this.
One unlucky woman..thats all i can say!

megabyteme
06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Ridiculous! The lawyer is right- should have been $.99 (or less). She was not downloading for resale. The company had virtually no damages.

NSMB
06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Ridiculous! The lawyer is right- should have been $.99 (or less). She was not downloading for resale. The company had virtually no damages.

Agree! I'm glad were not at this point in Sweden yet, but it will unfortunely not be long before we are there too. The fine should be equal to the damage,single persons should not become targets for the music- and movie-industrys revenge at piracy.

harshytkage
06-19-2009, 10:05 AM
1.9 MILLION! What a bunch o FAGS!!!

nicholastotino
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
lmao!!!! Where the hell did the Jury come up with $80,000 per song?? That is the most douche baggish thing I have ever heard!! That woman bought the most expensive music album this world has ever seen! haha wonder what she used to download the music....probably bittorrent crap!

Hairbautt
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
lmao!!!! Where the hell did the Jury come up with $80,000 per song?? That is the most douche baggish thing I have ever heard!! That woman bought the most expensive music album this world has ever seen! haha wonder what she used to download the music....probably bittorrent crap!
No. Claims are that it was Kazaa.

john pal
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
that fine is totally stupid, least at first sight. only in America... I hope.

abu_has_the_power
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
The evidence clearly pointed to her machine, even correctly identifying the MAC address of both her cable modem and her computer's Ethernet port. When combined with the facts about her hard drive replacement (and her failure to disclose those facts to the investigators), her "tereastarr" username, and the new theories that she offered yesterday for the first time in more than three years, jurors clearly remained unconvinced by her protestations of innocence.

that's interesting. i wasn't aware that isps can log the mac addresses of individual computers on a wireless router. i thought it can only log the mac address of the cable modem...

MAMBO04
06-19-2009, 08:11 PM
what douche bags

1.9 million dollars?! That is ridiculous lol i have about 10,000 songs, oh dear :D

she should appeal and shove that fine up their asses!

harshytkage
06-20-2009, 02:20 AM
what douche bags

1.9 million dollars?! That is ridiculous lol i have about 10,000 songs, oh dear :D

she should appeal and shove that fine up their asses!

They should've fined her 1.9 Million peanuts instead, much easier to shove up their asses :yup:

OTO
06-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Wow
Just wow. :blink:
80 000$ for each song? :blink:

manu1991
06-20-2009, 04:01 AM
What a fine legal system the US has :D

Now people with open WiFi networks should be careful , they can be screwed big time

TPB already has a torrent with all these 24 songs called "Songs the RIAA can go fuck themselves to" :P

megabyteme
06-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Very disturbing- growing up in the US, we were always told that, "we are the freest country in the world" and "other countries live with oppression","we take for granted rights that other countries wish they could have", and many things like that.

Now, the world is more multi-national, our economy is in bad shape, our judicial system is bending to corporate interests, I don't even need to mention our "health care" system.

Probably what disturbs me the most is when I see critical comments from people in other countries and I know they are right. We don't have the same kind of problems that Iran (or Iraq, you are welcome)is having, but we weren't supposed to be compared against these kinds of places.

kick
06-22-2009, 08:14 AM
called "Songs the RIAA can go fuck themselves to" :P[/QUOTE]

right on

Appzalien
06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Land of the not so free and home of the slaves. Its a sad day when the justice system supports the big corporation and pee's on the little guy. If one of the music industy moguls was caught stealing millions of dollars they would get a slap on the wrist or maybe a few years in a country club type federal prison. What's this country coming to? The Founding Fathers are all rolling over in their graves right now, if ever there was a time to over throw a corrupt government it would be NOW! This two party monopoly of corruption and greed has got to end or we will all suffer the fate of Rome.