PDA

View Full Version : No Drive Access

Storm
09-28-2003, 03:49 PM
2 weeks ago i kinda messed up my permission settings. no one, not even windows could access the hard drives........

i was able to insert an old HDD into my comp and install XP on that........

now i can access all drives except for the old C: drive (now F: )

but i really need to get into that because i have some REALLY important files on that............

is there any way to do this???

error i get when i want to open the F: drive:
http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=oSxYu840b4XInvmDJnM9gGXtr&ext=.jpg

properties of the F: drive:
http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=fCCyVseqlNH5EWDKNSGmUiWCG&ext=.jpg

note that the F: drive was NTFS formatted, and has a size of about 2 GB, even though it shows up as 0 bytes........... i havent done any chages to it.......

any help is REALLY appreciated........

Livy
09-28-2003, 03:59 PM
try setting up permissions again, im not exactly sure how it shoudl look as i have xp home

edit: on 2nd thoughts looks like u dont even have acces to the permissions bit, u could try repartioning the drive if u dotn have any stuff on it u need.

exeus
09-28-2003, 04:01 PM
the pic of the properties say "file system raw" <---- there is no file system.... no files.... no access.....

Livy
09-28-2003, 04:05 PM
thats what i thought to, but i thought that coulda been due to not having privelages.
you can use the disk manager to repartition it

exeus
09-28-2003, 04:19 PM
it already is partitioned just not formatted..... he said he had important files... but IMO they r as good as lost you can try to recover the files if he wants to do that it is best not to touch that partition untill he has research recovering the files i have recovered files like this before it takes alot of work and only one bit of info in the file spec if it is an exe is corrupt the whole file will be IMO i would forget what was there and start again

Livy
09-28-2003, 04:22 PM
also, dont keep important files on ur os partition, incase it happens again, i never keep any important stuff, or n=anything really on the same drive as my os, just windows and installed programs, which i have all the installs for

MUSLEMAN
09-28-2003, 04:33 PM
try easy recovery pro 6.3 it has a reformat partition feature not sure if its gonna work in this case tho

clocker
09-28-2003, 04:34 PM
I found this response to a very similar question on another forum, perhaps it will help...

Take ownership of the files using the method described in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 810881 "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder (start at resolution step 2).

Wolfmight
09-28-2003, 05:57 PM
It&#39;s prob currupt.

Storm
09-29-2003, 12:44 PM
thnx for the help guys,

safe mode of XP on the new HD allowed me to change the settings of my old XP partition, then i could access and burn the data away, reformat and reinstall XP..........

to bad i dint get ne sleep last nite :P

exeus
09-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Storm@29 September 2003 - 12:44
thnx for the help guys,

safe mode of XP on the new HD allowed me to change the settings of my old XP partition, then i could access and burn the data away, reformat and reinstall XP..........

thanks for the info, so your permition settings disallowed everything and everyone from getting to the hard drive and that is why is showed up RAW?

Storm
09-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by exeus+29 September 2003 - 13:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus @ 29 September 2003 - 13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Storm@29 September 2003 - 12:44
thnx for the help guys,

thanks for the info, so your permition settings disallowed everything and everyone from getting to the hard drive and that is why is showed up RAW? [/b][/quote]
more the lack of permission settings <_<

i was messing with them, and then it did all funny so i thought id just delete all the settings, and take ownership to reset them all........... problem was i couldnt take ownership, so no one had permission..........

and i guess the reason for it showing up "RAW" is a combination of the lack of the permission and XP being on that drive, cause in safe mode it just worked as you would have expected: i wasnt able to view it at all, but i WAS able to take ownership........