PDA

View Full Version : OpenBitTorrent - An open tracker project

Stellar
07-04-2009, 06:34 AM
http://openbittorrent.com/

From the site:
Just to make it clear so people sending DMCA takedown notices understand:

We do not have any content.
We are not a bittorrent site, we are just a tracker, we can not see what content is behind an info_hash.
We don't have any torrent files.
We can't give you any IP addresses in any other way than normal tracker usage - the software don't support it.
We can't verify any claims when we have no data other than the info_hash.
We can't block info_hash keys from being registered with the tracker.
We don't have any logs or ways to trace previous connections, there is just not enough disk and IO resources in the world for that (at least not at our operational budget).
And most importantly, we have no time.

So what should you as a content owner do? Contact the indexing site where the torrent download originated from and ask them nicely to remove the listing and the .torrent file!

Do you think that this will be a coming trend for torrent trackers as they attempt to dodge litigation and/or other legal issues?

The_Martinator
07-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Do you think that this will be a coming trend for torrent trackers as they attempt to dodge litigation and/or other legal issues?

If it proves succesfull it might. Tbh, I don't know if this could work or not, but it's worth a try.

harshytkage
07-04-2009, 08:18 AM
it's different at least,but sounds like a nice idea though, you're own tracker...

whiteboy
07-04-2009, 09:39 AM
sounds cool.

flashback3r
07-04-2009, 09:44 AM
sounds interesting actually... ^^

Stellar
07-04-2009, 11:28 AM
It should mentioned that this appears to be connected to one of the co-founders of The Pirate Bay, Fredrik Neij (TiAMO).

VinX
07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
well its like the public tracker but without a torrent site ..

sez
07-04-2009, 08:32 PM
if you look at the announce urls of torrents from public torrent sites am sure you'll see plenty of similar trackers.e.g http://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6669/announce
Hope the guy didn't apply for copyright.

hotshot6473
07-05-2009, 01:32 AM
why is it using the SCC logo? or at least something really similiar

Stellar
07-05-2009, 04:45 AM
why is it using the SCC logo? or at least something really similiar
It's part of a vast conspiracy.

realityhd
07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I think that we will see a trend towards projects like that at the same time you see traditional private torrent sites go to the fringe or even try and go underground.

I want to test out this this project.

Cabalo
07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
this could be interesting if the source code would be available.
whoever gets their hands on it will have the next gen sharing upper hand.

edit: just found it at another thread. ignore.

now, this seems yummy. will take a look into it.

Wwwildthing
07-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't get all the excitement... the code's been available since 2004.

mrnobody
07-06-2009, 11:39 PM
It should mentioned that this appears to be connected to one of the co-founders of The Pirate Bay, Fredrik Neij (TiAMO).

it's literally TPB with different name.

both TPB and OBT are owned by Neil, hosted from same ip, and torrentz too.

lysine
07-07-2009, 06:54 AM
does no one remember mongo56? it was a huge open tracker.

filenetworks
07-07-2009, 08:36 AM
does no one remember mongo56? it was a huge open tracker.

Here is the admin's blog: http://mongo56.blogspot.com/

Stellar
07-07-2009, 11:24 AM
This thread was created not because an open tracker is a completely new thing, but for various other reasons. One obvious reason is the people who are behind the creation of this tracker (OBT)

If there were far more trackers like this, it would obviously be a bit more difficult for copyright organizations to have content removed. On the main OBT page one can clearly see the statements about how content cannot be controlled nor monitored. There are many interesting possibilities with a tracker like this. ;)

tonybouy
08-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Hello. I just joined to reply to this topic as it is interesting. I saw a site just lately, dunnsearch.org (http://dunnsearch.org), It seems to be just like this but seems to improve on it with multiple tracker url's. has the same text at homepage do. just thought i should point out other websites are doing this aswell.