PDA

View Full Version : Kazza And The Riaa

blue9
09-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Description
The makers of Kazaa media software, the program facing legal action from the RIAA, have caught the Recording Industry Association of America and a number of entertainment companies by surprise by suing them for copyright infringement.

Earlier this week Sharman Networks, the distributors of Kazaa, accused the RIAA and several entertainment companies of violating its copyrights by using the unauthorized Kazaa Lite in order to discover the IP addresses of alleged music downloaders. According to Sharman Networks, the RIAA used Kazaa Lite at a congressional hearing in Washington, D.C., earlier this year in order to demonstrate what types of files were being shared.

Sharman Networks has been trying to stop the distribution of Kazaa Lite claiming its existence constitutes a breach of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

RIAA Statement

Sharman Networks' newfound admiration for the importance of copyright law is ironic to say the least, the RIAA statement says. Too bad this self-serving respect stops at its headquarters' door... and doesn't extend to preventing the rampant piracy on their networks or lifting a finger to educate their users about the consequences of illegal file sharing.

Alan Morris, Sharman's executive vice president, read the statement and replied, It's ironic that somebody who's suing 12-year-old girls for copyright infringement themselves blatantly disregard copyright laws, who's being more ironic?

Morris commented on the use of Kazaa Lite during the congressional hearing, they are using a hacked version of our code. That's a straightforward Digital Millennium Copyright Act violation.

The lawsuit however, is not limited to the RIAA using Kazaa Lite. According to Morris even if the RIAA used the original Kazaa Media Desktop software to track users, that would represent a violation of the software's end-user license agreement. Kazaa Media Desktop's license agreement prohibits users from monitoring traffic or making search requests in order to accumulate information about individual users.
The license also prohibits users from transmitting, accessing, or communicating any data that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any party. The RIAA claims that Sharman Networks is not enforcing that part of the license agreement.

The Sharman Networks counterclaim, filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, claims that companies within the music and movie industries have conspired to keep them from offering licensed content over Kazaa.

3rd gen noob
09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
been posted before...

plus the lounge is no place for serious debate

edit: actually, this forum is no place for serious debate

huuramis
09-29-2003, 11:11 AM
stop talking about the riaa. they are not going to catche you ffs.

if they come to sure me, what are they going to take ? i dont have anything for them to take because nothing in this house belongs to me. they cant take my house cause it belongs to homeswest.

so fuck you riaa you cock smokers.

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 11:17 AM
I assume that they can have the debt placed on record. It would then be up to you how you pay it.

Can they not do something with regard to your income, over a protracted period "garner" or "garnish" something like that. So the law suit would not be limited to your current assets, but would include your future earning potential.

I'm not au fait with the American civil law, however this seems likely.

huuramis
09-29-2003, 11:19 AM
i dont have an income

3rd gen noob
09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by huuramis@29 September 2003 - 11:19
i dont have an income
you may in the future...

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by huuramis@29 September 2003 - 12:19
i dont have an income
How do you live, if it's with parents or whatever then one assumes that one day you hope to have an income.

If they sue 12 year olds they will sue anyone.

If you are living on some sort of benefit, then presumably you intend one day to get another source of income. They don't have to rush, they don't really need the money.

They may even be able to get some of your benefit.

huuramis
09-29-2003, 11:25 AM
i will make a whole in my bedroom and hide untill the year 20051231298 and then they will never find me

J'Pol
09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by huuramis@29 September 2003 - 12:25
i will make a whole in my bedroom and hide untill the year 20051231298 and then they will never find me
Good plan. Never thought of that.

You have obviously thought this all thro'.