PDA

View Full Version : AMD Launches Five New Six-core Opterons

Darth Sushi
07-14-2009, 01:58 AM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Opteron,2-5-177629-1.jpgAMD Launches Five New Six-core Opterons
by Marcus Yam, 6:20 PM - July 13, 2009

" Three of AMD's new Opterons are energy misers.

AMD today rolled out three new six-core Opteron HE processors family that are designed for those who are energy conscious.

All three new chips are manufactured on a 45-nm process and consume 55W – marked improvement over 75W and 105W of other Opteron models. HP is now shipping 2-, 4- and 8-processor systems.

AMD said that the new six-core Opteron HE processor offers up to 18 percent lower platform-level power consumption over the standard wattage version and up to 18 percent better performance-per-watt compared to the quad-core version. AMD says that it will unveil processors with even greater energy efficiency later this year.

The new chips run at 2 GHz and 2.1 GHz and are priced from US$455 to $1,514 each in 1,000-unit quantities.

For those looking for more performance (at the expense of power efficiency), AMD is also unveiling two new, full-featured Six-Core AMD Opteron SE processors at 2.8 GHz for systems with up to 8 processors. "

:source: Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-phenom-athlon-opteron-cpu,8240.html

dadelor
07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Wow very interesting, Im sure these things dont touch the i7's. but is this AMD's start at making a comeback against Intel?

turin
07-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Due cor,e Quad core, and now six-core, when will it ever end!

harshytkage
07-15-2009, 01:13 AM

You want it to end? XD

Darth Sushi
07-15-2009, 02:31 AM

"Moore's Law― which states that the number of transistors on a chip doubles every 18 months--has been the guiding principle of the high-tech industry since it was coined by Intel co-founder Gordon Moore in 1965."

turin
07-15-2009, 06:27 AM

You want it to end? XD

I'm happy with my good old single core PC :cool:

aushvill
07-17-2009, 02:33 AM
these r not at par with the Core i7'z .
AMD better hurry else Intel will b uncatchable !

ulun64
07-17-2009, 02:29 PM
AMD lack behind intel, I do hope they catch up....

bioflare
07-30-2009, 12:57 AM
AMD is probably trying to move in a slightly different direction than intel. At the moment they can't even touch the speed of intel. So their processors seem to be going for more work with programs that can take advantage of multiple cores. =/ not such a smart move, since the market still doesn't have that many programs that use multiple cores effectively.

lynx
07-31-2009, 08:32 AM
AMD is probably trying to move in a slightly different direction than intel. At the moment they can't even touch the speed of intel. So their processors seem to be going for more work with programs that can take advantage of multiple cores. =/ not such a smart move, since the market still doesn't have that many programs that use multiple cores effectively.
The Opteron is aimed at the multi-user/server arena. Plenty of scope for use of lots of cores in that market. It's competitor is the Xeon, comparing it against the i7 is nonsense.

saulin
08-02-2009, 06:13 PM

You want it to end? XD

I would be happy if applications would just use all cores.

But the Mame emulator barely uses 2 and it doesn't even use 100%, I have seen load of about 78% max and the emulator basically is saying that your CPU is not fast enough. Some games still run about 70% speed at 4Ghz lol.