PDA

View Full Version : Help...Comcast is going to cut me off if I don't stay under 250 GB's this month

mad555
07-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Hi, I am looking for some help. Comcast called last week and said i DLed & Upled a combined 772 GB's for the month of June and said they will disconnect my service if I do it again. Since they sneakily implemented their 250 GB limit in October 2008, they never had a problem with me using their bandwidth as much as I normally do, which is way over 250 GBs per month. 772 GBs is a bit higher than average because I got a whole bunch of WII games, HD movies, and a couple xbox360 games last month. I have since, started monitoring my usage with net-meter, and it isn't looking to good for me. I was wondering if there is a way to block comcast from seeing how much bandwidth I use each month, because I will inevitably be disconnected. I do not want to curb my usage because then I will not be able to Download what I like and I like to upload twice as much as I download. What can I do from being disconnected and download/upload as much as I want?
Any help is appreciated.

puckface
07-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Ummmmm, change ISP's, stop downloading or get disconnected. Those seem like your only choices. Good luck

E3DaMeX
07-14-2009, 03:54 AM
Changing your ISP would probably be the best choice if you know you won't make it. If FioS is in your area get it. =P

mad555
07-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Changing your ISP would probably be the best choice if you know you won't make it. If FioS is in your area get it. =P

thank you for your help. I do have fios in my area. do you know off hand if it is any good compared to comcast?

PlayeR
07-14-2009, 04:06 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to block comcast from seeing how much bandwidth I use each month, because I will inevitably be disconnected. I do not want to curb my usage because then I will not be able to Download what I like and I like to upload twice as much as I download. What can I do from being disconnected and download/upload as much as I want?
Any help is appreciated.

no you cant do that....if there is a method for that. then people will just take the cheapest package and download as much as they can...

what you can do is either download less or change ISP..

realityhd
07-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Get usenet.

Don't seed back 2x what you upload.

Get a better isp.

FiOS is awesome.

DonkeyPacker
07-14-2009, 04:51 AM
FIOS is fantastic, infinitely better than Comcast. If you switch, you'll love it.

Blackbeard
07-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Well, that is a lot for you to be using all i can do is download around 70gb a month sometimes anyways if you need to seed what you download get a seedbox if you got the money for torrents you could use newsgroups but they probably wouldn't have everything you want.

megabyteme
07-14-2009, 06:04 AM
You can contact Comcast and discuss your usage. Ask if they have a package that is not limited to 250GB. You should be able to get some kind of estimate of your "normal" usage.

I called them the other day (for a different matter) and ended up talking to a guy about faster service. They have several packages, including some for business. I ended up increasing my speed to the next higher level. If I went any higher, I would need a different modem so I stopped there. If they call me, I will be willing to pay for increased capacities.

At least it is an option...

Please let me know what package you do go with (if you stay with Comcast) and what the cost will be.

iLOVENZB
07-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Have you ever heard of the General use policy? Seriously if everyone downloaded that much a month then the ISP would you kaput.

sickest
07-18-2009, 03:54 PM
drop comcast. they are a bunch of dicks anyways.

colbert
07-18-2009, 11:06 PM
You could switch to a business plan with Comcast. I don't think those are metered.

saulin
07-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Get usenet! like someone said. No need to seed anything and 250 gig a month is a lot you freak. I can't remember the last time I downloaded that much in 1 month and I can get 2-3 Megabytes per second.

You seriously need to stop downloading so much garbage or simply quit torrenting and switch to usenet if uploading is killing you.

bigtimedon
07-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Ummmmm, change ISP's, stop downloading or get disconnected. Those seem like your only choices. Good luck

This. much easier way.

primevil
07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
tell comcast to shove their F*kn cap up their ass and switch isps after you download until they kick you off.

SelfMadeMMAn
07-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Simply up your plan, I did, now I got 500 GB to play with

Rashean700
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
i use to work for comcast and there is no rule stating they will cut you off its mostly a threat to scare you into doing it. I worked in state college pa and our system was able to handle the traffic all day with no issues. Its a way to keep the bandwidth usage down for them.

Zip
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Just ignore them. If they disconnect you, then switch to another ISP. :P

Octane
07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
You think 250 gb is bad? I get a measily 90 gb, and it's expensive as hell !

saulin
07-30-2009, 12:16 AM

250GB/month is lots.

I get 100GB/month but I can double it and my ISP won't say anything. But I really can't remember the last time I hit 250GB in 30 days. That's a lot.

iLOVENZB
07-30-2009, 07:31 AM

I pay 41USD for 30GB/month including uploads. Not as bad as 10GB/month excluding uploads for the same price.

Also note I'm not in the US or EU countries.

Zip
07-30-2009, 05:57 PM

I pay 41USD for 30GB/month including uploads. Not as bad as 10GB/month excluding uploads for the same price.

I see why you love NZB, no need to upload. :P
How fast (or slow) is your connection anyways if I may ask?

iLOVENZB
07-30-2009, 10:52 PM

I see why you love NZB, no need to upload. :P
How fast (or slow) is your connection anyways if I may ask?

1500/256 which is probably standard around here. If you're lucky enough to get ADSL2+ then you can get speeds of 24mb/1mb, but that's only in the cities.

Also the Government paid jobs get speeds of 80mb/80mb (depending on where they're located in the country).

When I used to go to school the speed was 11mb/11mb, which was sad because nobody around us could get anymore than 1.5mb.

The Government has said he'll introduce FTTH in the near future, which in my opinion will be overpriced and be taken over by Telstra.

Snadbad
08-16-2009, 02:32 AM
I currently run on FiOS and it is 100% better than Comcast. I found that Comcrap was down nearly 50% of the time I went to use the internet. When calling tech support they would claim either a small outage in my area was currently showing up, or there was some maintenence, or they would say they didn't see problems. I never have those problems with FiOS. It's 100% solid and we don't have a bandwidth limit :)

DanielleD87
08-17-2009, 05:52 AM
You can contact Comcast and discuss your usage. Ask if they have a package that is not limited to 250GB. You should be able to get some kind of estimate of your "normal" usage.

I called them the other day (for a different matter) and ended up talking to a guy about faster service. They have several packages, including some for business. I ended up increasing my speed to the next higher level. If I went any higher, I would need a different modem so I stopped there. If they call me, I will be willing to pay for increased capacities.

At least it is an option...

Please let me know what package you do go with (if you stay with Comcast) and what the cost will be.
if you go for a higher plan that requires a different modem (sb6120 currently) then you will have higher priority over normal users (even business users) and will not be capped by the 250gb limit.

There is a way! You can buy a hacked sb5101 and then you will have a second hacked line. You can do all your BT on that line and keep your normal stuff on your paid line. If you do that then you will look like a good user. Just keep in mind that hacked lines are also limited to 250GB so every time you get close (like 200GB) then you will want to switch your ID on your hacked line. if you're using 1TB a month then once every week you will need to change the hacked modems ID. It will make the legit users you're pretending to be get fucked in the ass but that isn't your issue regardless.

Beck38
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Two-Three things to keep in mind...

1. Comcrud 'corporate' rules/regs are kept VERY close to 'internal' only, as they are being watched like a hawk by Uncle Charlie (the FCC) after they were fined several million $, and that was under the old 'business can do anything Republican admin a year ago. New FCC chief now in charge.

2. As a VERY long time stockholder in Verizon/Bell Atlantic/GTE, about half the FIOS plants around the US are being sold by them in an attempt to recoup costs, before the corporate slides into bankruptcy. A lot of the plants (including the ones close to me) are being sold off to Frontier Communications, which can (or maybe can't) spell 'FIOS'; some of the first systems they bought up in New England (New Hampshire and the like) quickly gained nationwide rep for extremely poor service.

3. Any 'shared' service like cable internet is going to have serious 'fair use' restrictions, that's the downside of the technology. 'Fast in Spurts' is the watchword, not a high rate of steady flow. So-called 'business class' levels are available, at 'business' prices.

4. Stop trying to gauge services by their 'peak' throughput, look closer at throughput over time. I d/l well over 1TB a month on what looks like, at first glance, a sluggish (but very cheap) DSL line of 3Mb/s. But it runs 24/7. I've had one instance in some 10 years of service where half the state was out due to a major border router failure. Not a week goes by that I don't see Comcrud internet repair trucks in my cul-do-sac beating on their lines, as my neighbors will 'pull their chain' pretty quickly if things go wrong. But I guess they got sold into 'triple-screwed' package or something. I haven't had 'cable' hooked to any house I've owned in over 25+ years (so I never have to chase 'floating grounds' and such the cableco likes to introduce!).

megabyteme
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Danielle! I found a guide here: http://stol3n.cc/modem-hacking/sb5101/ It's primarily for Uk, but there is a lot of info in it.

It just so happens that I purchased a SB5101 not too long ago. :D

This could be a lot of fun!

DanielleD87
08-20-2009, 12:04 AM
If you're interested you might want to try this: http://www.sbhacker.net/forum/index.php/topic/11731-100-noob-101-tutorial/

It is an overal and isn't detailed but it makes notice of being secure. Hacking hacked net can be dangerous if you go out of your way to get caught. (most people do not understand how ISPs identify their userbase) So I highly recommend you read at least the first paragraph or two of that tutorial first and make sure you're not modifying a modem your ISP already ties to your user account.

Also, make sure to use a different mac address for your router when connecting to the hacked net vs the mac address used for your legit net. Your ISP can find you that way as well.

megabyteme
08-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks again, Danielle. I have registered my modem.:O

TLwhore
08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I know this has been said before but i will say it again. Get a seedbox you will only use a thrid of what you are using now if you like to have a 2:1 ratio, or you could even seed back more.

DanielleD87
08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks again, Danielle. I have registered my modem.:O
wooops lol
hopefully you didn't do anything 'dangerous'