PDA

View Full Version : Content or Community

pen15
07-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Would you rather join a site like uk-t that has a tight knit community or a site like ptp which has a lot of content but lacks security

For me security is important but I don't see the point of going to a site just to chat.

killercam101
07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Would you rather join a site like uk-t that has a tight knit community or a site like ptp which has a lot of content but lacks security

For me security is important but I don't see the point of going to a site just to chat.

good for you :yup:

pen15
07-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks I'm happy knowing that I use my trackers instead of just being there for the sake of it.

Nemrod
07-18-2009, 07:39 PM
What about sites where you can find both things?. One thing does not exclude the other.

pen15
07-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Obviously there are exceptions but if you were to pick one or the other which one would it be.

The_Martinator
07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Content is first for me. but a good community is also important.

Luckily I can have both.

NickW
07-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Content comes first, but a community is always nice of course. After all it's the community that provides the content.

Nemrod
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Obviously there are exceptions but if you were to pick one or the other which one would it be.

I canīt honestly answer your question as you expect.
The main reason for me being active in any given site is that I feel comfortable... furthermore, I am active in many trackers but my type of activity or my behavior may be quite different from one site to another. I have sites that I use only for getting stuff (leech, seed and never seen their forums), in others I am happy being active in forums... I even have sites where I like to read the forums and never post. In a few I like more to upload shit or fill requests... at this point and after many years I have only 1 or maybe 2 sites where I can say that they are perfect. I can find there all I need and I want:

Now you could ask me what makes me feel so comfortable... Iīd say, the perfect combination in the right doses of all aspects involving what from my understanding itīs torrenting supposed to be: mature and respectful community, nice and fair staff, security of course, good content, the possibility of allow users to do something else... etc.

LubTheStaringCat
07-18-2009, 08:32 PM
How many threads have there been like this, completely pointless.
Tho you know what's coming next, "pen15's" disagreement that posting this shit Is relevant.:ghey:

pen15
07-18-2009, 08:48 PM
It isn't I just like to piss off morons like you. Anyways touche Nemrod. I couldn't of said it better.

NippleCake
07-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Or um...why not just be on any sites you want to be on? you can be on however many sites you feel, there is no rule saying you cannot have over 5 trackers or whatever. Then you can download from some of them, and also "talk" with other people if you feel like it. Its your internetz do what you want with it :ermm:

LubTheStaringCat
07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
"Nemrod" maybe correct In what he says, but you are still an arsewipe for posting this crap In the first place.

IdolEyes787
07-18-2009, 09:17 PM

Neither , that's why I like this place.

That and I have a phobia about " top sites". :rolleyes:

pen15
07-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry you feel that way but I like to be heard. Internet=No discretion for me.

IdolEyes787
07-18-2009, 09:22 PM
I think that this would be an appropriate place for a gif.

NippleCake
07-18-2009, 09:27 PM
EDIT: this pic isnt worthy of you foo's ;)

pffm
07-18-2009, 09:29 PM
!summon killercam101

1000possibleclaws
07-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm sure content will be most popular for 99% of private torrent users. Then the 1% who take torrenting very seriously will care more about community trackers just because they have lots of friends on them already. If you don't know people on a particular 0day site I can't imagine yourself caring about the community there.

That being said there are lots of niche sites that have a great community who share everything they have or whatever they can, and that kind of good community makes a tracker's content excel.

Tutela
07-18-2009, 10:16 PM
content..... obviously.

oria
07-18-2009, 10:19 PM
basicaly contect...

pen15
07-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I just don't understand why sites like uk-t and fsc have no activity. Wouldn't being at a rare site encourage one to be active.

Zaxx
07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
You won't find much 'community' on most any of the sites...gotta go to their IRC to 'really' discover the community factor.
Not quite the same as it used to be before TBDev and ratios took over...:mellow:

sez
07-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I just don't understand why sites like uk-t and fsc have no activity. Wouldn't being at a rare site encourage one to be active.

i'd be very surprised if by no activity you mean the forums coz last i heard,these forums are supposed to be well beyond active.

If you mean activity torrentwise then i think that would pretty much explain why we have so many peers on TL<--the compromised tracker that they so like to bash.

but as of my opinion i'd say community is definitely great but content is also much more important otherwise why would members sneak out of these fortresses to leech off TL?

Thanks I'm happy knowing that I use my trackers instead of just being there for the sake of it.
That kinda made me giggle :lol:

TP635
07-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Contain is the basic reason why tracker exist
Community is just a huge bonus.

A new BT user will ALWAYS value contain over community
But as he become more experience, the community aspect of the tracker he use get more noticed. And he moves on to find that balance

Zip
07-19-2009, 12:46 AM

Neither, I would rather join a secure site with lots of content. And this forum covers the community part if I'm in need of one. :)

Funkin'
07-19-2009, 01:01 AM
For me, content always come first. That is what bittorrent is all about. Luckily I'm a part of a site or two that has both excellent content and a nice community(meaning very nice, helpful staff, and the majority of the members are nice).

NippleCake
07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Those "high level" "rare" sites are only "rare" for security reasons, as most of them have had security issues, for example two of the trackers that are "High level" were born out of a torrent site being busted and taken down by the police.

Now, these sites are all very active, and in the case of one of the sites, they have the best torrent activity i have seen for such a small site. So to be honest, i think if you arent a member of a torrent site, you should reserve judgement and wait to actually see what a tracker is like rather than writing whatever bullshit the next idiot puts into your head.

Tokeman
07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm in it for the chicks :cool:

realityhd
07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm in it to pretend I'm a chick on irc and tranny surprise Tokeman.

nemrac
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Hard to pick one over the other. Most sites have the same content, with some exceptions (packs, etc..). You can typically find the same general content on all trackers. Example - True Blood airs Sunday night, within a few hours, it is on ScT, FTN, PTN, etc

The communities are very similar too. I find similar posts/threads on most forums too. Example - Rate this girl, what do you d/l the most, what are you listening to, etc...

so i think it's a combo of both and the overall style, look, feel of the site rather then just content and community.

Nemrac

Hombre
07-22-2009, 02:22 AM
not a member at any community kind tracker, but if u all stop to look, they all are communities. Tbytes is my favorit one, maybe bcos it was the first first private tracker i joined around 6 months ago. but what would be the point in have a tracker that has community and no files? it's like a forum then. and for a forum, fst fits perfectly.

cinephilia
07-22-2009, 08:17 AM
content of course.

The_Martinator
07-22-2009, 08:20 AM
not a member at any community kind tracker, but if u all stop to look, they all are communities. Tbytes is my favorit one, maybe bcos it was the first first private tracker i joined around 6 months ago. but what would be the point in have a tracker that has community and no files? it's like a forum then. and for a forum, fst fits perfectly.

Maybe it's a community of like-minded people who share the same interests. For instance they like the same movies, so the tracker is very active and they discuss them in the forums. Just an example.

HDZero
07-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Content

Cut-Copy-Paste
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM

The main reason for me being active in any given site is that I feel comfortable... furthermore, I am active in many trackers but my type of activity or my behavior may be quite different from one site to another. I have sites that I use only for getting stuff (leech, seed and never seen their forums), in others I am happy being active in forums... I even have sites where I like to read the forums and never post. In a few I like more to upload shit or fill requests... at this point and after many years I have only 1 or maybe 2 sites where I can say that they are perfect. I can find there all I need and I want:

Now you could ask me what makes me feel so comfortable... Iīd say, the perfect combination in the right doses of all aspects involving what from my understanding itīs torrenting supposed to be: mature and respectful community, nice and fair staff, security of course, good content, the possibility of allow users to do something else... etc.

Did u took Copyright Permission before copying my behavour? :naughty:

IdolEyes787
07-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Maybe it's a community of like-minded people who share the same interests. For instance they like the same movies, so the tracker is very active and they discuss them in the forums. Just an example.

I personally prefer it if everyone isn't so mind-numbingly predictable. I would rather hear different perspectives that widen or perhaps even change my outlook then just have a bunch of clones agreeing about everything.

I know that's not what you meant but it doesn't make it any less true.Part of the problem with the state of affairs with higer end trackers is everyone getting in is a known quantity.Great fr security ,which I suppose must always take precedence, but bad for community .
I mean if everyone knows everyone else already( which alarmingly seems to be the case with most new recruits) what is really the point ?
No discovery makes for a very boring time.

ca_aok
07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd disagree with you IdolEyes. Although there is a group of people that are on all of the rare sites, part of the appeal is each on has some unique active community members that spice things up. Each site has sort of a unique dynamic based around their site features and dedicated uploaders too.

The_Martinator
07-22-2009, 12:06 PM

I personally prefer it if everyone isn't so mind-numbingly predictable. I would rather hear different perspectives that widen or perhaps even change my outlook then just have a bunch of clones agreeing about everything.

I know that's not what you meant but it doesn't make it any less true.Part of the problem with the state of affairs with higer end trackers is everyone getting in is a known quantity.Great fr security ,which I suppose must always take precedence, but bad for community .
I mean if everyone knows everyone else already( which alarmingly seems to be the case with most new recruits) what is really the point ?
No discovery makes for a very boring time.

I can understand what you mean, but I don't agree.

for instance with movies, there might be movies on the tracker that some members know others would prolly enjoy. That's not saying it'll be the case, but most members there are at least interested in the said movies enough to watch them. They can still say that the movie sucked according to them in the forums.

Boring? It's all up to the people there, really. FST is not boring, but I wouldn't call it a nice community as a whole (there are a few great people, but the vast majority of people here are douches). So if I want the opinion of the masses I'll come here. That doesn't mean they're right, but generally the more opinions, the better. More people know more, at least in theory. :yup:

IdolEyes787
07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I'd disagree with you IdolEyes. Although there is a group of people that are on all of the rare sites, part of the appeal is each on has some unique active community members that spice things up. Each site has sort of a unique dynamic based around their site features and dedicated uploaders too.

I agree with the unique members bit which kind of re-enforces my point doesn't it?

Examples of unique features that determine dynamic please .No need to name the individual sites.
Personally I think a site's personality is more or less dependent on the personality of the staff and has very little to do features ( of course you can argue that those features are instituted by the staff:happy:)

And how does any of that apply to the forums ( which is the face of the community) ?

ca_aok
07-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Example of features of a site I really enjoy would be a dynamic promotion system (not just 25GB upload+1 torrent up) and seed bonus system that certainly defines the way the site runs, as it encourages participation on multiple levels. Another example would be the social networking type feature of another site.

The group of folks that are on ALL of these sites (and visibly active in the community on each) is smaller than you'd think. As for the site's personality depending on the staff I'd agree somewhat, but that depends on the site.

As for the forums, they're obviously a bit less active as there are fewer members to post. And there are quite a few of these types of threads on their forums:

Example - Rate this girl, what do you d/l the most, what are you listening to, etc...But at the end of the day it's also easier to get to know people through the forums with fewer people posting, and I find the general maturity level much higher than that on the forums of large 0-day sites.

RizKhan25000
07-22-2009, 01:53 PM

Very good Question!

A few months ago I would have certainly gone for the answer content but now after being around for some time in bittorrent community I know the matters are not so simple.Indeed content is important but from where that content comes from? It is the same that a man needs bread to live but from where that bread comes from. The anwer is from the community. If there is no community then there is no bread. So.... it is same on a tracker ...content comes from the community. if we need content then we surely need community. Well ask me the question .. what is the best way to use a tracker? The anwere is dig in into the community. You would feel every single tracker is a top tracker. You make friends on one tracker .. the same friends may get you into the most elite trackers. But do you need elite trackers if you have friends in the community! You can request any rare hard to find thing and indeed one of your friends would be generous enough to get if for you. But is it only a few material things for which we need community? I don't think so.

I think it is in the blood of a human being to belong, move into and love a community. In the presence of friends we find security, warmth and comfort. So for me now the community factor is more important.

Cabalo
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM
i wouldn't go to a tracker to get to know people, for that i have my real life, it's much funnier.
what i see the most lately in the bt world, is kids with a severe lack of social skills, that naturally reflect on their real personality.
the main error here is assuming people would go join a place looking for a community. It's just plain wrong. You join a place for its contents, after all this is a piracy scene, and eventually you stumble upon the other people who are there, and even more eventually you will feel like interact with them.
This is how a normal tracker socialization process should work, not the other way around.
this is why when i see someone saying he is the "community type guy", i feel like piss on his boots.

beshawn
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/594/lebowskiopinion.jpg

Something Else
07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Without good, original content, a tracker is nothing but a lonely teenage boy's chatroom. :mellow:

IdolEyes787
07-22-2009, 05:49 PM
A few months ago I would have certainly gone for the answer content but now after being around for some time in bittorrent community I know the matters are not so simple.Indeed content is important but from where that content comes from? It is the same that a man needs bread to live but from where that bread comes from. The anwer is from the community. If there is no community then there is no bread.

I always thought that bread came from grain .Shows how much I know.

Qlix
07-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Tracker + Community? That's sooooo 2008

eldiesel
07-23-2009, 10:03 AM

The main reason for me being active in any given site is that I feel comfortable... furthermore, I am active in many trackers but my type of activity or my behavior may be quite different from one site to another. I have sites that I use only for getting stuff (leech, seed and never seen their forums), in others I am happy being active in forums... I even have sites where I like to read the forums and never post. In a few I like more to upload poo or fill requests... at this point and after many years I have only 1 or maybe 2 sites where I can say that they are perfect. I can find there all I need and I want:

Perfect Answer

iLOVENZB
07-23-2009, 10:26 AM
A huge tracker with heaps of content + a IRC channel.

n00bz0r
07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
is that coming from a guy who is a member at both the places? :huh:
if not, comments like these from guys who dun know shit about these places does nothing more than pissing others off.

last time i checked both of them are pretty active for the userbase they have..but yeah, its a fact that most of the members on these trackers also have memberships on other trackers as well.. so that does take its toll on leeching activity of the trackers concerned.
I am yet to come across anyone who uses one site and only one alone for content needs..but ofc it depends on the individual in question..:whistling

As far as i am concerned, i tend to value the community they have..:happy:

Zip
07-23-2009, 11:09 AM
By putting a userbar in your signature to advertise? or maybe brag? :dabs:

Qlix
07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
No one flamed my post... Where are the trolls?

Well, to be more specific... I think most of the sites with good communities destroyed it by inviting morons. IRC channels used to be friendly, now it looks like a kindergarden. (And yes, I know that's a typo. I never learn)

I'm not saying it's bad to invite people. I'm just saying you should consider which users gets invites and who is allowed in...

NippleCake
07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Qlix is getting jealous that he no longer feels the most 1337 out of all the FST users =\

sez
07-23-2009, 02:42 PM

oh k...assuming he aint a music fan then i think he is basically saying am looking for e****,just look at the number of times he's mentioned FLAC on his profile.Notice the obsession?good,now re-read this post again :P.

n00bz0r
07-23-2009, 03:08 PM

oh k...assuming he aint a music fan then i think he is basically saying am looking for e****,just look at the number of times he's mentioned FLAC on his profile.Notice the obsession?good,now re-read this post again :P.

duh..:pinch:
Zip dude..how dumb can you get?
does havin a sig equate to braggin?

i neva mentioned i was lookin for a tracker.. did i?
and as far as E is concerned.. i am there already.

I DON'T NEED INVITATION TO ANY TRACKER.. I AM HAPPY WID THE ONES I AM ALREADY ON!!
ya want me to reiterate that statement on every freckin post of mine? :frusty:

Zip
07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Zip dude..how dumb can you get?
Stupidity is infinite, so I have no idea.

does havin a sig equate to braggin?
I don't know, that's why I asked. :unsure:

i neva mentioned i was lookin for a tracker.. did i?
What? Did I claim you were? :lol:

and as far as E is concerned.. i am there already.

I DON'T NEED INVITATION TO ANY TRACKER.. I AM HAPPY WID THE ONES I AM ALREADY ON!!
ya want me to reiterate that statement on every freckin post of mine? :frusty:
:rolleyes:

The latter part of your post would probably fit better in one or more of Qlix's threads.

Well, to be more specific... I think most of the sites with good communities destroyed it by inviting morons. IRC channels used to be friendly, now it looks like a kindergarden. (And yes, I know that's a typo. I never learn
Destroy is a big word, but I have to agree to some point. It's always nice with new members but eh, there are members who post more than 100 spam-posts a day, upload an insane amount with their numerous seedboxes, and go around saying "I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY IT'S THE BEST" after having joined the site a few hours ago. :dabs:
It somehow ruins the spirit on the site in my opinion.

The_Martinator
07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh, oh. N00bz0r is mad now!!

Guys, FYI, he really is obsessed with FLACs. Yes, sometimes it's that simple.

Jezebel
07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
"Fapping to FLAC" what a sick dude... but obsessed indeed lol
I dont think he is in E its too hard to get ;)

ca_aok
07-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Perhaps for a trader/ratio cheater like yourself. You just have to know the right people, or you did back before invites were basically closed up.

IronClouds
07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
True story ^^ Honestly, no site is that hard to get into if you know the right people. In any case, I'll get back on topic. I think content and community are equally important.

IdolEyes787
07-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Oversimplifying to sound PC. The question is which is more important?

Given the choice between middling content and brilliant community or middling community and brilliant content which would you choose?

I'd take community every time.

I can buy music,rent games or go to movies anytime I want but finding anyone interesting to talk to is much more difficult and finding friends considerably harder ( and more rewarding ) still.

And the next person who gives me the garbage about " knowing the right people " ( fucking stupid way to view things/live your life - to grade someone on their assumed importance) gets a face full of my right fist (in spirit at least).

Zip
07-25-2009, 09:20 PM
True story ^^ Honestly, no site is that hard to get into if you know the right people. In any case, I'll get back on topic. I think content and community are equally important.
I have to disagree, totally. For example; I know 100 persons on HDbits, but none of them can get me in because invites are disabled. And don't tell me they are all wrong persons and staff are they only right ones. :lol:

n00bz0r
07-26-2009, 01:33 AM
ZOMG.. IC on FST?? :lol:
so good to see ya bud! :happy:

and yeah.. nothin is impossible. Its all about who you are!
Being honest and genuine takes ya places. But, sadly thats not the case wid most FST users. :huh:

IdolEyes787
07-26-2009, 01:44 AM
But, sadly thats not the case wid most FST users. :huh:

And you have proof of that figure ?
Cause from where I stand the bad users are in the minority they are just so glaringly apparent.

n00bz0r
07-26-2009, 02:07 AM
bud.. thats pretty apparent.
I have been a part of FST for close to 3 months now, and have pretty much seen what goes down in all the sections from the lounge to the trade section. Maybe u are missing it or, want to skip that part coz of being a staffer here.
I am not saying that every single member is a bad apple in here. There are some rly nice guys as well.
But the shear number of Traders (who don't even show up on trades section or anywhere for that matter, after completing 30 posts and a month to get PM rights, but oddly enough, appear visible while reading threads in the trade section :lol:) makes me wonder about the position FST is in.. or, the way it gets perceived as. (not that i care of.. I am too opinionated to budge from my stance if i am sure about something.And tbh, i am liking FST even as i type this down for some inexplicable reason.)

Sadly, I haven't done a statistical analysis to support the obvious. :sad:

The_Martinator
07-26-2009, 09:39 AM
bud.. thats pretty apparent.
I have been a part of FST for close to 3 months now, and have pretty much seen what goes down in all the sections from the lounge to the trade section. Maybe u are missing it or, want to skip that part coz of being a staffer here.
I am not saying that every single member is a bad apple in here. There are some rly nice guys as well.
But the shear number of Traders (who don't even show up on trades section or anywhere for that matter, after completing 30 posts and a month to get PM rights, but oddly enough, appear visible while reading threads in the trade section :lol:) makes me wonder about the position FST is in.. or, the way it gets perceived as. (not that i care of.. I am too opinionated to budge from my stance if i am sure about something.And tbh, i am liking FST even as i type this down for some inexplicable reason.)

Sadly, I haven't done a statistical analysis to support the obvious. :sad:

No analysis here either, but there are quite a few accounts who are active here but don't have even 30 posts. What are they doing? :whistling
The trade section seems to have a lot of people viewing it most of the time. And not all of them are trader hunters, ya digg? :yup:

Zip
07-26-2009, 09:43 AM
The trading section is pretty dead in my opinion. :rolleyes: