PDA

View Full Version : Baseball anyone [Favorite team/player(s)]

SelfMadeMMAn
07-19-2009, 04:46 AM
I have off and on been watching baseball as long as I have been watching sports {which is as long as I can remember] but in the past year, I can not get enough baseball. Well, as you can see from my icon, I am a huge LSU fan, and when I was watching baseball, I followed the Cubs. Now that I found a new love of the game, Ryan Theriot [from LSU, signed to Cubs in 2005]. Love watch Z pitch. Alfonso Soriano's three run shot tonight was a thing of beauty. D. Lee is a beast on the field and in the batters box. Very curious to see what BJ Ryan will do for em. Second place, 2 games behind the Cards.

MaxOverlord
07-24-2009, 01:36 AM
I have off and on been watching baseball as long as I have been watching sports {which is as long as I can remember] but in the past year, I can not get enough baseball. Well, as you can see from my icon, I am a huge LSU fan, and when I was watching baseball, I followed the Cubs. Now that I found a new love of the game, Ryan Theriot [from LSU, signed to Cubs in 2005]. Love watch Z pitch. Alfonso Soriano's three run shot tonight was a thing of beauty. D. Lee is a beast on the field and in the batters box. Very curious to see what BJ Ryan will do for em. Second place, 2 games behind the Cards.

Don't forget Fontenot was at 2nd with Theriot at short during those LSU years..in fact I believe they won a national championship together in 2000....

pone44
07-24-2009, 01:59 AM
The NY Yankees.Mark Teixeira was a great pickup.The Best 1st basemen in the Majors right now.Expensive but well worth it.
Derek Jeter is also an amazing Shortstop. Never seen anyone turn double plays as well as he does. Maybe the best shortstop ever all around.

va3156
07-28-2009, 08:39 AM
The Dodgers are my team :) they got some pretty decent pitching, Billingsley + Kershaw two promising young pitchers

brento
08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Phillies!
Favorite players are Pedro Martinez, Ryan Howard, and Shane Victorino.

2slick4u
08-05-2009, 11:50 PM
i'm dog town Philly fan Rayan Howard. chriss.Lee. C,Hamles i even got hte picture with my son the world champion trophy

MaxOverlord
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I would have to give L.A the slight edge over Philly only because they are probably more hungry...Philly won it last year and burn out,etc is almost inevitable...altho' not guaranteed....L.A has proven they can win without Manny...just look at the record while Pierre was in left. I do believe these to be the two strongest teams in the N.L...in the A.L....Boston is always gonna be there...the central is becoming more interesting by the day...the Twins have Detroit this weekend....Chicago has Peavy now...and I see Detroit burning out a bit as well. At this point the whole league is up for grabs from my perspective....as long as the Yankees get beat..I'm usually pretty happy.......Go Cubbies!!

pone44
08-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Must not have seen today's Yankees vs Red Sox game :P
Great series so far.

sjames1682
08-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Boston is always gonna be there? WTF? Did he forget about 26 world series championships?

MaxOverlord
08-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Boston is always gonna be there? WTF? Did he forget about 26 world series championships?

Boston will always be there means they will always be around competing in that division...but you knew that.

pone44
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
For now.
Every team is competing. They have a great lineup,pitching and Bullpen.Boston should be in the playoff race for the next few years. After that, who knows?

Boston will always be there means they will always be around competing in that division...but you knew that.

MaxOverlord
08-13-2009, 01:08 AM
For now.
Every team is competing. They have a great lineup,pitching and Bullpen.Boston should be in the playoff race for the next few years. After that, who knows?

As much as it pains me to say...I believe NY is the strongest team in the East.

kwanzabot
08-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Red Sox fan here, and ya unfortunately the yankees are taking back the East this year. After the pleasure of watching them miss the postseason last year I can live with the wild card. Now we just have to beat out the Rangers and hold off Tampa Bay for a little longer.

If the bats start up again before the postseason things could get interesting.

pone44
08-20-2009, 07:54 AM
The Yankees vs Red Sox is always interesting. I do not like seeing Boston in the playoffs or the LA Angels. Both have the Yanks number in the postseason. Hopefully not this season.

Red Sox fan here, and ya unfortunately the yankees are taking back the East this year. After the pleasure of watching them miss the postseason last year I can live with the wild card. Now we just have to beat out the Rangers and hold off Tampa Bay for a little longer.

If the bats start up again before the postseason things could get interesting.

kwanzabot
08-20-2009, 03:41 PM
If the most recent yankees - red sox series is any indication, you don't have much to worry about this year.

Although thanks for making us release Smoltz, the guy was plain awful and just making the team worse.

akirabou
08-21-2009, 12:24 AM
i realy like chicago bulles

Johnny10
08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
LeBron

dion09529
12-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Baseball Hall of Fame player George Brett has been eliminated from a 1980 World Series match due to hemorrhoid pain.

After a minor surgery, Brett played in the next match, joking "...my problems are all behind me."

themattler
02-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Let's go Blue Jays!!!!

piercerseth
02-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Both of Chicago's teams look like making the postseason this year. Speaking of, the little league ringer scandal (http://nypost.com/2015/02/11/chicago-little-league-stripped-of-title-for-using-suburban-ringers/) is downright hilarious. Recipients of the Shoeless Joe Jackson sportsmanship award.

IdolEyes787
02-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Both of Chicago's teams look like making the postseason this year.

I'm pretty sure that people thinking they know what is going to happen is why bookies are rich .

megabyteme
02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
I was going to ask if this was about American baseball, or :ghey: european baseball (cricket), but then quickly realized BOTH were quite :ghey:.

piercerseth
02-12-2015, 06:00 PM
quickly realized BOTH were quite :ghey:.
While football has the repetitive brain trauma, domestic violence, and that pink breast cancer shit--I'd posit nothing is more quintessentially American than ducking out of work to lay in the sun, getting plied with overpriced beer and throwing cased meats down your food hole. Listening to a white 40-something asshole in a Yankees cap a row back blather passive aggressively about you not standing to observe God Bless America during the 7th.

Added bonus: if you attend a game at Wrigley you have the privilege of pissing in a literal trough. Savages.

IdolEyes787
02-12-2015, 06:03 PM
I was going to ask if this was about American baseball, or :ghey: european baseball (cricket), but then quickly realized BOTH were quite :ghey:.

I hate baseball as much as the next guy but I dare you to say that to Derek Jeter's face.

OK maybe he's ghey but you have to admit that he's fantastic at covering it up.

Added bonus: if you attend a game at Wrigley you have the privilege of pissing in a literal trough. Savages.

Wrigley and Fenway Park are the only stadiums that matter. All the others are just there to hang a corporate logo on.

megabyteme
02-12-2015, 07:34 PM
I hate baseball as much as the next guy but I dare you to say that to Derek Jeter's face.

OK maybe he's ghey but you have to admit that he's fantastic at covering it up.

One of the best beards ever. Possibly TOO good...

IdolEyes787
02-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Still I don't think that you can argue the point that there is something seriously wrong with a 41 year old guy who exclusively dates 20 year olds.

I mean they're not even interesting 20 year olds who've graduated High School and have thoughts and opinions and unnecessary to a relationship stuff like that.

awesome1382
02-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Evil Empire! Yankees baby!

dickpeters
02-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Baseball is not interesting as it used to be because it seems like it takes so long to play a game today but if I had to pick a team, I would say the Atlanta Braves.

LM1977
02-23-2015, 11:16 AM
NY Yankees! the team has become to old though...:(

salmonius0864
02-25-2015, 03:08 PM
As a Rangers fan I used to think not getting to the postseason was bad, but getting to the series twice and losing is much worse

JSin
03-01-2015, 07:33 AM
The world champion SF Giants.

ancalagon
03-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Just happy baseball is back. Been a long winter!

piercerseth
04-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Wrigley and Fenway Park are the only stadiums that matter. All the others are just there to hang a corporate logo on.

We'll see about Wrigley post-renovation. Opening day was a bit of a catastrophe. Not enough bathrooms, folks relieving themselves in cups and on walls. I thought that was de rigeur with Cubs fans, guess not.

Still escapes me why they aren't playing games at US Celluar. Probably because the frat boys would have had a hard time finding bird baths to desecrate during their post game bar crawls. Plus the residents in that part of town are scary black people.

*The actual cop out answer (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/05/cubs-didnt-ask-to-play-at-u-s-cellular-field-because-they-knew-jerry-reinsdorf-would-say-no/)

IdolEyes787
04-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Huh and I thought it might of had something to do with cellphone companies being the spawn of the Satan.

Btw no disrespect but with 815 posts how are you even technically a member let alone staff?

These are important questions so I expect you to answer then promptly and with the proper amount of solemnity ,fly by night type person.

piercerseth
04-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Btw no disrespect but with 815 posts how are you even technically a member let alone staff?

These are important questions so I expect you to answer then promptly and with the proper amount of solemnity ,fly by night type person.

I have very little (if anything) substantive to say. I leave the irreverance to the professionals.

If post count was any kind of meaningful metric, well, we'd be in big trouble.

IdolEyes787
04-10-2015, 04:21 PM
I sense that you're trying to be placating because you're afraid that I may charge the mound.
Well it's not going to work, not for a minute even if I have to start leaning into pitches.

Btw I've obviously been on this site a very long time as I can still vaguely recall you cracking a smile.

Also the latest ranking are out and Skiz is now officially my second favourite Mod.Something I'd never thought I'd find myself saying until the site was down to two Mods.

megabyteme
04-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Also the latest ranking are out and Skiz is now officially my second favourite Mod.Something I'd never thought I'd find myself saying until the site was down to two Mods.

Wait...you are saying this site is moderated? :unsure:

IdolEyes787
04-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Moderately.

megabyteme
04-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Moderately.

Sure, I've seen the blue stars, but I was fairly certain that just meant "Lurks and Used to Post". :idunno:

IdolEyes787
04-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Add humourless in there somewhere and seems about right.

shaina
04-11-2015, 12:05 AM
I sense that you're trying to be placating because you're afraid that I may charge the mound.
Well it's not going to work, not for a minute even if I have to start leaning into pitches.

Btw I've obviously been on this site a very long time as I can still vaguely recall you cracking a smile.

Its only been the last couple of days I have viewed a post from a mod and only one so far exist.
On another note there seems to be quite a few retarded ooops sorry retired staff posters here I am guessing by there intellect and participation , the age of retirement here is five

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qag6w_Tp50A

And 2 world series in our generation I WAS AT BOTH!! GO LEAFS GO STINK!!! AAAARRRRRRRGOOOOOS USELESS FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!!

piercerseth
04-11-2015, 01:19 AM

I've got plenty of humors. Four at last count.

shaina
04-11-2015, 02:18 AM

One of the basic principles of medieval medicine was that of the four humors of which a human body was composed. The balance between these four (blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile) was essential for the well-being of a person.

Hannibal Lecter would enjoy all 4 with a nice bottle of chianti (fucking gross).

megabyteme
04-11-2015, 02:54 AM
One of the basic principles of medieval medicine was that of the four humors of which a human body was composed. The balance between these four (blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile) was essential for the well-being of a person.

Hannibal Lecter would enjoy all 4 with a nice bottle of chianti (fucking gross).

Did you just call Hannibal Lechter a phlegm eater?!!! :O

He's going to eat your tongue on rye bread.

shaina
04-11-2015, 03:45 AM

Did you just call Hannibal Lechter a phlegm eater?!!! :O

He's going to eat your tongue on rye bread.

Phlegm on Rye Bread with Kimmel (not Jimmy fucknut )??? I hear it taste like sweat breads.(that is Lecter translation for brains) YUMMY!!

Meg .... You make me really laugh!!!

Only a guy with a masters in English would pick that one out of 4

megabyteme
04-11-2015, 06:04 AM
Do you watch Hannibal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2243973/), Shay? If not, binge watch it. Really good, dark, bloody stuff intermixed with rare culinary delicacies. :)

My one man crush is Mads Mikkelsen. :wub:

Speaking of which, I have a Job for you- see Adam's Apples (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418455/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23). Do it.

piercerseth
04-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Do you watch Hannibal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2243973/), Shay? If not, binge watch it. Really good, dark, bloody stuff intermixed with rare culinary delicacies. :)

Speaking of which, I have a Job for you- see Adam's Apples (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418455/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23). Do it.

Don't listen to him. He'll bewitch you with Mads' allure and then do terrible things to you. We're team Hugh Dancy in these parts.

Also, this was pretty decent The Salvation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2720680/)

shaina
04-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Manhunter - Yes , Loved it , one of my favorites
The Silence of the Lambs - Yes , It is was an amazing movie
Hannibal - Yes , It was good , entertaining
Red Dragon- Yes , A repeat on Manhunter with Anthony Hopkins , it was good , but not even close to Manhunter
Hannibal Rising- Yes Amazing movie , really flowed well and very graphic , and made me feel really happy what he did to those people , even when he finds out his sister tasted good.
Hannibal The Tv Series - Yes , I thought it was good , I am going to watch it again to see if it deserves a better rating
The movie series , all of them I have watched multiple times all classic films in my opinion , and never leaving my hard drive , because they will be watched many more times.

I am downloading the Adam's Apples or the original title Adams ębler. I don't know if you are making a Goof or not. But I will give it a go and critic it with you later.

IdolEyes787
04-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Speaks to my point that someone needs to attach a leech to your face.

Impossibly, taking a thread about baseball off-topic actually made it worse.

Go El Paso Chihuahuas

megabyteme
04-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Don't listen to him. He'll bewitch you with Mads' allure and then do terrible things to you. We're team Hugh Dancy in these parts.

Also, this was pretty decent The Salvation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2720680/)

Ever see Mads dance with woodland creatures? Nope. He may eat you, or get you hooked on drugs, but he never loses that much humanity. :no:

Salvation teased me for so long with its elusiveness that it could never quite live up to my hopes. Perhaps I will watch it again.

------------------------

Go, Indians! I mean that. Leave the reservations, sober up, and get jobs. :dry:

piercerseth
04-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Speaks to my point that someone needs to attach a leech to your face.

I'll be sure to bring that up to my trepanist.

IdolEyes787
04-11-2015, 10:19 PM
You need a trepanist like you need a hole in the head.

Yeah I went there.:unsure:

megabyteme
04-12-2015, 05:49 AM
...sing us a song you're trepanist, man... :idunno:

IdolEyes787
04-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Good one, obvious old person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHTScDBsDU&feature=fvw

Rart
04-12-2015, 05:36 PM

Since Idol loves to cling to the classics I doubt he'd agree with me but I'd definitely make the argument that Mads Mikkelsen has surpassed Anthony Hopkins in his performance as Hannibal. The added effort in creating a character that while for all intents is sociopathic, but is wearing a mask on the outside adds an extra layer to the character that Anthony Hopkins was never really required to do. My favorite line from the finale was when he told Alana that Jack was "in the pantry", which (along with the whole, you know, ending scene) showed that his mask was starting to crack. It'll really be interesting to see how he develops the Hannibal character once he is inevitably caught.

IdolEyes787
04-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Since Idol loves to cling to the classics I doubt he'd agree with me but I'd definitely make the argument that Mads Mikkelsen has surpassed Anthony Hopkins in his performance as Hannibal. The added effort in creating a character that while for all intents is sociopathic, but is wearing a mask on the outside adds an extra layer to the character that Anthony Hopkins was never really required to do.

Since Mikkelsen had 27+ hours to develop the character while Hopkins only had 6 and within that 6 they also had to tell 3 complete stories then I guess that would only make sense.

I now can also safely assume that you aren't taking any courses invoking logical thinking at whatever technical college they let you into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KQydlJ-qc

megabyteme
04-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Since Idol loves to cling to the classics I doubt he'd agree with me but I'd definitely make the argument that Mads Mikkelsen has surpassed Anthony Hopkins in his performance as Hannibal. The added effort in creating a character that while for all intents is sociopathic, but is wearing a mask on the outside adds an extra layer to the character that Anthony Hopkins was never really required to do.

Since Mikkelsen had 27+ hours to develop the character while Hopkins only had 6 and within that 6 they also had to tell 3 complete stories then I guess that would only make sense.

I now can also safely assume that you aren't taking any courses invoking logical thinking at whatever technical college they let you into.

Really, Spock? You are saying no actor has ever been able to fully develop and express a character in less than 3 films?!!! And mini-series actors just 'naturally' develop their roles?

No, Mads has surpassed Hopkins as Lechter. If Hopkins could have raised the bar, we would have seen him do so in each film. Instead, he kept replaying the same few elements (well, I'll agree) every chance he was given.

In the grands scheme of acting, I'm pressed to say Hopkins is a better overall actor with decades more under his belt. But as Lechter, he has been bested.

IdolEyes787
04-12-2015, 08:28 PM
That literally makes no sense whatsoever.

megabyteme
04-12-2015, 08:41 PM
If you were talking about a single film to a high-budget series, your point would probably be valid. As it is, Hopkins had 3 full movies in which to add more depth to the character. Instead, we got the same thing each time. Nothing new expressed...

IdolEyes787
04-12-2015, 08:45 PM
You seem blissfully oblivious to the whole script directorial influence thing .

megabyteme
04-12-2015, 08:55 PM
You seem blissfully oblivious to the whole script directorial influence thing .

Regardless, someone as known and skilled as Hopkins could/should have pushed to expand. He didn't. And instead of greatness, we got sequels. :mellow:

IdolEyes787
04-12-2015, 08:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that the only thing British actors really care about is their next paycheck if Connery and Caine have taught me anything that doesn't involve booze and fast women.

megabyteme
04-12-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that the only thing British actors really care about is their next paycheck if Connery and Caine have taught me anything that doesn't involve booze and fast women.

"I'm British. That should be enough."-British Actors' Guild Motto

IdolEyes787
04-12-2015, 09:14 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyhj22_catfish-bob-dylan-rare_music

ernte23
11-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Hi baseball fans,

last summer i watched my first baseball game in Boston ( i am German), and no offence, but that was the most boring experience in all my vacation...

AlexJones
07-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Mike Trout. Mookie Betts. Jose Altuve. are my favorite players

dion09529
08-02-2019, 05:31 PM
In my country this sport is known as țurcă and is played by dorks.

IdolEyes787
08-02-2019, 05:45 PM
In my country this sport is known as țurcă and is played by dorks.

To be fair, sometimes the only difference between cool and dork is about $8 million per season.

dion09529
08-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Proof that Canadians are making a țurcă team for the 2020 Summer Olympics.

IdolEyes787
08-02-2019, 06:44 PM
If women's sport has taught us anything, it's that you don't have to be that good to win at something if the participation is low enough.

Also I hope you bowed your head in respect when you wrote "Canada" as befits our place as a World power.

anon
08-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Real Madrid

IdolEyes787
08-03-2019, 01:04 AM
Real Madrid Is there a Fake Madrid and then the need to differeniate?

megabyteme
08-03-2019, 03:11 AM
If women's sport has taught us anything, it's that you don't have to be that good to win at something if the participation is low enough.

Also I hope you bowed your head in respect when you wrote "Canada" as befits our place as a World power.

Seems Canada is the women's basketball of powers. *pats Canada's cute widdle head*

Canada is a world power. It's a middle power, not a superpower like the USA, nor a small power like Jamaica, but somewhere in the middle in terms of global influence. Canada in fact has far more power and influence than countries with many times its population, like Brazil or Argentina.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/power-rankings Look waaay down to #12 on that list. 6 spots after France. France.

At least you aren't from Dion's country. It ranked just past Equestria and The Land of Ooo.

IdolEyes787
08-03-2019, 12:49 PM
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/power-rankings Look waaay down to #12 on that list. 6 spots after France. France.

. Now it's hardly my fault that Canada have a lower percentage of lesbians per capita. I'm fairly sure all our really good ones are busy playing hockey anyway.
Also, basketbll isn't even a real sport like skijoring or dogebow.:snooty:

MacGyverSG1
08-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Hi baseball fans,

last summer i watched my first baseball game in Boston ( i am German), and no offense, but that was the most boring experience in all my vacation...

Baseball is a boring sport. The pitchers take way too much time between pitches. Games used to be much shorter. Now all these pre-madonnas need everything just right before delivering a pitch (and the same goes for many hitters). I stopped watching after the 2004 season. American football is America's game. A faster pace, but the last five minutes of a game can take 20 minutes to complete. Basketball is entertaining to watch, if one cares about that sort of thing (I stopped watching in the late 80's). I grew out of watching sports religiously when chasing women was more important. I still think golf and motor"sports" are the most boring to watch.

Joc75
09-01-2019, 09:20 AM
I don't really like baseball....

megabyteme
09-01-2019, 10:52 AM
No one does. We'd make them stop, but they all take creatine and carry bats.

IdolEyes787
09-01-2019, 12:45 PM
You got something against New Jersey, Meg?

My favourite player is a toss up between Roy Hobbs and Ed.
Hobbs has more power but the chimp's got way better range.

zcollector
09-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, adopted St. Louis Blues and St. Louis Cardinals.

laldabomb8
09-02-2019, 12:16 AM
braves