PDA

View Full Version : Why do people keep launching 0day sites?

Qlix
07-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Ask topic asks... What's the point to make a General/0day tracker at the moment? There are loads and god knows how many hundreds of them are available to signup to...

Be creative. Create specialized sites, like SciFi, magic, etc etc, where the variety is not as huge...

Zip
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Hobbies are nice.

Qlix
07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah... I think that's why we have them. :p

realityhd
07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I think the idea is that the bittorrent userbase is growing. You and I may have dozens of 0day options, but newer users may not.

Night0wl
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Several million former TPB users up for grabs now

tippertime
07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
now that the pirate bay is going down people are searching for alternatives that they normally would have never considered before and a new 0day site with open signups is usually where they wind up

edit: night0wl beat me to it

eric13
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
tpb was all about content not speed or pre i personally won't join any 0 day tracker if i was tpb user

Cabalo
07-23-2009, 03:23 AM
if there was a good timing to open a 0-day tracker, it would be now.

Nemrod
07-23-2009, 03:39 AM
At least few months ago, and after seeing how things have been going on I am about to agree with squirr3l and stoi, in some cases for getting into high level trackers.

sez
07-23-2009, 04:02 AM
comes down to laziness,people wanting to fulfil their ''i own a tracker'' dream,goes back to laziness as 0day is what's readily available,people wanting to please the masses instead of building sites they have a passion for<---remember the martha stewart tracker idea and how quickly it went to mvids and now to nothing?
Polling data says that most people today are liberals,liberals=everything goes=chaos=0day...so if you doin it for the masses you'd be kinda naive to ignore the numbers.

Stellar
07-23-2009, 06:48 AM
People think they could do better so instead of helping to improve existing sites they create their own.
Trackers are sort of like linux distros. If all the people creating new distros got together they could make an incredible operating system. Instead, they create their own for various reasons.

n00bz0r
07-23-2009, 08:46 AM
its goes down like this..:lol:

A douche has been active on demonoid for a lifetime.. all of a sudden he stumbles upon WTAW Thread. He waits for a month, begs at a few places, tries to trade.. but that does him no good.
Suddenly,as a result of a flash of genius, he decides that there is no better way than opening up a tracker of his own. He will be known as a "tracker Owner", and can consider himself leet enough. :frusty:
After a month of open signups, and wasting momma's hard earned cash on servers, he starts Spamming the member's inboxes for donations to keep his latest "venture" afloat.
Soon, he can approach a few sites for invites claiming to be a well established entity wid a tracker of his own..and maybe, just maybe, try his luck wid a few hard to join sites..

thats how it goes wid most of da peeps.. sad. But its true!

iLOVENZB
07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
PTM 'nuff said.

mrnobody
07-23-2009, 10:50 AM
At least few months ago, and after seeing how things have been going on I am about to agree with squirr3l and stoi, in some cases for getting into high level trackers.

unfortunate but true in most cases.

Zip
07-23-2009, 11:04 AM
its goes down like this..:lol:

A douche has been active on demonoid for a lifetime.. all of a sudden he stumbles upon WTAW Thread. He waits for a month, begs at a few places, tries to trade.. but that does him no good.
Suddenly,as a result of a flash of genius, he decides that there is no better way than opening up a tracker of his own. He will be known as a "tracker Owner", and can consider himself leet enough. :frusty:
After a month of open signups, and wasting momma's hard earned cash on servers, he starts Spamming the member's inboxes for donations to keep his latest "venture" afloat.
Soon, he can approach a few sites for invites claiming to be a well established entity wid a tracker of his own..and maybe, just maybe, try his luck wid a few hard to join sites..

thats how it goes wid most of da peeps.. sad. But its true!
You speak from experience I see. :P

Qlix
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
It looks like most people came to the conclusion that creating 0day trackers is lame/used for bad purposes, etc.

stoi
07-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I dont know why my name was brought up in this convo lol

anyway i wont list all 0 day trackers but

TL = 150,000 members
TB= 80,000 and probably 70% have TL
S*C = 30,000 (i think) = 80% will have either TL or TB
S*T = 20,000 (i think) = 90% will have either TL or TB or S*C
F*N = 4,000 =99% will have 1 of the above

TPB = 20mil unique hits a day = a hell of a lot of room for more 0 day private trackers.

pone44
07-23-2009, 01:06 PM
I Hate to see any site shut down! The closure of TPB and others are probably a big part to why so many people are opening new trackers.
Every time one does get shut down, a new one has replaced it. Except TPB, so far. That is how some great tracks started, as mentioned in the thread. What if they just gave up cause there was competition,too many other sites? Most of the sites we know of now would never have been created.

:spam:

realityhd
07-23-2009, 01:13 PM
stoi nails it with the numbers. There is a lot of room for more trackers, it's just that most of us don't care and most of the people who should care don't hear about them easily.

eric13
07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
i think sites like ipt and tl will get most of users other will continue using mininova and demonoid which are similar to tpb unlike 0 day trackers

filenetworks
07-23-2009, 03:07 PM
I really cant see why there is all this negativity about new 0day trackers being launched. I've seen folks trash new trackers without even bothering to have a look inside
(siteowner makes a thread about a new tracker and someone posts a smartass comment like, '0day? i stopped reading right there'.)

Really it's not like you have to pay for their hosting. Why the whining?

realityhd
07-23-2009, 03:52 PM
All internet communities have the core group of regulars who have seen 100 of those same threads. It's a mix of apathy and skepticism that develops over the years. Most of those sites suck and will fail, as past experience proves, so the tendency is towards sarcasm.

stoi
07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
All internet communities have the core group of regulars who have seen 100 of those same threads.

But that to me is exactly the problem with the trackers i listed in my above post, apart from TB, who have the weird signup and its still pretty hard to get in, are invite only.

99% of the users of TPB and Mininova/BTJunkie etc etc have no idea how to get into these other private trackers, because they are private, and they know no one, but all the ones that are in the private sites, have 10 or more of the things, so dont use all of them as much as they should/could.

and if someone tries to do something a bit different to global ratio only, BCG, Pretome, and plenty of others, new members that think they know it all, think its crap as they cant buffer up their account and then hit and run on everything else.

Honestly trackers cant win, either they are Global Ratio only but P2L, or they do something different and Global Ratio is better, but those same members still complain about P2L lol, and if a new tracker starts up, its dead before it gets going, either post on here and all the ones that think they know everything, dont want anything to do with it, or post torrents onto mininova and just get leechers/hit and runners and cheats.

When i started BCG there was Bitconsole, i got told a lot that i was daft to go up against them, even though i never seen it that way, but look where BitConsole is now and see where we are, but i could have quite easily have give up, I still hear comments today that TL is better than BCG, i am like, so what, i dont care, i am not in competition with them and i dont think they are with me, i am not even in competition with UG-BG, they can do what they want and i can do what i want with BCG, i dont give a fuck tbh lol

and if someone says, it will never work, whats the point, can get things elsewhere, blah blah blah, that just makes me more determined to prove them all wrong.

GL to all the new trackers, i hope they all have the same attitude as me, and prove everyone of the doubters wrong.

Polarbear
07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
The problem is when new scene tracker sysops have no staffing experience at all. They don't know nothing about tracker leadership, underestimate the cost and only have a paid coder whom they don't know.

You need a minumum of experience as a staffer on another tracker to successfully run and manage a new Tracker. And sometimes even they fail badly. Scene Releases have to be uploaded fast. Without auto-trader or race tools and FTP access and huge seedboxes forget about it. This shit costs a lot of money. You gotta be able to pay that money out of your own pocket for at least 3 to 6 month, because noone donates for an unknown new tracker.

I would never join a new tracker when I don't know at least one staff member. It's just a waste of time and also a matter of security. They often just don't know how to secure private user data. Suddendly you find your gmail full of spam or hack attempts on other accounts of yours.

I suggest you use a fresh email and a unique password when you join new sites. Always keep in mind that it's highly illegal what we do in most countries. The price of having joined a unsecure new tracker may be a little to high. In other words, better safe than sorry. People sit in prisons just because they contributed to their favourite new tracker.

Zip
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
The problem is when new scene tracker sysops have no staffing experience at all. They don't know nothing about tracker leadership, underestimate the cost and only have a paid coder whom they don't know.

You need a minumum of experience as a staffer on another tracker to successfully run and manage a new Tracker. And sometimes even they fail badly.
Doesn't have to be a scene tracker, but very well put, Polarbear. :)

stoi
07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I didnt know anything about running a tracker when I started.

The difference was i started small and grew.

Home Laptop 500mhz 512k ram 32 KBs upload
Shared server in Sweden for £12 a month
HK for £200 a month
Germany for £600 a month
Canada with my own servers (co-location.

New trackers these days go for the HK at £200 a month and just cant cover it at all. Even I am seeing a massive drop in donations lately, but i still wont send a mass PM (yet) only when i am totally desperate will i do so, and i am not totally desperate yet.

sez
07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
GL to all the new trackers, i hope they all have the same attitude as me, and prove everyone of the doubters wrong.

prolly the best advice anyone could give and if anything i think scenesound is proving to be the best testament for that if you look at this year's start ups.

Polarbear
07-23-2009, 05:24 PM
scenesound is proving to be the best testament for that if you look at this year's start ups.

What's scenesound? :blink:

filenetworks
07-23-2009, 05:33 PM
scenesound is proving to be the best testament for that if you look at this year's start ups.

Scene MP3 tracker based on SoftMP3 source.
http://scenesound.org/

Polarbear
07-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Scene MP3 tracker based on SoftMP3 source.
http://scenesound.org/
Thanks. I hardly download V2 rips anymore. If I can't get it lossless I buy it.

The_Martinator
07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Quite honestly there's a bunch of 0day trackers already, but I guess it's also the easiest type of tracker to launch.

What I'd like to see is more TV trackers. A little competition there could do wonders, imo.

PS: I'm not saying they have to be no ratio.

Wwwildthing
07-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Trackers are sort of like linux distros. If all the people creating new distros got together they could make an incredible operating system.

Over 1,000 new trackers have come online this year to date... 25 were added in June... about 90% of them are private.

Roooney
07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Trackers are sort of like linux distros. If all the people creating new distros got together they could make an incredible operating system.Over 1,000 new trackers have come online this year to date... 25 were added in June... about 90% of them are private.

source?

soulreaper
07-24-2009, 03:27 AM
I don't know the first thing about running a tracker but I suspect making a tracker for niche content(like comics/humour) would be much harder than making a 0day site.

MadIrish
07-25-2009, 03:07 AM
I don't know the first thing about running a tracker but I suspect making a tracker for niche content(like comics/humour) would be much harder than making a 0day site.

I'm not so sure about that. To do it properly and "compete" with the established sites, a new 0-day site will have to have a lot going for it from the start - good quantity of uploads from fast servers, decent axx and pre-times, good security & coding, a good site design etc, and increasingly some sort of catch to set them apart such as no-ratio (not that that really sets anyone apart but the point stands). Then they've got to get a userbase that's actually dedicated to the site, uses it responsibly, and most importantly chooses to use it over others with the same content they have access to. That seems like a pretty difficult task to me, for every successful new 0-day site there seems to be many more that fail.

With a niche tracker one would hope that those involved in its startup would already have a decent library of content to put up on it initially. Members they attract are more likely to buy into its concept, either there won't be many alternatives out there or those alternatives will be hard to access etc. Depending on the type of content it might not be so necessary to have a ton of upload servers; generally speed and pre-times etc are nowhere near as important so they will not suffer so badly in comparission with others. They should also be able to build up a much more natural community too, given that everyone should have something in common, be it love of comedy, comics or whatever.

Setting up a niche tracker would seem to me to require a bit more vision and a lot more genuine care for the content from its founders and initial members, but making a genuine success of one if those are both present would seem to me to be much more achievable in the end.