PDA

View Full Version : Direct Downloads vs Newsgroups

beansis
07-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Being new to newsgroups and all, I'm curious what their advantages are over direct downloads. I've been downloading from direct downloads for quite awhile, and i can say that I've gotten lucky since I have never had premium with any service but have gotten fast speeds nevertheless (except for rapidshit, I hate that service with a passion but often find myself downloading from it). Currently, free ipv6 is treating me rather well but unfortunately I have not been able to find the same wealth of content that is offered through direct downloads, especially foreign material.

So I'm looking for feedback in a mainly these areas:

uploading
security (not getting caught)
downloading
ease of use
expense
content

Feel free to add to this list and comment as you wish!

manu1991
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
uploading - Not even a contest , newsgroups much secure , all hosting sites will keep logs of your IP
security (not getting caught) - Almost same , ISP's dont usually resort to http packet snooping etc , both are much safer than torrents
downloading - Without premium , usenet , else ddl's
ease of use - ddl's
expense - usenet is cheaper if your usage is more than what rapidshare etc allow
content - ddl's

Sonnentier
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM
what their advantages are over direct downloads
"direct downloads", in the past that was linking to demos/dead spaces, now it's pointing at rapidshare...

And maybe that is one of their disadvantages, often associated with the script kiddie type of business.

uploading - Not even a contest , newsgroups much secureWell I do not agree there is no contest, many usp will trace uploads and you might also get into trouble if you were publishing over their systems. Anyway what you can do is to insert files using a service with favorable policys, due to usenet's structure content will then be copied to all the other servers.

Newsgroups feature the possibility to globally search for and find files while file hosting leans against web based catalogues.
Also there are plans for usenet offering unlimited downloading while most file hosting sites have limits, so it really depends on your profile.

iLOVENZB
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
uploading - DDL, you have to read about uploading on Newsgroups, and thus might be hard for some.

security - Both are ok, Only a small amount of DDL providers support SSL, however most Usenet support SSL

downloading - Usenet

ease of use - Both are easy to setup but DDL sites don't need various apps eg. Binary grabber, par repairer etc.

expense - Usenet in the long run

content - DDL, Usenet is mostly for scene pres and high end p2p releases. DDL sites cater for scene/p2p releases.

I should not that it depends on the DDL site too. eg. tehPARADOX's security is much higher than say PSPiSO.

realityhd
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
For the average leech, Usenet is the best option for sure. Speed, content and security are unparalleled.

unoriginal
07-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, definitely don't forget speed. With any good news provider you will be able to max out the download capacity on your internet connection. I've got friends in NYC that have no problem filling the 30megsof d/l speed that Verizon Fios gives them using Astraweb.

As for expense you can sign up with Astraweb for $11/mo using http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html . They say its a special offer but its been running for almost a year now.

SonsOfLiberty
07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Also, if you look around you can get free Usenet providers too, and but not very good retention, and if you go premium Usenet, mostly all files stay until they hit 300+ days of retention, not any DDL services I know keep files up that long, hot files like a few hours a day if your lucky, but I've notice news provider deleting articles but still better than DDL.

beansis
07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
well thanks for all your responses guys

so far my experience is that usenet is good for very large files, such as 10GB x264 movies, especially since you get good speed and there's no hassle with all the links.

I'm pretty picky about what I download so I kinda generally prefer direct dl because there is usually more info about the file and there is quite a bit more hard to find and good quality content available.

Also, there are plenty of large files available in 1GB links on direct dl, so its not that inconvenient. I imagine direct dl is pretty safe because there's no seeding like in torrents and it can and is also used for legit purposes, like usenet.

Concerning uploading, does this guide entail all I that need need to know about usenet or is there more?
http://www.usenetshack.com/the-definitive-guide-how-to-upload-post-to-usenet/

and which providers have the best policies?
is it safe to do through free ipv6 lol:whistling?

As far as expense goes, usenet seem like the better deal. The only dl provider that in my opinion might be better is megashares because its cheap, unlimited and has similar content. The problem with paying for direct downloads is that the files that you may want to download are scattered all over different file hosts. I've never payed for anything tho . . .

And finally, how is tehParadox safer than pspiso?
the majority of their uploads are to the same hosting sites - megaupload and rapidshit

realityhd
07-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Finding content on usenet is easy with any of the many indexing or spotting sites which are constantly posted about here as well as FST itself. What more than an nfo does anyone need?

beansis
07-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Finding content on usenet is easy with any of the many indexing or spotting sites which are constantly posted about here as well as FST itself. What more than an nfo does anyone need?

Thorough encoding details, screenshots, downloader feedback, etc. . . that kind of extra attention is usually available with direct downloads. Could be life saying if it concerns a Window OS;)

As far as content goes only recent and common stuff seems to be available as nzb - I have yet to see any Sektor Gaza albums, that is

SonsOfLiberty
07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
You could download them and upload them? There's a thought.

Usenet is by overall the king at content. There's plenty of old stuff out there, just use a search engine.

Have you even looked in our index?

beansis
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Well I probably wont upload anything until I get an actual newsprovider with SSL

yep I def checked out the index, thanks for all the stuff u posted, but I dunno I've tried quite a few search engines. . .

iLOVENZB
07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Well I probably wont upload anything until I get an actual newsprovider with SSL

yep I def checked out the index, thanks for all the stuff u posted, but I dunno I've tried quite a few search engines. . .

Some ISP's bundle Usenet with their plans. Be careful to see if it includes binaries and not just text.

AdamRav
07-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Usenet is far superior

Faster speeds
No ratios

What more do you want.

P.S. If your from the UK and have Virgin Media as your ISP you get free Usenet access

Only downside is that the retention is only 7 days.

iLOVENZB
07-30-2009, 10:59 PM

Ouch, honestly it's probably worth switching ISP's or buying for the service. My ISP (not in the UK) offers a 'Premium' usage from Astraweb of which the retention is at its highest.

Previously they had the option to chose between Astraweb and Giganews :w00t:

rippinitup4fun
07-31-2009, 01:37 AM

When you do have a look at JbinUp it is a usenet uploader that supports SSL uploading straight out of the box, no other software or setups needed to achieve it.

http://www.jbinup.com/en/

iLOVENZB
07-31-2009, 02:10 AM

When you do have a look at JbinUp it is a usenet uploader that supports SSL uploading straight out of the box, no other software or setups needed to achieve it.

Except Java :frusty:. I love JBinUp though it's a good cross-platform alternative to PowerPost.

SonsOfLiberty
07-31-2009, 02:27 AM
And the language is half-jibberish.

iLOVENZB
07-31-2009, 03:54 AM
And the language is half-jibberish.

For JBin? It's German, just use the English site :happy:. If I remember correctly you can also choose which language you want the app to be in?

Sonnentier
07-31-2009, 10:38 AM
How does SSL protect you from legal action? I doubt they wiretap you, would rather demand information from the newsprovider.

iLOVENZB
07-31-2009, 11:06 AM
How does SSL protect you from legal action? I doubt they wiretap you, would rather demand information from the newsprovider.

It's just one less "dibby dobber" to worry about. Let me put it simple:

If I go to the shop, when I should be a work and talk to a few people along the way that's not SSL, but if I just go straight to the shop that is SSL :wacko:

I don't this a Usenet provider will give out personal information so easily :shutup:

beansis
08-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Wait so are you guys saying that if I use JBin Up
I dont need to have an usenet provider that offers SSL encryption to actually upload using an SSL encrypted connection??? That doesn't sound right, especially since all I have is free ipv6

EyeBaller
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I dont need to have an usenet provider that offers SSL encryption to actually upload using an SSL encrypted connection??? That doesn't sound right, especially since all I have is free ipv6

If you want to upload, I'd suggest getting a non-expiring block acct (with SSL) from somewhere like usenetnews (cheapest is 2gb for $2), and use that just for uploading. It will never expire and you can upload as much as you want. Also, in the rare even your posts are flagged for takedown or something and usenetnews wants to take "action" all you will lose is the block acct. You can then go get another from somewhere else.

beansis
08-02-2009, 06:11 PM

If you want to upload, I'd suggest getting a non-expiring block acct (with SSL) from somewhere like usenetnews (cheapest is 2gb for $2), and use that just for uploading. It will never expire and you can upload as much as you want. Also, in the rare even your posts are flagged for takedown or something and usenetnews wants to take "action" all you will lose is the block acct. You can then go get another from somewhere else.

Sounds like a good idea. . .:shifty:

AdamRav
08-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Ouch, honestly it's probably worth switching ISP's or buying for the service. My ISP (not in the UK) offers a 'Premium' usage from Astraweb of which the retention is at its highest.

Previously they had the option to chose between Astraweb and Giganews :w00t:

I aint saying anything bad about the service

They are the best in the UK in my opinion

and i think no other ISP in the UK offer free usenet access

This is what they offer

-Unlimited Usage
-50 Connections

No SSL though!!!!

I pay AstraWeb for the service

Im on the UNLIMITED DSL Plan for 11$ a month

With my line i can download 30gb in a night so you do the math
So well worth the money in my opinion

stillwaiting
08-24-2009, 01:28 PM
i must admit that directdownloads has it all,but you must be
member of various forums to find stuff and if you dont have premium
accounts its takes time to leech even if you use jdownloader.
usenet is good for top 50 tv shows and its easy to search.

ploopsy
08-24-2009, 11:11 PM
uploading: If you look in the right places you can get away without uploading anything.

security: Dunno, my guess is DDL since you dont pay them or leave any personal info.

downloading: DDLs require wait times and captchas and the speeds are usually capped to prevent abuse. usenet is always fast.

ease of use: Jdownloader is great for DDLs like RS and makes it simple, clicking around the web pages is not as fun. NZB requires a tiny bit more initial setup but works great and automatically after.

expense: Downloading NZBs will always cost a little money to get it done fast and uncapped.

content: Cant tell, they both offer tonnes of stuff.

SonsOfLiberty
08-25-2009, 01:21 AM
uploading: If you look in the right places you can get away without uploading anything.

security: Dunno, my guess is DDL since you dont pay them or leave any personal info.

downloading: DDLs require wait times and captchas and the speeds are usually capped to prevent abuse. usenet is always fast.

ease of use: Jdownloader is great for DDLs like RS and makes it simple, clicking around the web pages is not as fun. NZB requires a tiny bit more initial setup but works great and automatically after.

expense: Downloading NZBs will always cost a little money to get it done fast and uncapped.

How do you figure DDL is more secrue? Rapidshare has a pending case aganist it, and is also giving uploader (and probably downloader) info over to authorities.

News provides offer more security, the only way anyone is going to say anything is if the ISP subponeas the info...News providers fall under the "Common Carrier" law, just like a phone company isn't liable, and can't be shut down.

Funkin'
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Content wise: I favor forums for older/obscure content(and especially music). In my opinion there's really no comparison between the two for the harder to find stuff. But...ng's is the better method for new content. You'll find the files on indexers pretty much immediately after pre. On forums you can be waiting quite a while.

As for security: I feel very secure downloading with either method.
And expense: Both cost money(if you want the full benefits out of each method) but both are cheap.

Uploading: I really can't say since I haven't upped to ng's yet. But uploading to filehosters are easy. It's just a pain when you have a slow upload speed and wanting to up anything over a gb or two.

So for me it's pretty much a toss up between the two. I use both methods and love them both. I use forums for music and anything older, and newsgroups for new and big files(season packs, etc).

ploopsy
08-26-2009, 12:13 AM

How do you figure DDL is more secrue? Rapidshare has a pending case aganist it, and is also giving uploader (and probably downloader) info over to authorities.

News provides offer more security, the only way anyone is going to say anything is if the ISP subponeas the info...News providers fall under the "Common Carrier" law, just like a phone company isn't liable, and can't be shut down.

Good point i did not think of that. As I am more of a leech I never thought about how unsafe uploading to rs may be.

harrydresden
09-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Since its been a while since this topic was posted, anyone up for restarting this ? What are your experiences on Usenet vs DDL

DDL has expanded a lot, theres a huge bunch of hosters now and with a little juggling up between free hosts you can get very high speeds. Content wise .. while it s hard to find , ddl is very much on the top.

mjmacky
09-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Sure DDL has expanded a lot, then again so has Usenet. The one major benefit I see of usenet vs. DDL is server propagation. With usenet, you don't lose everything when a provider leaves the game, whereas DDL providers seem flippant in this regard (retention of files depends on how it was posted vs. activity, in addition to the fact the provider must stay afloat). Plus usenet increases with each day, it's above 1100 days now with the big providers.

harrydresden
09-15-2011, 02:20 AM
while the retention factor is true, If you have access to exclusive forums, You ll always find working links for ddl. Never failed me like that.

iLOVENZB
09-15-2011, 04:45 AM
People still worry about retention? Astraweb is 1124 days so 1124 / 365 (days/yr) = 3.07945205. Over 3 years and it continues to rise!

harrydresden
09-15-2011, 02:14 PM
The volume of files and the variety of filehosting is simply astounding. Filehosting > Newsgroups > Torrents.

And Filehosting is free

anon
09-15-2011, 04:26 PM
And Filehosting is free

Yes, sadly there aren't any (http://www.just4today.net/) free (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/437000-Free-Lifetime-1Mbit-Usenet-Access) news (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/435206-binload-with-third-party-software) providers (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/422946-Self-updating-list-of-usenet-conectivity-to-FREE-IPV6-IPV4-news-servers?p=3502529&viewfull=1#post3502529).

johhny
10-14-2011, 04:30 PM
the only thingh i dislike about usenet is they troll with others releases
eg:TB group(a.k.a TeddyBlue) is posted TrollololBlue
KiNGS group i;ve seen they post it under Queens groups
and so on.

jalebi
10-17-2011, 08:26 PM
The thing with DDL is that there are limits to speed for free providers. I am never able to get the ful 12MB/s that I should be getting when using DDL, more often than not its below 1MB/s. Additionally, if I was to purchase an account for a DDL site, I would only have access to what's upload to that site, not others. If a file I wanted was not hosted on my provider, I'm SOL. For the same price as a DDL provider I can get amazing speeds and excellent retention.

Additionally, I value my time, and thus I don't want to have to juggle multiple free providers, alternating them for different files, or go link hunting. With usenet its easy.

johhny
10-18-2011, 08:01 AM
jalebi i don't see a free usenet provider that will give me maximum download speed??
if you want premium you pay..or maybe someone will be kind enough to share an account with you :)

A_T
10-18-2011, 06:32 PM
I haven't got time to look for direct downloads, queue them up, then wait while they download at a capped speed. Would rather pay a few dollars a month for a usenet account that maxes out my connection.

rapidfire
10-18-2011, 07:27 PM
i prefer usenet just because I think they're safer and faster for me at least

jalebi
10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
jalebi i don't see a free usenet provider that will give me maximum download speed??
if you want premium you pay..or maybe someone will be kind enough to share an account with you :)

I'm saying that my time is worth a lot more than 11 dollars a month. And that $11 is better spent on Usenet than just ONE DDL premium account.

mjmacky
10-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm saying that my time is worth a lot more than 11 dollars a month.

Probably true, but I'd probably complain to your employer for even prompting you to make that claim.

And that $11 is better spent on Usenet than just ONE DDL premium account.

For the time being, absolutely.

rapidfire
10-21-2011, 08:49 PM
i prefer usenet, it seems more secure and easier plus its only a few bucks a month