PDA

View Full Version : BluRay ISO A Go Go, Or A No No, Or a Slow Slow..?

drokk54
07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
:wacko:I'm wishing the price of BluRay-R wud cum down quick, and give that scene a boost......

:rolleyes:There's been a couple of BluRay releases here recently, .. Watchmen, Coraline, which i think are BD 25's......... (Just under £10 for a Verb, or 5,6,7 Punds for a "lesser" brand...... if these BD-25 ISO's are "burn" and play, like DVD5 ISO Movies, i wanna get a little BluRay thing going........... all this playing on PC or what ever dont grab me...........:ermm:

I like to chill on the sofa, in front of big TV/Plasma etc.... and drop in the DVD5/DVD9/ BD25, Is the BluRay ISO's gonna let me do this>? :fst:

EyeBaller
07-31-2009, 03:44 PM
:wacko:I'm wishing the price of BluRay-R wud cum down quick, and give that scene a boost......

:rolleyes:There's been a couple of BluRay releases here recently, .. Watchmen, Coraline, which i think are BD 25's......... (Just under £10 for a Verb, or 5,6,7 Punds for a "lesser" brand...... if these BD-25 ISO's are "burn" and play, like DVD5 ISO Movies, i wanna get a little BluRay thing going........... all this playing on PC or what ever dont grab me...........:ermm:

I like to chill on the sofa, in front of big TV/Plasma etc.... and drop in the DVD5/DVD9/ BD25, Is the BluRay ISO's gonna let me do this>? :fst:

So get a media pc and hook it up to your tv through HDMI. Or get one of the streaming boxes, like popcorn hour. Waste of time/money to burn discs now, esp when hard drives are so cheap.

Skiz
07-31-2009, 04:51 PM

What's a "Verb"?
What's a "BD-25"?

Outside of that, why would you want a BluRay in DVD5 or 9? It defeats the purpose in having the movie in BluRay.

drokk54
07-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Verb... abreviation for Vermatim. Blank media manufacturer.
BD 25, is a single layer BlurRay Recordable disk (25 gig).

"Outside of that, why would you want a BluRay in DVD5 or 9"

Tell that to the X264 makers......:naughty:

saulin
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Get a Popcorn Hour man! they kick ass. You don't need to download huge Blu-Ray Isos. 1080p X264 rips look simply amazing! Oh yeah you just ftp your files to the HDD on the box so no DVD or BluRay media needed.

I think full ISO Blu-Ray rips are a total waste of bandwidth and time.

Skiz
07-31-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't think Popcorn Hour is the best solution in this instance.

If his TV were close enough to simply run cable from his PC, he could run HDMI straight to the television at a much cheaper cost than the $300+ BluRay ready Popcorn Hour machine. If he were looking to spend that sort of money, I assume he would just buy the BluRay burner.

The cheapest solution is what I do, running your sound and HDMI through the wall directly from the PC, though I don't know what his layout looks like so I'm not sure that's an option. I will say though that my audio cable and HDMI cable plus wall plates totaled me about $40.

leech
07-31-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm waiting for the price on BDs to come down a bit too. If it were $3-5 per and players were $200 for something decent I'd jump on it. I may bite the bullet within the year anyway and do more rentals.

saulin
07-31-2009, 06:37 PM
I get better image quality from my Popcorn hour than having the HDMI cable coming from my video card to my TV. But I do have both setups :)

I love using my TV as a third monitor. It works awesome for emulators.

Skiz
07-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I get better image quality from my Popcorn hour than having the HDMI cable coming from my video card to my TV.

The quality you'll get from streaming depends on a lot of factors. Everything from HDMI cable length, quality of cable, media player, GPU and computer specs, etc... I wouldn't change a thing about mine.

I run a 12 ft HDMI cable from my 8800GT to a 46" Toshiba LCD in my living room on the opposite wall. My TV, like yours, operates as a third monitor.

drokk54
07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
So anyway, "wall drillers"........ does the Blueray ISO's burn to a BD-r, and boot up sweet in the PS3, or a BluRay standalone..... are are we not "there" yet.....?

Beck38
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
All of this has been at the top of my agenda for many months, and will continue due to:

YES - BR blanks (25G or dual layer 50G) are WAY too expensive, although the burners are fairly reasonable (~$200). A quick check of a couple of my favorite vendors (that I've bought DVD5/9's from for ages) shows that the going price on BD blanks is between $10/ea for inkjet printable 25G, and 50GB at just about double that. One can fine the cheapies at a bit less (say $7 or so, maybe $6 on sale), but...

It's all like DVD5's were just about 10 year ago. Sure, the prices will come down, but how fast is always the question.

As to hard drive prices and using some kind of MASSIVE storage unit (I'm having an unRAID box built as I type this), and running a Popcorn Hour box to interface the HD set, the fact of the matter is, that if one recodes the HD/BR disc down to DVD9 sizes (utilizing h/x.254), unless you've got a $20K display, and REALLY good eyes and ears (not to mention that $20K 'hd' 7.1 surround sound system!), the difference between it and the 'full' blu-ray disc are minimal at best, and in double-blind tests pretty much a wash. You'll find on usenet the sizing of recodes is all over the place, but there are three distinct camps, one that tries to do them to DVD5/9 sizes, another that targets the bit rate (10,000bps seems to be the favorite), and another that doesn't seem to care WHAT size/rate they end up with. The best (quality) recodes I've d/l'ed have been 'The Dark Knight' (dts), and 'Fifth Element' (dts). I'd put up each of them against the original BR disc, and I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference; and both are DVD9 sizes.

So, the cost analysis is that even with drive costs continuing the downward spiral (I'm watching the 2TB drives with particular interest, as now that Seagate has their drive out, the WD 2TB price has fallen off a cliff, over $100 less than just a month ago!). the fact remains that any array you care to build is going to cost some 2.5-3 tims more expensive per Gigabyte than removable, burnable, DVD5/9 discs.

Not that I don't burn up some drive space on someting that looks interesting. But until 1TB drives get below about $30, or BD Blanks lower than $1/ea, I'll hedge my bets.

Now, I'm still trying to figure out just exactly how many drives I'm going to fill that server up once it arrive on my doorstep...

2slick4u
07-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Skiz is right that is the cheapest way

Beck38
08-01-2009, 04:18 AM

The cheapest solution is what I do, running your sound and HDMI through the wall directly from the PC, though I don't know what his layout looks like so I'm not sure that's an option. I will say though that my audio cable and HDMI cable plus wall plates totaled me about $40.

What you haven't added into your cost, is the player program (commercial or otherwise), AND the cost (and grief) of getting all the add-on tweaks and hacks to get the pc player program to work properly with the various formats, BOTH BR AND recodes, from AVCHD to MKV.

Frankly, I gave up after running into several BR discs that the studio's managed to complete munge up. About $700 later jumping though various graphics cards, various cable 'fixes', and other hoops, I bit the bullit and bought the PCH. Best **** money I ever spent. It has played everything I've thrown at it, runs just fine on both cat5 and 802.11n wireless (great for feeding other rooms in the house), and of course the computers are sitting in a room away from the home theatre; just wish I'd gotten it sooner!

The only 'problem' is that it is fairly insatiable as to content. That's why I'm building a 20TB Raid box.

SonsOfLiberty
08-01-2009, 04:31 AM

The scene still would not change, they still rip in 2 CD format even though the DVD has been around for a long ass time.

EyeBaller
08-01-2009, 04:42 AM
I'd agree with Becks38, don't download anything more than 1080p mkv encodes and get a popcorn hour and off you go. Running an HDMI from the pc to the tv isn't difficult, but it seems like the OP doesn't want to do that.

Skiz
08-01-2009, 05:45 AM

What you haven't added into your cost, is the player program (commercial or otherwise), AND the cost (and grief) of getting all the add-on tweaks and hacks to get the pc player program to work properly with the various formats, BOTH BR AND recodes, from AVCHD to MKV.

I didn't add it b/c there was nothing to add.

CCCP codec + Core Media Player = every single file type and every single resolution I choose to play, plays with 100% perfection and looks beautiful. There is nothing more to say...

tesco
08-01-2009, 01:33 PM

I didn't add it b/c there was nothing to add.

CCCP codec + Core Media Player = every single file type and every single resolution I choose to play, plays with 100% perfection and looks beautiful. There is nothing more to say...
And for the odd file that won't play, VLC will surely play it. :cool:

SonsOfLiberty
08-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Or GOM or Kmplayer :lol: Or if you using Windows 7 you can play them in Media Center now (I think) :)

Skiz
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I gave GOM and KMPlayer both a fair chance on the recent suggestions of a few members. Neither was able to consistently handle streaming 1080 movies to the TV. I gave Core a try and haven't looked back. :happy:

drokk54
08-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Sony is holding onto BluRay prices........ keeping em high to keep piracy down......
HD DVD blanks are like, $2...... but there landfill......... noone interested........

Skiz
08-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Sony is holding onto BluRay prices........ keeping em high to keep piracy down......

That doesn't make sense. Most people download pirated BluRay movies to avoid paying the inflated retail prices. That's why I do it.

I have a large DVD collection; most of it I've purchased. There's no way I'm paying $50 for a BluRay movie though. Not a fucking chance.

drokk54
08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Oops...... Yeah, retail BluRay Movies is quite high (not as high as theyw were tho).....

but i meant to say Recordable bluRay........... the blanks (or at least verbatim), is nearly as expensive as originals. and 50 gig bluray blanks is £10 ($15) more than the damn retail bluray movie,,,,,,!

SonsOfLiberty
08-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I gave GOM and KMPlayer both a fair chance on the recent suggestions of a few members. Neither was able to consistently handle streaming 1080 movies to the TV. I gave Core a try and haven't looked back. :happy:

Have you tried BSPlayer Pro yet? Another high quality player, one of the top in the market niche.

Skiz, do run 7 by any change? And if so, did you run KMPlayer on it (or anyone else)? But I have a glitch in mine, whenever I start a movie, the movie plays, but I cannot resize, stop, pause, skip, anything, but the movie and sound are fine...weird problem that Googleing came up blank.

Skiz
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Nah, I'm back on Vista Ultimate 64. Win7 didn't have enough stuff that was compatible for me. I'll prolly upgrade whenever I do a new reinstall in a year or so.