PDA

View Full Version : RAID on SSD

2slick4u
08-04-2009, 03:35 AM
hi i;m trying get some information how to setup RAID on 2 SSD drives and Another problem i don;t know wich BRAND i should buy 500$ is my limit for 2 please pm with some ideas or what to do, and sorry my english is very bad:(

2slick4u
08-06-2009, 12:03 AM
man not eve one person is usin SSD RAID please can major geek explain it to is it better 4 OCZ 30 gig SSD in RAID or 4 WD Raptors running at 15 krpm what wouls be a speed difference please help:(

clocker
08-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Raptors run at 10k rpm, not 15k.
TWO OCZ SSDs would blow the doors off a four Raptor RAID array.
The mechanical drive just can't compete with the solid state drive's seek time.

Even though the SSD I current play with is a slow 1st gen SATA1 model, it still feels snappier than a 3 drive array.
Doesn't bench as well, but opens shit instantaneously.

2slick4u
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
thx clocker so i'm ready to order 4 OCZ 30 gig SSD i hope it will run fast

clocker
08-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm sure it will but why such a large array?

j2k4
08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd guess by this time next year the price of an SSD would be about half what it is now.

Isn't there a corollary to Moore's law that applies.

Broken
08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Forget about the lower end SSD drives right now.
Write speeds noticeably slower than mechanical drives, shuddering, data corruption.
I can only imagine that these problems would be amplified in a RAID setting.

If you're thinking of going SSD might as well do it right.
Intel has an excellent reputation in this market. A single SSD is faster than an array of high end mechanical. Intel's X25-M at $229.99 would be an excellent choice. 80GBs is enough for an OS and core programs to run off of.

tesco
08-09-2009, 01:48 PM
If you're thinking of going SSD might as well do it right.
Intel has an excellent reputation in this market. A single SSD is faster than an array of high end mechanical. Intel's X25-M at $229.99 would be an excellent choice. 80GBs is enough for an OS and core programs to run off of.
I've just been reading about these drives.
There's a 2nd generation of them out, which lowers the manufacturing cost and slightly upgrades the speeds.
I'm reading the review here: http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3607

I think when the price of these lowers a little bit in a few months is when i'll take the leap.
I'm only buying one though, not going to raid them. I'm pretty sure that the sata controller is already the bottleneck just with one of these (for sequential reads anyway). Have to wait for Sata 6GBit/s.