PDA

View Full Version : BLURAY Rips--- EasyPlay on DISK...... Solution..?

drokk54
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
:whistling-----Re: Serenity 2005 1080p BD9 x264-DOWN

These instructions were provided with this title...

""- For playback on ps3/bluray-player run mkv2bluray.bat and chose "B".

This will convert the mkv to bluray and create an image that will play

in the PS3 or a Bluray Player.""

Just a daft question........... if i grab another x264 title, and re-name the filename to the same as this title,
and run the .bat file that comes with THIS title, choose option "B".......
will it give me a working iso image for PS3 / DVD player, the same way as it will for this title?

Its just that not many groups, are prividing a .BAT file for easy conversion to something that can be played in BluRay standalone, Or PS3........ i just wondered about this easy workaround?

Thanks!........

Bonzai11
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Sounds like it would go, but I would see if the audio and video quality are the same and the audio codec, I'm not sure if mkv has different kinds.
But theoretically it should work and since its a .bat should be easy as long as their isn't any keys or codes specific to different discs.

drokk54
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Yup......... gonna give it a go........ TNX......

I really am just after the most simple way i can get a 1080p blueray rip x264 to disk in a format that will boot just like a dvd, in bluray player or PS3.

The way they are being released at the moment tho, its made a ball ache un less ya gonna stream or run off HD.........

SonsOfLiberty
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Why don't you just Google it, or stream it?

If you Google it, you will find all kinds of software that will do it.

RudestBuddhist
08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
open the .bat in a text editor (like notepad) and copy/paste the contents. I'm curious what it's doing.

tufu1019
08-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Usually I use Tsmuxer to do this job.
Don't have any experience with mkv2bluray.bat.
But someone said(from google):
"PS3, BD standalone:
- extract all files to the same directory
- run the batch file (.bat)

mkv2bluray is specific to this release and will not
enable other releases to play in BD standalone or PS3"

So,maybe the attached mkv2bluray.bat file is specific to the relaese. You may need to change the content of the bat file for another release.
Just my guess.

drokk54
08-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Hmmm Interesting......... Ya would think that some clever chap would come up with a cool util that would act as a simple "mkv2bluray" util...... that would fix all....! That would be NICE!

hotshot6473
08-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Just use tsmuxer to create a avchd disk. I am pretty sure that the PS3 can play the files if they are in that disk format. On 1080p releases you are not gonna fit them onto a DVD9 so you can just play them with external harddrive or a large thumbdrive

Beck38
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
This all gets into areas I brought up in another part of this board, and the basic conflict is... what should one do with the x264 files, whatever container they happen to be in (AVCHD, mkv, ts, you name it).

I broke down almost two months ago and bought a PCH (popcorn hour) box. One of the main reasons was, I was at my wits end a bit trying to get any of the PD (or shareware) display/movie programs to play all the types of files I was throwing at it; I might add that NONE of the commercial programs (from NERO to Cyberlink to ?) would play all of them either, without failing on one or the other. The PCH has a few failings, but has done a LOT better than me 'tinkering' around with all kinds of add-ons, fixes, etc,, to those programs (not to mention the hassles of the PC graphics boards, NVidia or ATI, I have BOTH).

File size, no matter what type container, is a 'problem'. If the file isn't specifically 'sized' to dvd5/dvd9 (or smaller), then you're stuck saving it either to multiple removable discs, or onto hard drives (you'll notice that lots of AVCHD stuff aimed at the PS3 market IS sized to those sizes).

As I'm sitting here trying to 'repair' a 'small' 2TB linux RAID1 array (don't know if I can 'recover' the discs, the array is grinding away at it though), saving things to HD is eventually problematic. Right now I'm trying to decide on either 'reclaiming' an older Athlon64 system that has a motherboard-based RAID5 system (limited to 6-SATA drives), or pony up for the unRAID box/system (bare sans-discs prices are around $1500).

Right now I'm leaning toward putting a x1/PCIexpress card to 'power' the boot drive on that Athlon64 system (luckily has several free PCIexpress slots, up to an x4), leaving all 6 SATA ports free for a 7.5TB array (with 1.5TB drives); that will be around $700+ to do.

Just since I got the PCH, I've filled up almost 3 1.5TB drives spread around my LAN. A couple things to keep your eye on, is what the resolution, audio (DTS is much preferred coming off the high resolution soundtracks of the BluRay discs), extra audio (dir. commentary and such), captioning, and most important, the bit rate.

Most movies have been done just about every which way one can think of, so you have a 'choice'. But just like recoding SD DVD's, it may be that doing it yourself may be the best option.

SonsOfLiberty
08-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Just use tsmuxer to create a avchd disk. I am pretty sure that the PS3 can play the files if they are in that disk format. On 1080p releases you are not gonna fit them onto a DVD9 so you can just play them with external harddrive or a large thumbdrive

If you wait 6 months or so, BD blank media should be cheap enough, I'm see BD player dropping below $150. This would be the way to go, if the PS3 reads them, do what he said above AVCHD disk, but burn it to BD-RE

I'm cheap, as long as it works, ok for me :)

So this would be my way if I had a set-top player (I think set-top BD players connect to external storage drives and can be played form them), but I would buy a drive ($136.99)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-BDR-203BK-SW-BDRW-black-bulk/dp/B001WAJ2VU

And buy some BD-RE's.
$8 for 2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/TDK-BD-RE-25GB-Blu-ray-Jewel/dp/B000J6HZMQ/ref=pd_sim_dbs_ce_2

or $3 for 1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-BD-RE-Blu-ray-25GB-rewritable/dp/B000F7JIYM/ref=pd_sim_dbs_ce_3

but only single layer @25GB

Still 1080p rips are well below that, well generally speaking they are.

hotshot6473
08-13-2009, 03:05 AM
I wasn't talking about BD-25 disks. A majority of the disks coming out(that are untouched) are BD-50. I really doubt that they will come down in price for at least a year or two. Until then very few rips will be able to fit on BD-25 disks

SonsOfLiberty
08-13-2009, 03:24 AM
x264 rips, you can just add them to the BD-RE and play it on most players.

drokk54
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Got some BluRay 25's last weekend, Pack of ten: £20. From amazon.

Got pioneer 203 bluray burner yesterday......... wanna do some playing with BD-25s...

i would have thought that release groups would be making more of this format, maybe in the sameway that dvd5 is a kind of standard for standard def dvd.

Heres hoping.

SonsOfLiberty
08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
BD-25 isn't the standard though.....

drokk54
08-13-2009, 03:42 PM
yeah, its X264 (?)

But thats not standard enough!

The Public want a disk they can stick in their players. And then swap with theire neighbors....... lol

SonsOfLiberty
08-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure how the HD scene is setup, it's still pretty new. I would gather they went x26 right now, because of the price of disks, and mostly everyone now a days uses some sort streaming device.

I man once the speeds and enough people want BDR and such well see them like we do the DVDR's, but that's a huge jump from 8GB to 50GB :lol:

drokk54
08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
i just thought they might have started to make bd25's in the same way they compress all retail dvd-9's to dvd5...........

hotshot6473
08-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Even if they did sites wouldn't upload them because they are too big for their autos and servers. When DVDs stop being released then they will probably switch fully to DVD9 releases of AVCHD. And sometime in the far future once blurays are extremely cheap like a DVD5 is today they might switch to BD-25

drokk54
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
PS3 stuff still releases tho? And u cant do jack with them monkies...... or am i dreaming that?

hotshot6473
08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
No torrent sites release them anymore. They did initially because they did not know if the PS3 would be hacked soon. They can't hack it to play play backups so they don't release them anymore. There is still a scene that releases them but you need axx to get them.

They need to be backed up and archived for a later date when they might be usable

Beck38
08-14-2009, 06:18 AM
yeah, its X264 (?)

But thats not standard enough!

The Public want a disk they can stick in their players. And then swap with theire neighbors....... lol

Actually, just like AVCHD was just a couple years ago, with the PS3 the only thing out there that could play that 'type' of disk (with h/x264 encoding), the newest 'batch' of players (jvc, lg, and a couple of others just coming out right now) can play BD, AVCHD, x264/mkv, and in the case of I belive the LG, whatever wacky HD divx format there is.

So, that's the latest wave, and the early adopters of BD players are simply going to be left behind (or left wanting to upgrade).

Again, the 'problem' with streaming vrs. low-cost removables (dvd5/9) is the (high) probability of loss due to drive failure. My 'small' RAID array has been attempting a rebuild for just about one full week now, and I'm about to give up (I had about 1/3rd of the array backed up on other drives, though, so it's not a 'complete' loss, although I'm sure one or more of the drives is toast).

So even for a 'short term' solution, filing up a bunch of drives with stuff is,,, VERY short term. I have 4.5TB of drive space crammed fill of just stuff I've leeched off the newsgroups, not even counting the 2TB of stuff on that hosed raid array.

But I'm ramping up to go into some full-scale production of mkv's just as soon as I get all the h/w and s/w together, just like I did with standard DVD's almost 10 years ago.

Sporkk
08-14-2009, 01:46 PM
just use mkv2vob and a flash drive. remember to use the 3.99 gb file setting in mkv2vob. If you are intent on using your ps3 as a media player this is the way to go. I believe there is also a utility called swiss knife that you can format a external drive to have files over 4 gb. You still should use mkv2vob on the files anyway. Also on a flash drive you have to make a folder called "video" and put everything there.

I don't think its worth the trouble converting to dvd-5 to play on the ps3. I suggest getting a networked media tank.
x264 is the standard codec for hd material. Its so effective that you can compress large 1080p sources down to 720p and not tell much of a difference.

SonsOfLiberty
08-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I've always though in some instances to me anyway some 720p and 1080p sources looked/sounded the same, now I know I'm not crazy!

hotshot6473
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Well it can't really look the same since the width of the two are different. 720p has to have a 1280 width and a 1080p has to have 1920 width.

But in terms of quality and transparency to the source some 720p can look like the 1080p in terms of quality if the source is shitty

Beck38
08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
I've always though in some instances to me anyway some 720p and 1080p sources looked/sounded the same, now I know I'm not crazy!

It really has more to do with the 'quality' of the display unit, not the encoding or transmission. Being a very early adopter, neither of my displays do 1080P, and only one does 720P (they both do 1080i though). NONE of the LCD displays I see at the local stores come close to the quality of the 10 year old displays I own... But the ARE broadcast-grade displays.

I've d/l'ed several movies with both 720P and 1080P, and can't see any difference either. But it will have to wait until the next 'upgrade' go-around with a top-notch 1080P plasma (most probably a Panasonic, as it has the best reviews, now that Pioneer has dropped production of plasmas and sold the plant to Panasonic), and that puts it in the 2011 time frame (unless the economy collapses yet again).

The thing a lot of people forget about, is the audio. LOTS of x264 recodes have full-bitrate DTS (1.5+Mb/s) down-sampled from the HD audio (Dolby HD or DTS HD), and for most, it's almost overkill, as there is the option during recoding to do the audio at half-bitrate (768Kb/s) DTS, I've only seen one example of that. That's a LOT of bits, and one has to remember the audio is constant, not variable, like the video.

But until I get set up and do some 'real' testing, it's up in the air. And, a LOT of the Blu-Ray discs are pretty poor quality, if the 'high-end' magazines I read are correct. Again, the studios are following the same track with HD as they did with standard DVD's some 10 years ago... lots of poor quality mastering out there.

tufu1019
08-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Anyone just want to enjoy the HD contents easily like playing DVD by putting the disc and playing with remote
should know something about mini-BD,BD-9,BD-25,and even the more advanced RBD whcih all you can call knockoffs of blu-ray.
Most of these are discussed in Chinese but I think this
http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-media/93423-china-officially-released-blu-ray-high-definition-products-cbhd-players.html
is a good beginning.
Actually you can find many BD-9,BD-25,or RBD to download in some tackers esp. in Chinese just like there are many movies in AVCHD format available all over the internet.

tradeo
08-22-2009, 06:42 PM
i have a 32 LCD , and i thins i much better to play on 1080p

EyeBaller
08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
i have a 32 LCD , and i thins i much better to play on 1080p

720p will look just as good, don't bother.