PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 - how do you handle your codecs?

rabble1
08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I've ordered myself a nice HTPC which will be arriving tomorrow. I've got the latest Win 7 beta I plan on installing and I want to make sure I get my codecs right on the first try, as I've found that some codec packs can be very difficult to uninstall.

Presently on my XP install I'm using CCC + MPC. It works, but I always have trouble with WMV files; when opened with MPC or VLC, they are simply un-viewable. I have a serious suspicion it has something to do with CCC.

So, those of you that have a huge variety of video files, what codecs do you use on Windows 7 and which player have you found to be the best? Thanks!

colt45joe
08-04-2009, 08:08 PM
if specs of your pc arent that good... and you plan on watching 1080p movies, first install CoreAVC.

then klite:
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
use MPC to watch stuff..

after installing klite, install Cyberlink PowerDVD for Dvds.

rabble1
08-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I'll have a Radeon HD 4770, 4GB ram, and a X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz; so it's a pretty powerful build I've ordered.

dadelor
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Windows 7 unlike XP has alot codecs pre-installed, Im running windows 7 and havent installed any codecs and i havent had a problem playing a video yet. It would probably depend if you're gonna be watching .mkv videos or other high quality formats

S!X
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Windows 7 unlike XP has alot codecs pre-installed, Im running windows 7 and havent installed any codecs and i havent had a problem playing a video yet. It would probably depend if you're gonna be watching .mkv videos or other high quality formats

It doesn't have an xvid codec pre-installed from what I recall...had to install it after reformatting.

SonsOfLiberty
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM
No the RTM does have XviD I think, played all my movies so far in Media Center, and no "external" codecs installed, besides Gomplayer just incase MPC didn't play them.

{I}{K}{E}
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
check codecguide.com site has a tool for configuring preferred filters in Windows 7