PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else also think that the English language is weird?

OlegL
08-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Does anybody else also think that the English language is weird? The reason I find English weird is because I can't express myself in it. English has so many words and I don't know many of them. So, English is a weird language simply because I can't express myself when I speak English. For example, why does English have the indefinite and definite article? Why must I say, "I am a man" instead of saying, "I am the man"? I think I am THE man, given the fact that all women want me in bed.

Recursacro
08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
The English language is full of anomalies and loopholes. In my opinion, that's what makes it fun to learn. For example: Why would one park in a driveway, and drive in a parkway?

As for your comment on being the world's alpha male... :cool:

JPaul
08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
What the fuck is a parkway.

Recursacro
08-18-2009, 07:45 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkway

Google's your friend.

IdolEyes787
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I thought it was two Canadians discussing whether or not their car would fit into a spot or not.

" Park? Way?"

http://www.maniacworld.com/man-forces-a-parking-spot.jpg

JPaul
08-18-2009, 11:42 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkway

Google's your friend.

In the United States, Parkways are defined as follows:

1. A type of road
1. A broad landscaped thoroughfare; especially : one from which trucks and other heavy vehicles are excluded.
2. A roadway in a park : a landscaped thoroughfare connecting parks
3. An expressway located on a strip of land legally constituting a public park and therefore not open to heavy vehicles
2. A landscaped strip of land between a thoroughfare and its sidewalk (see Tree lawn) or running in the center of a thoroughfare (see Central reservation}

I thought this was about English, not American English. If people can't understand that, which is made up as they go along, they have no chance with a proper language.

Jerusalem
08-19-2009, 04:23 PM
English is a strange conglomeration of German, Latin, French and Nordic languages.

Hell yeah it's weird.

cinephilia
08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
shitty language if you ask me.
funny how you just need to add a preposition to those "overused" verbs to change their meaning...

zedaxax
08-19-2009, 05:50 PM
no worries mate, chinese or urdu will be our mother tongue.

Skiz
08-19-2009, 08:48 PM
One of my favorite skits ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWN9rTc08GU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDFQXxWIyvQ

C-mos
08-19-2009, 09:28 PM
funny

Rart
08-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Haha. The english language is one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. I've learned spanish over the years (which is much simpler) and my parents have mentioned that english was one of the most painful experiences of their life.

Barbarossa
08-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Learning English is a piece of piss. I learnt it as a small child and I've never regretted it. :yes:

Recursacro
08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Learning English is a piece of piss. I learnt it as a small child and I've never regretted it. :yes:

Hah, the funny thing is that I thought you were being facetious. By spelling learned the way you did, I thought that you were subtly hinting that it was indeed hard to learn. I then realized that it's just a British way of spelling it. Much like you may think that realise doesn't have a z. It's odd how the same language can change not only accents, but spelling too.

Zip
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't know about weird, but it sure is difficult. :dabs:

JPaul
08-25-2009, 09:34 PM

Hah, the funny thing is that I thought you were being facetious. By spelling learned the way you did, I thought that you were subtly hinting that it was indeed hard to learn. I then realized that it's just a British a perfectly acceptable way of spelling it alternative that I didn't know. Much like you may think that realise doesn't have a z. It's odd how the same language can change not only accents, but spelling too.

Fixed.

Oh and it's not the same language. I'm entirely happy to accept that American English exists as a language in it's own right. No problem with that whatsoever, get in there guys. However if you are suggesting that it's the same language then it isn't, it's just bad spelling.

You choose. It's one or the other.

pentomato
08-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Does anybody else also think that the English language is weird? The reason I find English weird is because I can't express myself in it. English has so many words and I don't know many of them. So, English is a weird language simply because I can't express myself when I speak English. For example, why does English have the indefinite and definite article? Why must I say, "I am a man" instead of saying, "I am the man"? I think I am THE man, given the fact that all women want me in bed.

regardles of what your first language is, I am sure you don't know every word of that language anyway.

j2k4
08-26-2009, 01:19 AM
regardles...

Methinks you've discovered a new word.

Snee
08-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Haha. The english language is one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. I've learned spanish over the years (which is much simpler) and my parents have mentioned that english was one of the most painful experiences of their life.

No, it isn't. The syntactic structure is relatively simple, the alphabet has less letters than many languages, and the lexicon isn't all that tricky. Neither the spoken, nor the written language is particularily remarkable, as far as learning it goes.

Skweeky
08-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Hah, the funny thing is that I thought you were being facetious. By spelling learned the way you did, I thought that you were subtly hinting that it was indeed hard to learn. I then realized that it's just a British way of spelling it. Much like you may think that realise doesn't have a z. It's odd how the same language can change not only accents, but spelling too.

You're both wrong. Learnt is a past participle and should only be used in conjuction with another verb. Ie: I have learnt something today. Learned is the passed tense of 'to learn'. So indeed, Barbie should have said' I learned it as a small child'. This due to the fact that this action is completely in the past. If he were still learning it, then 'I've learnt' would have been correct.

Fuck sake. It's not that fucking complicated.

Voetsek
08-26-2009, 10:22 PM
GayDay

zedaxax
08-27-2009, 08:32 PM
English, has problems i agree, for example,
yesterday = yes + ter + day - englishnisms have still to find a meaning for "ter"

digmen1
09-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Hey OlegL
All languages have their own bits of silliness.
English is the worlds best language, because it has so many words, so you can describe exactly what you want to say.
Try doing that in an non european language with only 1,000 words !
But Spanish sounds the sexiest

Alien5
09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Yester
Yester Meaning and Definition

1. (a.) Last; last past; next before; of or pertaining to yesterday.