PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay taken down by authorities....

Zaxx
08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I figured it was just a matter of time...:pinch:

From TorrentFreak:

Following the earlier court defeat for Fredrik, Gottfrid and Peter and the pending civil action taken by several Hollywood studios, the Swedish authorities have now ordered The Pirate Bay to be disconnected from the Internet. The site’s bandwidth suppliers have been threatened with a large fine. The site is completely offline.

The rest of the story...

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-taken-offline-by-swedish-authorities-090824/

Edit: Seems they've found another host!

"Update: As expected, The Pirate Bay site relocated and is back online (DNS still has to update for some people). A Pirate Bay insider told TorrentFreak that they “got a new connection to the net.” The tracker is still down and is expected to be fully operational tomorrow morning, we were told. Ever since their servers were raided back in 2006 they were prepared for takedown attempts like this."

John1988
08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
w00t :D
TPB ftw !!!

OlegL
08-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Long live the Pirate Bay!

Zaxx
08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Here's another good read about the financial happenings re: TPB

From Arstechnica:

Swedish court rules TPB admins too broke to pay damages.

The Swedish government can't find any assets with which to make The Pirate Bay defendants pay up, and its attempt to shut down TPB's ISP lasted only a matter of hours. Meanwhile, the sale of the site appears to be in jeopardy.

Rest of the story:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/08/swedish-court-rules-tpb-admins-too-broke-to-pay-damages.ars

C-mos
08-24-2009, 09:29 PM
again ?woot nice

Onion
08-24-2009, 11:44 PM
I think it may be down again, as I have not been able to access the site today.

Zaxx
08-25-2009, 12:12 AM
From TorrentFreak:
Another Update: The temporary host has a problem with its fiber causing the site to go offline again. Meanwhile, the downtime is causing traffic spikes for other torrent sites and trackers.

I think this is most likely just the beginning of the cat and mouse game to come between TPB and the authorities. As mentioned, they have been prepared for take downs since the first raid and have more than a few tricks up their sleeve.

Rart
08-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Nice fight they're putting up!

But hasn't TPB been bought out? What authority do the original owners still have left?

pone44
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
I thought the site was already shut down. Would not visit it if i knew it was up.

irish21
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
yeah, I'm kind of afraid to download from there now...

OnEyM
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
trackers don't work anyway, DHT, though, has enough peers
oh, wait, that doesn't stop anti-p2p to fine you with 5 million dollars

Onion
08-25-2009, 04:35 PM
It's working again now :-D

Zaxx
08-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Looks like someone's trying to complicate the sale of TPB...lol

"Pirate Bay buyer claims it's been smeared"

The rest of the story:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1530932/pirate-bay-buyer-claims-smeared

This is starting to resemble a soap opera...:lol:

marymary
08-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Maybe that's why the Mad Men S03E02 torrent took forever to get uploaded anywhere...

Rigel9
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Maybe that's why the Mad Men S03E02 torrent took forever to get uploaded anywhere...

Yeah, I herd teh scene releases on TPB now :naughty:

playerone
08-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Ive used TPB since I can remember. But, after I got FiOS, I became more "generous" and seeded to a higher ratio. Now i've been caught for downloading/sharing a piratebay torrent.

I think I'll stick to demonoid, but I dont know if that will make a difference.

Good luck to Thepiratebay.org

Rart
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
That's what private sites are for. Join a private 0day site (not demonoid) and you'll have a better chance of not getting caught.

Zaxx
08-26-2009, 07:39 PM
+1....if u have fios, screw public trackers, go private ftw! ;)

Xodianbarr
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Its good what tpb did, and i respect them a great deal for having the guts to take it to court. Its a shame they lost but in our current climate, it was an inevitability, big money wins out. But then thats why we're all doing it - Because of companies like them making millions in revenues, while the rest of the world goes starves. I dont believe things should be 'free' but, i believe the luxury prices companies and governments charge at the expense of the common person are 'criminal', especially when there is so much poor in the world. I for one was not particularly a fan of TPB, as im no fan of public trackers, they're too unrestrictive about content and quality and downloading is a labourious occupation. But I like what they stand for, and thats the issue.

Xodianbarr

Zaxx
08-27-2009, 07:14 PM
GGF still claims they are ready to buy...but there's more to it than meets the eye...

From theregister.co.uk:

Global Gaming Factory X (GGF) shareholders have unanimously given the thumbs up to the firm's plans to buy The Pirate Bay.
The Swedish company's boss, Hans Pandeya, told journalists at a press conference this afternoon that the 60m kronor ($7.7m) acquisition would go ahead.
Their seal of approval paves the way for ownership of the notorious BitTorrent site to change hands next month, assuming GGF can pony up the funds.
As we reported this morning, the Swedish stock exchange is mulling having the firm delisted from AktieTorget. Trading in GGF has been halted on the exchange since 21 August.
Several nervous investors pulled out of the proposed buyout of TPB, which was tabled in June, following the suspension.
Despite that, GGF's shareholders have today given the deal a green light. Pandeya said the acquisition would be paid for by shareholders. He holds half of the shares in the cybercafe software maker's business.
However, securing backing from all the company's shareholders does not mean this is a done deal, given the grumbles coming out of AktieTorget earlier today.
This one looks set to run and run. Or not. ®

Heh...and on top of that, Swedish authorities have launched a criminal investigation into the sale of TPB. GGF has some brave investors that all I can say. :blink:

pone44
08-27-2009, 08:12 PM
TPB is being watched. Who knows who this company is and what their plans are? They could be the authorities for all i know. Why use it? It is already completely infiltrated by anti P2p organizations.

Alien5
08-28-2009, 10:23 AM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff41/Flier8563/Run%20Paul/tinhat.jpg

pone44
08-29-2009, 01:14 AM
^Is how I look if attempting to visit tpg. Tin foil is getting expensive.