PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria In Bottled Mineral Water

sharedholder
10-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Bacteria In Bottled Mineral Water

Bottled mineral water may be responsible for thousands of cases of food poisoning, a study suggests.

Researchers say up to 6,000 infections a year by the bug campylobacter, the biggest cause of food-borne infection in Britain, could be traced to the bottled waters that are a regular part of many Britons' diet.

The bacteria cause diarrhoea and stomach aches, and in rare cases can be fatal. Despite the frequency of poisonings, more than 60 per cent of the 50,000 campylobacter infections a year are at the moment unexplained.

But scientists have found that bottled water may be a primary cause of infection. Other suspects are salad vegetables such as tomato and cucumber.

The scientists, led by Dr Meirion Evans, from the University of Wales in Cardiff, wrote in the American journal Emerging Infectious Diseases: "Eating chicken is a well-established risk factor, but consuming salad and bottled water are not.

"The association with salad may be explained by cross-contamination of food within the home, but the possibility that natural mineral water is a risk factor for campylobacter infection could have wide public health implications."

The scientists interviewed 213 campylobacter patients and 1,144 other people who complained of stomach problems but were not infected by campylobacter about their behaviour before they visited the doctor. Bottled water accounted for 12 per cent of the cases studied, salad 21 per cent and chicken 31 per cent.

Natural mineral water is obtained from springs or boreholes. Under European legislation, mineral water must be free from parasites and other infectious organisms but, unlike tap water, it cannot be treated in any way that might alter its chemical composition.

The researchers said organisms could survive for a long time, particularly in uncarbonated water.

The scientists added: "To our knowledge, campylobacter has not been identified in mineral water, but this may simply be because testing for campylobacter is rarely undertaken.

"Mineral water has, however, been identified in the past as a vehicle of transmission during a cholera epidemic, and as a potential source of typhoid fever in travellers."

SOURCE (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=449399)

titey
10-03-2003, 08:58 AM
So in other words.... you might as well drink out of the toilet.... just like the dog. http://www.piczonline.com/client/titey/pup.gif

lynx
10-03-2003, 11:21 AM
The article is inaccurate in respect of treatment affecting chemical composition, or at least out of date.

Commission Directive 2003/40/EC (16 May 2003) establishes concentration limits for various elements, and conditions for using ozone enriched air to remove excess concentrations, although these do not fully come into force until the end of this year, although existing producers of bottled mineral water have until May 2004 to comply. Note that these are compulsary regulations, up until this directive there is no requirement to treat the water for mineral concentrations, but there is certainly nothing to prevent such treatment although the methods for doing so are restricted.

Source (http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/foodindustry/Consultations/consulteng/mineralwatercons2003eng)

A recent report by the Drinking Water Inspectorate (UK) showed that the "cleanest" water (in terms of bacterial content) is in fact "straight from the tap". Sorry, I can't find the source for this.

MagicNakor
10-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by lynx@3 October 2003 - 12:21
...the "cleanest" water (in terms of bacterial content) is in fact "straight from the tap"...
Surely not where I live. ;)

:ninja:

lynx
10-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor+3 October 2003 - 12:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MagicNakor @ 3 October 2003 - 12:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@3 October 2003 - 12:21
...the "cleanest" water (in terms of bacterial content) is in fact "straight from the tap"...

:ninja: [/b][/quote]
No, I don&#39;t think the UK DWI has quite got round to testing water in Canadia.

Anyway, surely a quick wave of your wand (you can get arrested for that over here) would solve any contamination problems. :P

j2k4
10-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by lynx+3 October 2003 - 07:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 3 October 2003 - 07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MagicNakor@3 October 2003 - 12:06
<!--QuoteBegin-lynx@3 October 2003 - 12:21

:ninja:
No, I don&#39;t think the UK DWI has quite got round to testing water in Canadia.

Anyway, surely a quick wave of your wand (you can get arrested for that over here) would solve any contamination problems. :P [/b][/quote]
As I read this, I look out my window at Lake Superior.

I am a lucky guy. ;)

lynx
10-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by j2k4@3 October 2003 - 17:07
As I read this, I look out my window at Lake Superior.

I am a lucky guy. ;)
Yeah, I here you can get films developed free just by dipping them in there. :lol:

3rd gen noob
10-03-2003, 05:39 PM
scottish tap water is generally very clean, but i still prefer evian

muchspl2
10-03-2003, 06:08 PM
should check out bullshit&#33; on showtime penn & teller debunk alot and one ep was bottled water, they were selling it 5 bucks a glass or more and it came out a old hose in the back
funny stuff