PDA

View Full Version : Slow Downloads

nice2bfun
10-03-2003, 04:15 PM
I am new here in this forum but have been using klite for a number of years and have been reading almost everything what has been posted here. I also have experienced very slow downloads (0.05 to 1.04kb) with an average of 25 download files, mostly movies, with the new versions of Klite and no matter what I tried to solve this (from all of your tips and postings) it did not solve the problem, so what did I do?.. I had removed all my downloads to another folder and completely removed Klite from my PC, then I downloaded one of the older versions prior to august 26 installed this and moved my downloads back and now I have decent download speeds again. average from 3.kb to 45.kb. By the way my provider is Fast Cable and my PC is an pent 4 - 3.0 gig with 1024 mem and a very large HD 240Gb...My believe is that with all the new SN additions, that somehow a bug is present in the new versions, maybe this is a tip for all of you that are struggeling with slow downloads and for the creators to look into.

nikita69
10-05-2003, 12:54 AM
This tips is found in the FAQ and this board
how's ur download now?
I've 2.4.3 and dl @ 1.5-2mb ul @ .5-1mb (becuase I optimized my pc hard/software before installing KL++)
if you feel that there is a bug, then report it in the development section with supported documents/examples
welcome aboard :)

booooooooo9
10-14-2003, 02:10 PM
B) Hey you are saying sumthing verry true had avarage speed of 100.00 kb/s on old version ,when I installed the new one it went down to avarage of 5.00-0.5 I'm gona reinstall the old one and try it!

MUSLEMAN
10-15-2003, 02:00 PM
remember its not the version but the files or the supernodes :lol:

b33fy
10-15-2003, 02:54 PM
There is no doubt that a good supernode is essential for download speeds and sources, however I have also found that downloads are more reliable with the older versions especially with large downloads.
I find that the newer versions seem to assign smaller chunks for each source to supply and when they have downloaded it then tries to get the next small chunk from the same source which it often cannot get because there is obviously a queue and no free slot, older versions seem to allocate larger chunks per source and reduce this to the back of the queue problem.
I'm probably totally wrong but that is what it looks like to me.

littlestevee
10-15-2003, 03:32 PM
TEST IT AND POST HERE
I am curios

b33fy
10-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Ok here goes

Downloading the same 700mb file

K-lite 2.4.3 6 users downloading between 203kb and 4885kb chunks

k-lite 1.7.2 6users downloading between 410kb and 109294kb chunks

There definitely appears to be a difference how the download is handled between the two versions.

b33fy
10-15-2003, 06:36 PM
The largest chunk is now 420749kb with 1.7.2

Psycho_Medic
10-21-2003, 03:36 AM
I guess im just downloading from crap monkeys because that didnt help me at all... MABIE ILL RUN KAZAA TWICE MUHAHAHAHA

Nvm u cant run kazaa and kazaa lite at the same time lol

b33fy
10-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Downloading the same 700mb file

K-lite 2.4.3 6 users downloading between 203kb and 4885kb chunks

k-lite 1.7.2 6users downloading between 410kb and 109294kb chunks

Just reread my previous post, it is confusing, the download using k-lite 1.7.2 was after closing down 2.4.3 and starting 1.7.2

aphistionakis
10-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post to the board, but I've been using P2P applications for some time and have been monitoring the 'slow download' debates for some time.

The exact same thing has happened to me as has obviously happened to so many others - previously fast downloads from single sources slowing to a crawl with several users. Didn't think there was anything to be done - jumping & localising supernodes did zip.

I've just tried the tip of going back to an older version of KazaaLite (1.7.2) and two downloads that have been intermittently connecting on and off at speeds averaging 0.03 - 0.5 Kb/sec are now zipping along at 28 Kb/sec and 13 Kb/sec respectively :D

Given this, can people really continue to claim that the problem is nothing to do with the software. :-"

MUSLEMAN
10-21-2003, 10:21 AM
it does not have anything to do with the software, why don't you open kdat and add those sources to the dat in 2.4.3 and we will see what happenes, you guys are running a test but all things are not the same, for one both 1.7.2 and 2.4.3 are not connected to the same supernode are they??? lmao

b33fy
10-21-2003, 02:16 PM
it does not have anything to do with the software, why don't you open kdat and add those sources to the dat in 2.4.3 and we will see what happenes, you guys are running a test but all things are not the same, for one both 1.7.2 and 2.4.3 are not connected to the same supernode are they??? lmao 

No I guess they weren't using the same supernode, but i guess using Kazupernode I could test further, but there is definitely something different in how the two versions break up the download into chunks for each source, maybe when i've got time I will test speeds further.

darkewolf
10-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I know that this question isnt relevant to the download speeds, but it is relevant to one of the other probs that a lot of peeps are having. Do the older versions have the same problem with dropped sources as the newer versions do?

And not that I am arguing with ANYbody, or saying that ANYbody has made any mistakes, or trying to lay blame on anybody, or anything like that..... But, I do have to say one thing: Using MicroSoft as my example, the "newest, best, improved version" aint always just that. I say that, without any firsthand proof that the newer versions of KL have a flaw, or are causing probs, I FULLY realize that there are a lot of outside influences at work here. And I'm not saying that the newer versions are a part of the prob...or that they arent' part of it. I'm just saying that newer aint always best.

MUSLEMAN
10-22-2003, 07:23 AM
i agree with you with ms but as klite goes paul is no dummy boss http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gifpaul

b33fy
10-22-2003, 09:01 AM
IMO the older version allocates larger chunks of the download to each source and seems thereby to hold on to each source longer, this means less going to the back of the queue to try to get more from that source.
I tend to use the new version to search for files and start to download and then switch to the older version to run overnight alongside Speed-Up.