PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb slow, anyone else?

Ballz2TheWallz
08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
My astraweb is topping out at about 1300KBps right now, averaging more like 1100KBps. Normally I get 3100KBps+, I don't pay for my usenet to be slower than torrents. Is anyone else here having a problem? I'm using all 10 connections and each is only pulling 110-140KBps, I ran a speedtest and the results came back as 26mbps so my connection is fine.

tnt
08-27-2009, 06:22 PM
i never had a problem with astraweb already a year.max out my line 14Mbps with 6 conn.
read the news page http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=view
or open a ticket:)

playerone
08-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm giving this news server a try. Do they only have around 38,000 groups?
Last night mine was only downloading at 2.1MB (not bytes)

dutchmaster420
08-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm giving this news server a try. Do they only have around 38,000 groups?
Last night mine was only downloading at 2.1MB (not bytes)

The 38,000 is more than enough...youll find all the binaries you need, and anything else...most of astrawebs 38,000 or giganews's 100,000+ are useless

you were dling at 2.1MB...well what is your connection speed?

unoriginal
08-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Have you tried upping the connections to see if that would make a difference? On a monthly plan you are allowed 20. Also try running a reverse traceroute from here: http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

If you are seeing big spikes in the latency you can ask to be switched to another route. When I first signed up I was going through Limelight (llnw.net) but got horrible speeds. I opened a ticket and asked to get moved to Level3 instead and the speeds have been great ever since.

EyeBaller
08-28-2009, 04:28 AM
Or, have you tried decreasing the connections. Use the minimum connections to max your line for best efficiency.

Beck38
08-28-2009, 04:57 AM
It did take a bit of a dive 2-3 days ago; I can usually fully saturate my d/l connection (sits right at 100% full, no dips or sags) with 3 connections. Now I have to ramp it up to 6 connections and it's around 98%.

When I first noticed it, I immediately ran a tracert from myself to their server plant, and the route wasn't taking any weird extra hops or delays that I could see.

What I did do is suck off the Amsterdam/EU site instead. Tracert to that server is the same amount of hops, as there is a 'virtual circuit' from A large city next to me over Global Crossing that goes straight to Amsterdam, so the number of hops (and the delay) is just as 'close' to me as is Astrawebs main plant in San Jose.

But something did occur, probably at the 'front end' of the San Jose serve plant.

ploopsy
08-28-2009, 05:53 AM
1300KBps?!?!? I wish I had your problems :-P

UncleElroy
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM
HI mate I also was only getting 1.3mbps on a 20mb line. Max connections was set to 4 so I changed it to 20 and up to 2.3mbps now. I'm using newsbin pro

SonsOfLiberty
08-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Remember this, if you conected via a "router" and your client gets excessive low speeds, do this, unplug router + modem for abut 5 minutes or less and re-connect them, re-connect via computer and re start client, you should see your full speed back. But also your connections plays into this greatly, you honestly can't have 20 connections and expect to "get full speed".

ploopsy
08-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Remember this, if you conected via a "router" and your client gets excessive low speeds, do this, unplug router + modem for abut 5 minutes or less and re-connect them, re-connect via computer and re start client, you should see your full speed back. But also your connections plays into this greatly, you honestly can't have 20 connections and expect to "get full speed".

Routers and modems could and should run 247 without problems, a computer should also do the same. A power cycle might work as a quick fix but I would consider it temporary.

My astraweb is topping out at about 1300KBps right now, averaging more like 1100KBps. Normally I get 3100KBps+, I don't pay for my usenet to be slower than torrents. Is anyone else here having a problem? I'm using all 10 connections and each is only pulling 110-140KBps, I ran a speedtest and the results came back as 26mbps so my connection is fine.

Try doing some tinkering.

Have you tried all 3 servers (general, us, eu)?
Have you tried an ssl connection?
Is your wireless secure?

SonsOfLiberty
08-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Routers and modems could and should run 247 without problems, a computer should also do the same. A power cycle might work as a quick fix but I would consider it temporary.

Try doing some tinkering.

Have you tried all 3 servers (general, us, eu)?
Have you tried an ssl connection?
Is your wireless secure?

Well to be honest routers don't and neither do modems, after a solid day or two, or so of smooth download (this is like a once a week thinkg, maybe 2 week thing), my speeds decline almost 75%, and I do the router trick and all good for about 4-5 days, it's not my ISP or Astraweb, the power cycle works every time for me, even if just do it for 10 seconds, some days, I have to leave un plugged for a few mintues, try it, bet it works.

unoriginal
08-30-2009, 05:33 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Level3 is missing from Astraweb's list of transit providers on this page: http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

I ran a traceroute from there and noticed I am now using Global Crossing instead. This might explain some of the problems people are having. But I want to say that I remember reading in a news item from a few months back stated that most of their traffic would go over L3 going forward. However I can't seem to find any mention of this on their site.

dutchmaster420
08-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Level3 is missing from Astraweb's list of transit providers on this page: http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

I ran a traceroute from there and noticed I am now using Global Crossing instead. This might explain some of the problems people are having. But I want to say that I remember reading in a news item from a few months back stated that most of their traffic would go over L3 going forward. However I can't seem to find any mention of this on their site.

yea i noticed this too...they said a majority of their service would be moving to Level 3...yet it's not even listed under their providers anymore

heres the article where they talk about the new agreement with level 3

http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=12

CrucifynDi3
08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
honestly astraweb has always been faster for me, even faster than giganews ;p

unoriginal
09-01-2009, 02:30 AM
I didn't really need confirmation as I already knew L3 was gone for Astraweb but here is their reply to my ticket about it:

We no longer use level3. And yes, currently you are routed through Global Crossing, which is one of our best providers.

Thank you and have a great day !

Regards,
Kylie

Gruelius
09-02-2009, 03:37 AM
i get 13-15mb/s (megabytes) from my .us vps and 8mb/s from my australia .edu so im pretty sure its not astraweb's fault ;p

topicaltapioca
09-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I've been in Australia for the past year, and using the US Astraweb server, I max my 12mbps, never had anything else go half that speed. I generally use 8 connections, which is possibly too much, but, "it depends".

A friend of mine I got on Astraweb in Sweden nearly always gets about 12mb/sec on his 100mbps (To an eu server for him, of course).

Never any problems on their side, just when my ISP sometimes remembers to cap my bandwidth for the month. ;-)

09-09-2009, 03:15 PM
HI mate I also was only getting 1.3mbps on a 20mb line. Max connections was set to 4 so I changed it to 20 and up to 2.3mbps now. I'm using newsbin pro

same as me

astraweb with newsbin pro 5.53

i open 20 connection received download only 170 KBps:frusty:

topicaltapioca
09-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Maxing my connection here. 20mbps

Tried contacting them?

EyeBaller
09-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Once again, I repeat, do not just jump from 4 to 20 connections. Add one at a time and use the MINIMUM number of connections to max your speed. If you are still having issues, try with/without SSL and then, as topicaltapioca said, contact Astraweb, they may be able to change your routing to increase your speed.

09-10-2009, 05:57 AM
I try set the connection from 1 connection till 20 max it did not help
try ssl too but drop speed slower
try all port

Maybe i must to submit a ticket or try a giganews

topicaltapioca
09-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Have you tried both Europe and US servers?

Different newsreader?

I'd suggest to take the moments required to do so to provide Astraweb with as much information as possible with a ticket.

Oh, and before jumping Astraweb, might be a good idea to try Giganews' free trial to see if that fixes it, AFTER the ticket to see if they can't do something for you.

unoriginal
09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Run a reverse traceroute from this page: http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

Take note of what outgoing backbone is being used. Then open a support ticket and asked to be moved to a different one to see if that helps. I had to do this when I first signed up as my speed and ping times were horrible with the default provider I was stuck with.