PDA

View Full Version : Router Question

apunkrockmonk
10-04-2003, 06:02 AM
if two computers are connected to the same router, can they directly connect to eachother to send files between them quickly? if so, how, I can't figure it out

lynx
10-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Yes, but you may need additional network services.

What OS are you using, and what software components are used on your network cards. If you are using Win2k or XP, go to Settings/Network and Dial-up Connections, then select your Local Area Connection and look at the properties. You need

Client For Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

There may be alternatives for XP, but these are the ones I would recommend.

apunkrockmonk
10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
we both have xp and have all of those under properties, what do we have to do to actually like see eachother on the network?

Mik3ll
10-04-2003, 03:02 PM
we normally share files in AIM, the speeds of transfering goes over 500kb/s

apunkrockmonk
10-04-2003, 03:18 PM
i know, last time we tried that it worked, now for some reason it transfers like its going through the internet, I have no idea why

lynx
10-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Why on earth would you want to use AIM on your own network? It's a lot simpler than that.

You need to set up both pc's to share a workgroup. Right click on "My computer" and select properties. Select the network identification tab and press the "Properties" button.
Set the computer name on each machine to something that is easy to remember (but they must be different) and set a workgroup name (this time the must both be the same).
I think you will have to reboot the machines at this point.

On one of the machines (or both if you like) create a folder where you want to transfer files. Right click on the folder and select "Sharing...". In the sharing tab, select "Share this folder" and give it a share name.

On the other machine, open "My Network Places", and select "Computers Near Me" - hopefully you should see the other pc, and if you click on the pc you should see the share you have created. Click on this and it will ask you for a username and password - this is a username and password on the other pc.

Alternatively, if you can't see the other pc, you can select "Add Network Place", and in the box type "\\otherpc\sharename" (replace with whatever you have called the pc and share). It should find the other machine and as before it will ask you for a username and password.

You can now simply copy files to/from the shared folder whenever you want. And the transfer speed should be in the region of 100mb/s.