PDA

View Full Version : Serious Computer Problem

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 08:23 AM
I started having problems with my computer the other day after I went to altavista.com and some other crack websites. I've been having that annoying blue screen 'A fatal exeception has occurred at VHD' followed by some numbers. One time I started up the computer and while it was loading everything in the task bar, the blue screen came on. Then while I was online and was working on something in paintbrush, and nothing was downloading nor any program was starting up, the blue screen popped up again. The blue screen comes up alot and its driving me nuts. Also my screen freezes. Its never done this before except when Sygate Firewall is loading in the task bar and when Kazaa Lite first loads up, but when those programs load up its only for a second or two that it freezes.

Sometimes the whole screen will freeze including my cursor, then sometimes I can move the cursor, but do nothing else. Then today a box popped up and said 'explorer has performed an error and will be shut down', everything in the task bar went away execept for the sound icon and task manager icon. I load up programs and either it freezes or blue screen comes up. All these problems don't happen constantly but just enough to be a pain in the ass. I scanned my computer for viruses, and for spyware, and for trojans but I don't have any of those.

There was a program the other day that I found that was never there before which I posted about. I deleted it, though it wasn't spyware or a virus. Still don't know how it got on my computer. I've never had these problems before except for when I went to those websites. I just got this hard drive 2 months ago, and I ran scan disk and defragmenter for the first time. That sped it up but I still have the blue screen problem. What reason would the blue screen come up? Can someone please help me? Whoever does is a miracle worker. Thanks :)

btw Thanks for reading this. Sorry it was long.

asmithz
10-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Does so menu pop up saying you comp needs to shutdown? Did you update your defs before the scan? You may want to goto sysmatec.com and do research there.

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Agent Smith@4 October 2003 - 02:27
Does so menu pop up saying you comp needs to shutdown? Did you update your defs before the scan? You may want to goto sysmatec.com and do research there.
I use Housecall Trend Micro. I guess I could scan again with them. btw does symatec have a free online scan?

asmithz
10-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Yes i think they give free scans, takes hella long tho. I think theres a company called pcline that does a good online scan.

asmithz
10-04-2003, 08:37 AM
GO here this look like a good online scan.

http://stop-sign.com/

[B][O][T]
10-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Moved this to Softwareworld.

BOT

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 08:49 AM
A VHD with a bunch of numbers after it was a virtual hardware device last time i checked. But by all means take the advice of these experts and scan away! You wouldn't be the first to be so mislead by them. When you are finished such nonsense, you really should start uninstalling whatever crap you have installed lately in an effort to undo the damage you have caused.

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 08:55 AM
I've uninstalled some programs that I've recently installed, which I thought might be causing the problem but that blue screen still comes up. :( Oh wait maybe it was VXD. I think that was it. Well its still an aggravating thing whatever it is.

asmithz
10-04-2003, 08:56 AM
I was just trying to help, its better then your advice. Now thats it see if she finds a virus, worm, whatever, and what not. Then will find out what we can do if it isnt.

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 08:57 AM
I knew what you meant ;)

Can you remove all devices and drivers and reinstall from a mainboard utility disk?

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Agent Smith@4 October 2003 - 08:56
I was just trying to help, its better then your advice. Now thats it see if she finds a virus, worm, whatever, and what not. Then will find out what we can do if it isnt.
Excuse me but I'm quite sure my dick is larger than yours.

asmithz
10-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by LeGoMyFnLeg+4 October 2003 - 00:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LeGoMyFnLeg @ 4 October 2003 - 00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Agent Smith@4 October 2003 - 08:56
Excuse me but I&#39;m quite sure my dick is larger than yours. [/b][/quote]
WTF does that have do with musichicks problem.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a0/boid.gif

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Nothing at all. It was however a well suited response to your problem.

asmithz
10-04-2003, 09:27 AM
You seem to think this is your own personal flame board, well its not. Were here to help each other, not act like assholes.

Sorry Musichick for him hyjacking this thread. Hows it all going?

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Then stop behaving like one and start providing answers based on the symptoms and facts given. When you&#39;ve done that then you may fan your feathers.

asmithz
10-04-2003, 09:33 AM
I get advice, i never said i had all the answers. ;) Dude get off it its over, goto the lounge if you want to flame people.

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Well I went to symantec. I installed the stuff to do the online scan and that scan was taking forever&#33; Wow&#33; I&#39;ll have to scan it tommorow when I have more time. It&#39;s 3 in the morning here. :P I think that symantec is going to be more thorough than Housecall. Looks more reliable. Does anyone know why we get the blue screens?

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by MusicChick@4 October 2003 - 09:48
Does anyone know why we get the blue screens?
Yes.

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by LeGoMyFnLeg+4 October 2003 - 03:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LeGoMyFnLeg @ 4 October 2003 - 03:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MusicChick@4 October 2003 - 09:48
Does anyone know why we get the blue screens?
Yes. [/b][/quote]
Um then why do we get them and what do they mean?

asmithz
10-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by MusicChick@4 October 2003 - 01:48
Well I went to symantec. I installed the stuff to do the online scan and that scan was taking forever&#33; Wow&#33; I&#39;ll have to scan it tommorow when I have more time. It&#39;s 3 in the morning here.&nbsp; :P&nbsp; I think that symantec is going to be more thorough than Housecall. Looks more reliable. Does anyone know why we get the blue screens?
Oh, i forgot that you have win98. This is a very common thing that happens with that OS. I use to get it alot. Its not a virus, so cancel that. :P Run scan disc and a defrag and it should put it in shape. This is what i would do to fix it.

Um then why do we get them and what do they mean?

Its a problem in the OS, do whats above and it should fix it.

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 09:59 AM
I ran Scan disk and I defraged but I still got a blue screen today and it froze once too. :( A friend of mine had win98 and had the same problem. So is this just the way win98 is? Sometimes I think I was better off with win95. :unsure: Is there any way to reduce the blue screens? System Mechanic maybe?

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Oh good lord

asmithz
10-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Sadly 98 is very flawed (the blue screen is common), 2000 runs like XP but dosent have the fluff.

What you can do is put the win98 disc in and reinstall, But dont delete everything. Just reinstall the OS. To do that you just put the disc in well windows is loaded and install. Just do what it says and make sure you dont click wipe out all files option. This should bring back win98&#39;s origanal setup. You may be missing something or something got move to the wroung place.

Oh good lord

Funny the last two post you have flamed and said you know the answer, but you dont tell it. ALso the fact that i am giving the right answers now make me laugh, at you.

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 10:06 AM
(cough) http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=550516 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=71646&view=findpost&p=550516) ;)

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks Agent Smith for all the help you&#39;ve been. I greatly appreciate it. :D And thanks for not being rude to me too. :)

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Well he was only rude to me and not you cause you&#39;re a girl. Hmph&#33;

MusicChick
10-04-2003, 11:10 AM
I don&#39;t think he was rude. He was very helpful. :)

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Oh, reinstall your operating sytem was helpfull alright :lol:

:blink:

ck-uk
10-04-2003, 11:59 AM
A blue screen normaly happens if u have a hardware/software driver conflict.
Most probably one of your drivers currupt or probably conflicting with another,or software drivers installed by motherboards,anti virus programs and like.The only thing is finding the problem driver.U could tri uninstalling your a/v and firwall for a while and see its ok.If it is.Install one back to see which ones the problem..or just use differnt ones.If its another driver like a hardware..unless u know what your doing..u maybe better reinstalling windows.Problems like these are hard to help with over a forum or chat. :D

U could also check your directx or if u havnt update to the latest version. :D

darkewolf
10-05-2003, 02:01 AM
I have to agree and disagree with some of these posts. Yes, a bluescreen is caused when you have a software, or a driver that is curropt, or is in conflict with another one. Yeah, that usually means a reinstall of whatever it is that&#39;s causing it- no that&#39;s not an easy task, to track down the source.
I personally dont agree with reinstalling just the OS (winbloze 98, even tho I do agree it&#39;s a piece of crap, I had less probs with win95 too) because the reinstall of just the OS will remove all of your registry settings for the other softwares that you have installed on the comp. Basically if that happens, you have to reinstall all of the softwares, to restore their registry settings.
A lot easier just to format, IMHO. But, that&#39;s not my recommendation to do, unless all else fails, or you just get too frustrated with it to do anything else (The thought of taking a large, heavy hammer to it crosses my mind now and then too, but I try to avoid that one at all costs&#33;)

basically the bluescreen is being caused by a program that got botched in a failed shutdown, or something/someone tampering with software that&#39;s on the computer, and botched it. If it&#39;s doing it while the comp boots, I&#39;d say that It&#39;s one of the progs that are located in your boot menu (the progs that startup when the system starts up.) That&#39;s the first place I&#39;d look for reinstalling.
Also if you hit start>run> type in MSCONFIG> click selective startup>then the startup tab, and uncheck any of your non-vital programs that start up with the comp, the system itself will run cleaner without all of that crap taking up system resources. I dont know what all is on your system, but systray, scanregistry, anything that starts with Smc (that&#39;s your sygate) and machine debug manager, are ones that you should leave checked, if they are present.

Hope this helps

darkewolf
10-05-2003, 02:05 AM
also, I&#39;d be wary of those warez sites, some of them include malicious scripts in their pages, that do more than just cause popups. If you arent already using it, click the SPYBOT link on the kazaalite.tk page, and use that. update it, and then click the IMMUNIZE button. that will help with blocking unwanted malicious code from being loaded up onto your system, and making changes to it without your permission. I THINK the immunize only works with Internet Explorer tho...but I could be wrong on that.