PDA

View Full Version : Eggs?

Skiz
09-04-2009, 07:16 PM
How does one know when eggs are past their prime?

:eyebrows:

Skiz
09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Other than the obvious beak in the skillet.

chalice
09-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Ask her doctor if'in she's had a hysterectomy?

Skiz
09-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Too late. Already gobbled them up in a scrambled heap of cheese and venison snausages. Mornsup btw. :smilie4:

IdolEyes787
09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
If you got them in the grocery store look at the best before date ,you have about 1-2 weeks after that.

There is also this old adage but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
" Put an egg in a glass of water. If it sinks, it's still good .If it floats then it's rotten.

Intr4ns1t
09-04-2009, 11:10 PM
If it stinks to high heaven when you crack it, don't bother ;)

brotherdoobie
09-05-2009, 12:52 AM
How does one know when eggs are past their prime?

:eyebrows:

They babble incessantly about the "good old days."

-bd

kallieb
09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
you guys.... it's easy :) Cut/paste from a site (can't take credit) but it does work, trust me. Here you go:

Fill a fairly deep bowl with water and carefully lower the egg into the water.

A very fresh egg will immediately sink to the bottom and lie flat on its side. This is because the air cell within the egg is very small. The egg should also feel quite heavy.

As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface. The egg will still be good enough to consume, however, if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad.

j2k4
09-05-2009, 01:38 AM
you guys.... it's easy :) Cut/paste from a site (can't take credit) but it does work, trust me. Here you go:

A very fresh egg will immediately sink to the bottom and lie flat on its side. This is because the air cell within the egg is very small. The egg should also feel quite heavy.

The emboldened passage begs a question or two but nevermind.

As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface. The egg will still be good enough to consume, however, if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad.

So buy a dozen and sink 'em in the 'fridge.

Toss the little bastards as they pop up.

Zip
09-05-2009, 09:00 AM

So much work. I prefer easter eggs, you can eat them even though they're old. :happy:

weenden
09-06-2009, 12:19 AM
mmmmnnn egggs scramble em up im hungry

Skiz
09-06-2009, 05:30 AM

:sage:

swizZ8
09-06-2009, 06:53 AM
:chef:

http://www.zai3p.com/blog/IMG2/omelette.jpg