PDA

View Full Version : rtorrent 0.8.5 officially stable

xirvflux
09-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi,

We have some users complain about rtorrent not being able to connect with some trackers (blac...) because 0.8.5 was labeled unstable in the home page regardless of being around for months.

Anyway we asked rtorrent author's about this and 0.8.5 is officially stable now, and there is no unstable version.

So please tracker mods update your allow list :-)

OlegL
09-11-2009, 07:39 PM
The only problem is that BCG still doesn't allow it.

xirvflux
09-12-2009, 07:46 AM

Do they have a reason?

kooftspc11
09-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Do they have a reason?

stoi has a penis the size of florida...limp

that's all the reason he needs

OlegL
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Do they have a reason?

I am not sure. I know that some person on BCG has to test it before it gets approved. All the other trackers that I am using allow rtorrent 0.8.5.
By the way, rtorrent is the best client ever!!!!

End-M-Mick
10-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Do they have a reason?

I am not sure. I know that some person on BCG has to test it before it gets approved. All the other trackers that I am using allow rtorrent 0.8.5.
By the way, rtorrent is the best client ever!!!!

You may think so but i'm having a few issues with it. Namely not reporting accurately :dabs:

xirvflux
10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=OlegL;3289418]
You may think so but i'm having a few issues with it. Namely not reporting accurately :dabs:

You _really_ need to elaborate on this. We (Xirvik) hired Jari Sundell (rtorrent's author) to fix stuff we needed - in fact he's working on giving XMLRPC a speed boost because we all know that a very busy rtorrent times out to rutorrent from time to time...

So to make a long story short, we are willing to pay him to fix ANY BUG that relates to a major thing such as reporting, but we need a good bug report he can work with.

For the record, we don't think there's any problem, but you never know...

This offer is open to anyone, but I assume only tracker mods with have access to the hard proof that we will need. Anyway: Contact us. We will make sure this is given priority (by paying of course :-) ).

kooltilldend
10-21-2009, 06:39 PM
^^ you are probably better off making a topic about this than expect staff/mods to read a random post

TrollinThunder
10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
I like how you inject capital into an opensource project for your own benefit.

xirvflux
10-23-2009, 08:18 AM

- It benefits the author which gets paid for a change
- It benefits the community in general because the patches he makes for us make it to the general version
- It benefits our users because they are first in getting fixes and their bug reports gets priority
- And of course it benefits us because it brings more users.

Usually people who think there shouldn't be money involved in open source don't program themselves and want the programmers to adjust the software to their needs with no compensation whatsoever :-)

We are not that way, we need rtorrent to address certain issues, we pay for it (not that we have a large budget of course, but it's usually enough to get things going).

For the record, rtorrent is just one of the products we try to help with. Torrentflux-b4rt too, and others.

End-M-Mick
11-02-2009, 06:36 PM
^^ Well said Mr. Xirflux but don't you think you should fix your bugs b4 unleashing your 'product' on people who are 'paying' for an untested 'product'.

TrollinThunder
11-02-2009, 07:06 PM

- It benefits the author which gets paid for a change
- It benefits the community in general because the patches he makes for us make it to the general version
- It benefits our users because they are first in getting fixes and their bug reports gets priority
- And of course it benefits us because it brings more users.

Usually people who think there shouldn't be money involved in open source don't program themselves and want the programmers to adjust the software to their needs with no compensation whatsoever :-)

We are not that way, we need rtorrent to address certain issues, we pay for it (not that we have a large budget of course, but it's usually enough to get things going).

For the record, rtorrent is just one of the products we try to help with. Torrentflux-b4rt too, and others.

I don't really care about opensource. I was just being a dick. That's a reasonable explanation though. You're alright guy. If I ever feel like ordering epenis enhancement, I'll give you a holler.

xirvflux
11-02-2009, 10:55 PM
^^ Well said Mr. Xirflux but don't you think you should fix your bugs b4 unleashing your 'product' on people who are 'paying' for an untested 'product'.

rtorrent is not out product. It's a product we use as do lots of other users.

I just happen to sell a product that depends on rtorrent, and because of that, I pay its author to make sure it's improved and bugfixed as bugs are reported by our users.

The alternative is of course just bug him in their support forums until he feels like working a bit for free, and wait for the bugfixes to be released. I think this is what almost everyone else does.

If you think it's possible to get a fully tested, bug free software product, without exposing it to the real world, I must ask you what your line or work is, because it's not software development :-)

Since we are at it, about 99% of our rtorrent issues relate to 2 specific bugs. Money spent there is money well spent, it will make rtorrent a lot more stable and reliable for everyone to enjoy, whether they're Xirvik users or not, because of course the fixes will make it to the next version (we'll just have them a bit sooner).

Anyway go ahead and keep bashing Xirvik...

End-M-Mick
11-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Anyway go ahead and keep bashing Xirvik.
:boxing:
"Persecution Complex" ^ No-one's bashing Xirvik, in fact i hear they're one of the better seedbox providers around , i was merely suggesting that you stick to tried and tested software rather than experimenting . Nothing ventured nothing gained but at whose expense . Open for discussion.......:argue:

WhatMan
11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
As far as What.CD knows, we've never had any problems with rtorrent 0.8.5 or any other version reporting incorrect stats (reporting stats is one of the most basic things a client does, it's not that easy to get it wrong). rtorrent is in fact one of the most stable clients out there, and there is no reason why sites shouldn't allow it besides general xenophobia.

OlegL
11-05-2009, 07:28 AM
As far as What.CD knows, we've never had any problems with rtorrent 0.8.5 or any other version reporting incorrect stats (reporting stats is one of the most basic things a client does, it's not that easy to get it wrong). rtorrent is in fact one of the most stable clients out there, and there is no reason why sites shouldn't allow it besides general xenophobia.

The BCG tracker still doesn't allow rtorrent 0.8.5.

KS-202
11-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Both BitMe.org and BitMeT say in their allowed BT client list:

rtorrent/libtorrent: [versions 0.8.2/0.12.2, 0.8.4/0.12.4, and 0.8.5/0.12.5] An ncurses client for Linux and FreeBSD. When installing, be sure that the rTorrent and libtorrent versions match. (The last digit of the version numbers will be the same.) If the versions do not match, you will get a banned client error.

(It would appear that when 0.8.5 is used with libtorrent 0.12.4, it's possible for the client to report incorrect stats. BitMe and BMTV fix this by blocking non-matching versions - which is exactly what BCG should do if they're concerned about it not working correctly).

OlegL
11-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Finally, BCG allows rtorrent 0.8.5

End-M-Mick
11-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Finally, BCG allows rtorrent 0.8.5

:yay: woohoo, about time. thanks for the heads-up ^

p.s. had to use this smiley, not seen it before :ghey:
not re-ferring to anything or anyone (...? )