PDA

View Full Version : Press F2 error

peat moss
09-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Had the oddest thing when fixing a friends computer , on boot I get " A: disk error " ? Press F2 to continue or F1 for setup .

Bloody thing doesn't have a floppy drive tho . My fingers are sore from loading F9 defaults in BIOS setup or trying to set device boot options . I fixed by setting "No Halt Errors " . after three days or farting around .

Why would a Bios or mobo give that error ? It has no IDE removable devices just Sata drives installed but one blue IDE slot on Mobo , I'm guessing is floppy ..: frusty:

tesco
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Go to 'standard cmos settings', or equivelent, and for floppy drive choose none... if you haven't already.
Other option is to just put in a floppy drive. :lol: Doesn't have to be visible. Just put it in a hard drive slot. I'm sure you've got one lying around that you can spare.

BTW did it always do this or just start randomly?

peat moss
09-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought about installing a floppy but thought they'd never use it . I changed the HDD as they couldn't boot after they did a Windows Update , think there was a power outage ?

Everything else seems to run great , doubled their memory , fresh install etc. Nice and fast , did notice in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers the Secondary IDE CHANNEL has a yellow explanation mark saying code 12 not enought resources that it can use .

Weird error as all drivers are installed and DVD seems to run fine but wondering if related to boot error ?

tesco
09-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Put a floppy drive in but hide it like I said. :P
It sounds like there could be a problem with the motherboard, or with the floppy/ide controller.