PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb vs Giganews

09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
What is the best in download speed?
Any compare?

topicaltapioca
09-06-2009, 01:16 PM
In the US, 25mbit and 50mbit, no difference, maxed speeds.

In Australia, 20mbit, no difference, ping was quite better to Astraweb.

In Sweden, 100mbit, no difference, maxed connection, pretty much, don't remember ping.

09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
topicaltapioca very nice info thumbsup

Thank you very much

topicaltapioca
09-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I was with Giganews for quite awhile, but switching from one to the other wasn't a big deal for me at all, other than the extra stacks of cash I've saved.

I jumped on the 96 usd/year deal with Astraweb when they had that, am very happy with myself for doing it.

Actually, I was hoping Astraweb's prices would go up, what they offer for the price they give it at, is, amazing. I'd mostly want it to go up to make sure they're able to keep growing and getting better, since I'm already locked in at 96/yr. ;-)

One of the ISPs here in Australia offers both Giganews AND Astraweb for free, which is most certainly badass. (Internode)

Anywho, with Giganews, I did like having the panel with information like, if I was logged in, but it really doesn't do much of anything special.

I'd go with Astraweb, and spend your easy saved money on a block account with someone else as a fill-in if you really have a problem.

Astraweb does say you can cancel your account within 24hrs of getting it.

Spending 96 or 132 (11/month) a year seems much better than spending 305 (first 3 months 50%) or 360 every year after for basically the same thing.

JustDOSE
09-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Astraweb rules, Giganews drools.... hehe :D

ploopsy
09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
astra is great if you get the 11$ special.

Ballz2TheWallz
09-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Astraweb is pretty good, some times they have hiccups but what can you expect for such an amazing deal. I'm able to hit about 10,000KBps downloading from them which is pretty damn good(my connections max is about 12,000KBps or 94mbps)

edit: speeds are US to US on the SSL server.

mesaman
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Giganews is preparing to launch a west coast server location to better compete with Astraweb, Q1 2010. Giganews already has a Hong Kong server location. Currently most Australian Giganews customers are served by their USA east coast server location.

topicaltapioca
09-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Maxed speeds either way, where ever I was, with both, so it came down to price really.

With all the saved money over the course of a year I could buy 10, 200GB block accounts and a happy meal.

Noone has been a perfect company, but recently Astraweb hasn't screwed up for me at all, and I resent that Giganews wants to charge 5 dollars for SSL and the fact they are trying to make 50 connections a selling point to grab the noobs, I'm sure we all understand that.

I would suggest trying Giganews out for 3 months on special, if you really felt like taking a part of it, at 15, it is certainly okay.

Giganews is the known as the best, but the difference between the first and fifth best providers right now is like the difference between infinite and infinite + 1.

c0pyr1ght
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I've used both and had no problems with either. I can max out my connection from both company's US server or their EU server. 35MBps+

SonsOfLiberty
09-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Astraweb rules, Giganews drools.... hehe :D

Easy there, if you haven't noticed Giganews pays for this site (with advertising)....but yes Astraweb has the much better deal and no speed difference, but also Giga deletes alot of articles though too, mostly HBO shows, but it is annoying for Giganews users.

topicaltapioca
09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Giganews being known as #1, they'll be the first to be sent notices to delete the articles.

SonsOfLiberty
09-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I think they do it without being sent notices, that's the scary thing, Astraweb as far as I know, just keeps deleting the Dark Knight posts.

Giganews won't be #1 long if they don't restructure there pricing scheme.

pikwun
09-14-2009, 12:08 PM
top,

I was a lifelong supporter of Giganews up until they started killing some groups and even removing a bulk of uploads that I was posting on usenet. I emailed Astraweb and asked if they would do the same and they replied that only if it was spam, a copyright infringement, or illegal p*rn material--which it wasn't any of it. Some troll was jealous of my samples that i was uploading and reported me and Giganews concurred and removed my posts.

I have been using Astraweb for over 6 months now and love their retention, speed (was only getting half my bandwidth with Giganews for some reason on the EU servers) and SSL is FREE!!! i also got the $96/year deal. Someone said earlier that they are worried their service may plateau which makes sense but i think it may have been the exact opposite. They could have the money brought up front from all the sign ups and invest it in more storage capacity--i think that's their next move.

i love Astraweb.

Good luck.

Skiz
09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
What were you uploading?

Did you contact GN about the removals?

SonsOfLiberty
09-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Skiz, Giganews has been removing articles for awhile now, they remove any HBO show, almost the next day from there servers.

pikwun, if you upload alot, just get a $2 block account, those never expire and uploads don't count as traffic, so if you upload anyting on the fringe, then Astraweb would not kill your account, because Giganews could have disabled your account.

DarkPrime
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
is astraweb down for anyone??

mesaman
09-14-2009, 09:09 PM
The articles that Giganews must remove shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

SonsOfLiberty
09-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Nope, it was really slow for a moment, but no.

unoriginal
09-15-2009, 03:59 AM

Why do you say that? Because most of the shows are available via torrents instead?

mesaman
09-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Newsreaders either repair the HBO shows automatically, or with a cheap block account fill server supplying a few missing pieces, no repair is needed.

SonsOfLiberty
09-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Why do you say that? Because most of the shows are available via torrents instead?

Because this isn't a torrent site, it's a NZB site :dabs: