PDA

View Full Version : Help! Computer freezes with the slightest contact!

Nickthestick91
09-07-2009, 02:03 AM
So here's the problem, if I so much as flick my computer, it either freezes, goes to the BSOD, or completely restarts. I'm pretty sure this isn't very good, and parts are getting damaged with each freeze. Anyone know what can be causing this? Thanks alot in advance.

clocker
09-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Something is loose.
Open up the case and perform a thorough visual inspection.
Check all connectors from the PSU.
Ensure all RAM is fully seated and the heatsink is firmly attached.

And for God's sake...quit "flicking" your computer.

Nickthestick91
09-07-2009, 11:17 PM
^ Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check in a few minutes.

BTW, I never actually "flicked" the computer. I was trying to show that the tiniest bit of contact with any part of the case causes freezing. :D

kooftspc11
09-08-2009, 12:42 AM
from my experience it's usually ram that is not being seated properly

latinakayla
10-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I read this article a long time ago,

Please contact me

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
:noes::noes::noes::noes::noes:

clocker
10-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Well good for you.

Appzalien
10-13-2009, 11:30 PM
I read a trick once where they said to swipe the gold fingers of your memory sticks with a folded over piece of brown paper bag. The paper is rough enough to gently sand the surface without actually removing much metal. If oxidation of the contacts is a problem then this makes it go away, although just plugging and unplugging will clean contacts too.

Snee
10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I read this article a long time ago,
I just wanted to chime in here and say I once read two articles.

clocker
10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
In the same day?

How did you train for that?

dadelor
10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
i dont know if you fixed this issue yet, but could it be possible something on your motherboard is making contact with the metal of your case?

Talkaboutfiles
10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
i dont know if you fixed this issue yet, but could it be possible something on your motherboard is making contact with the metal of your case?

That's exactly what it is bet.

Snee
10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
In the same day?

How did you train for that?

One page at a time, mang. One page at a time.

tesco
10-17-2009, 02:11 PM
There's a million and one things that it could be but I bet we'll never find out what it was.:pinch:

Appzalien
10-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Metal shorting out the motherboard can happen if you drop a screw (like for the back slots) and then just replace it with a new one cause you can't see it or it went somewhere you can't get too. Then later not thinking about the screw, you move the case and it ends up behind the mobo. This can cause a direct short which could certainly act as described.