PDA

View Full Version : What is the advantage of SSL

rimmi2002
09-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Hi I was looking to get a usenet subscription. Some accounts offer SSL and some don't. I was wondering what is the advantage of having SSL?

topicaltapioca
09-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Security.

it encrypts your traffic between your usenet provider and your computer so no nosy ISPs or anyone else will see what you're upto.

It also apparently, "helps you not get shaped".

But really, it's a security thing.

pikwun
09-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Also another go way to explain it is that the only people that know what you are downloading are yourself and your usenet provider (they don't care though and only keep track of how much you download so they can predict how much to lease the next month). Your ISP's will only see that you are downloading A LOT of stuff from your usenet provider but that's it, just that you are using ALL of their bandwidth--they hate that. :D

It is very valuable. The downside is that your provider can also throttle those two SSL ports and limit your bandwidth (if they want too).

Good luck.

sixstorm
09-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Also another go way to explain it is that the only people that know what you are downloading are yourself and your usenet provider (they don't care though and only keep track of how much you download so they can predict how much to lease the next month). Your ISP's will only see that you are downloading A LOT of stuff from your usenet provider but that's it, just that you are using ALL of their bandwidth--they hate that. :D

It is very valuable. The downside is that your provider can also throttle those two SSL ports and limit your bandwidth (if they want too).

Good luck.

I just started using Newsgroups last week and I'm having to hold myself back from using so much bandwidth. I'm afraid that AT&T will give me a call or letter, saying that they are gonna cap my ass. :unsure:

SonsOfLiberty
09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Got AT&T, I'm at the bottom feeder point because I'm so far out in the woods, but haven't got a letter yet, plus mine is Unlimited, they have Unlimited plans for $20 a month.

As said above, SSL keeps you from getting shaped, it also, keeps your ISP's off of you, if they want to be ass's, they will just throttle the SSL port, although Astraweb has 2 different ports.

Astraweb doens't care how much you download it's $11 a month UNLIMITED...

Remember people, people are not getting busted for downloading, they are looking for UPLOADERS....so if you upload alot, grab a seperate block account, they never expire, and uploads don't count as traffic.

if you upload, I would suggest SSL http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-yenc-power-post-aa-upload-using-secure-ssl-server-connections-337101

sixstorm
09-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Got AT&T, I'm at the bottom feeder point because I'm so far out in the woods, but haven't got a letter yet, plus mine is Unlimited, they have Unlimited plans for $20 a month.

As said above, SSL keeps you from getting shaped, it also, keeps your ISP's off of you, if they want to be ass's, they will just throttle the SSL port, although Astraweb has 2 different ports.

Astraweb doens't care how much you download it's $11 a month UNLIMITED...

Remember people, people are not getting busted for downloading, they are looking for UPLOADERS....so if you upload alot, grab a seperate block account, they never expire, and uploads don't count as traffic.

if you upload, I would suggest SSL http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-yenc-power-post-aa-upload-using-secure-ssl-server-connections-337101

I don't seed at all, I know that's how you get "caught". However, I checked my AT&T email account for the first time today (had the account for over a year) and found a warning letter for downloading a movie via BT.

Also, I found that in my area, there is a 80GB/month limit! Ouch . . :pinch:

SonsOfLiberty
09-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Due they charge you after that? Or just cut you off?

You should email them and see if they have the unlimited plan in your area.

sixstorm
09-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Due they charge you after that? Or just cut you off?

You should email them and see if they have the unlimited plan in your area.

Actually nothing happened. I did call AT&T and ask about bandwidth limits. They told me that my account had unlimited usage!

But I'll still stay low. I'd hate to get a call or letter of hate since I've downloaded over 50GB in a week lol.

SonsOfLiberty
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Doesn't really matter if your using Usenet and SSL, they won't have a clue. I mean as long as you don't do it during peak hours or peak usage on their network.

sixstorm
09-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Doesn't really matter if your using Usenet and SSL, they won't have a clue. I mean as long as you don't do it during peak hours or peak usage on their network.

I totally agree, I guess I'm just a little paranoid. :happy:

I may just have to do my downloading overnight and spread things out to keep it on "da low". :shifty:

hdjunky
09-16-2009, 10:55 PM
To me, SSL is just cheap insurance especially if I am using public WiFi access.

winmac
09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't know whether this has anything to with ssl.
I notice a huge difference when leeching using ssl. It is 2 times fast with ssl. :)

Rart
09-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I notice a huge difference when leeching using ssl. It is 2 times fast with ssl. :)

It may just have to do with your ISP throttling your ports, but not the SSL port.

SonsOfLiberty
09-20-2009, 02:44 AM

I guess what's not mentioned, maybe it was, SSL defeats "shaping" in most cases, unless your ISP gets smart (some are, some aren't) and they just shape both of the major Usenet ports (all 3, SSL sometimes has 2), so if you get faster downloads using SSL, just means your ISP is traffic shaping you...

sixstorm
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use the SSL ports if it's available to you. Maybe I'm just too paranoid.

sassan
09-22-2009, 05:11 AM
I thought they knew you were downloading but didn't know what.

ericab
09-22-2009, 05:54 AM
I thought they knew you were downloading but didn't know what.

yes, of course.