PDA

View Full Version : Sharing

murphyleesdad
10-04-2003, 08:37 PM
I have been a member of ALL the P2P file sharing outlets on/off over the past 4 years and I think that this ongoing problem is getting worse. SOON there will be no downloads available due to the paranoid attitude of most members. Over the years I have had anywhere from 2500 at a high to 50 at a low depending on whether I've crashed and burned and lost everything. When in a rebuilding time as I am now, I just cannot believe the number of people who are uploading from me and not sharing. (almost always 99% no results shown)

Pretty sad, people, and I know what all the 'bleeding hearts' out there that will say that I'm just another whiner about not going with the flow but, dammit, the name of the game is P 2 P and if noone is going to share then it will all just collapse one day. :pirate:

james_bond_rulez
10-04-2003, 08:40 PM
no shit,

in the past i was able to download 4 to 1 upload

now it's 1 to 1 or worse.

sometimes i get no downloads at all.

time to head back to irc channels :D

_John_Lennon_
10-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Alot of people have the option turned off to where you cant see their list of files......

Anthony
10-04-2003, 10:25 PM
SOON there will be no downloads available due to the paranoid attitude of most members.

I dont think its paranoia, i get the feeling its just people being greedy, most people want something without giving anything back. Things have definitely changed for the worse over the last few years, four or five years ago if i started a download on napster id normally get a message from whoever i was downloading from about the track, what other songs they would recommend, and that sort of thing. It isnt just a nostalgic lookback either, there genuinely was a sense of community amongst P2P users and that to me was what kept the sharing ethos so strong. In the year ive been using Kazaa i cant remember getting any messages from users or that feeling of being part of "something." It wont be any authority that kills P2P it'll be the users.

DasScoot
10-04-2003, 11:07 PM
I get the impression that the average Kazaa user just wants to download music, and doesn't really think about the fact that they're downloading from other users.

Switeck
10-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by DasScoot@4 October 2003 - 18:07
I get the impression that the average Kazaa user just wants to download music, and doesn't really think about the fact that they're downloading from other users.
Kinda the reply I got back from one:

So what if I don't share?
Come on! It's just an MP3, not like it's a big file or anything.
You blow things way out of proportion.

(Actually, in my case it was a >120 MB anime tv show... and I don't take too lightly to someone tying up MY upload bandwidth for potentially hours on end and giving nothing in return to ANYONE.)

Adster
10-05-2003, 07:51 AM

:huh:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
10-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by murphyleesdad@4 October 2003 - 15:37
Over the years I have had anywhere from 2500 at a high to 50 at a low depending on whether I've crashed and burned and lost everything.  When in a rebuilding time as I am now,
:P Your fault for not backing your files up. :P

rastilin
10-05-2003, 08:49 AM
I sympathize, it happens to everyone.

StevenBrad9016
10-05-2003, 08:58 AM
I agree people are just greedy and now people are telling them that they won't be sued for thousands of dollars like that 12 year old girl if they only download but will if they share files with others so this has scared even more people into turning off the share facility in Kazaa which is disapointing :angry:

Adster
10-05-2003, 09:11 AM
they will not sue a 12 year old girl plus for a start how much she got to give them 2 bucks??

StevenBrad9016
10-05-2003, 09:19 AM
They did sue her but the community donated the money to pay the charge she ended up making a profit as the people donated more than she was being sued for

discreativedan
10-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Adster@5 October 2003 - 09:11
they will not sue a 12 year old girl plus for a start how much she got to give them 2 bucks??
i laughed my ass off when i read that. someone hasn't been keeping up with the news. the riaa doesn't give a shit about anybody. they aren't even putting efficientf effort into suing people either. they've made about 200 lawsuits to people who just had files with keywords like "britney spears" in them but no copyrighted material that they've had to retract.

N£MO
10-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by murphyleesdad@4 October 2003 - 20:37
I have been a member of ALL the P2P file sharing outlets on/off over the past 4 years and I think that this ongoing problem is getting worse. SOON there will be no downloads available due to the paranoid attitude of most members. Over the years I have had anywhere from 2500 at a high to 50 at a low depending on whether I've crashed and burned and lost everything. When in a rebuilding time as I am now, I just cannot believe the number of people who are uploading from me and not sharing. (almost always 99% no results shown)

Pretty sad, people, and I know what all the 'bleeding hearts' out there that will say that I'm just another whiner about not going with the flow but, dammit, the name of the game is P 2 P and if noone is going to share then it will all just collapse one day. :pirate:
Care to name these p2p sharing outlets that you alledge to be a member of?

You seem like another scaremonger to me. <_<

cappella(m)
10-05-2003, 01:08 PM
That&#39;s true.. Many people who download from me don&#39;t have any files at all.. Some people don&#39;t share because they&#39;re afraid from copyright b..astards other people don&#39;t want to loose their bandwith.. Or something like this..but if it really continues so far soon there&#39;ll be no downloads available on kazaa.... shit &#33;&#33; so all you scared f..ckers share files &#33;&#33; :ph34r:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
10-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by cappella(m)@5 October 2003 - 08:08
so all you scared f..ckers share files &#33;&#33; :ph34r:
:P NO&#33; :P

namzuf9
10-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Thats the sad nature of what I like to call the "Kazaa Generation" Its been made to easy for people to just type something in and download it.
A lot of the users don&#39;t understand the fundamentals of P2P filesharing
But P2P will continue and at the moment nothing can stop it.

cosmic doobie
10-05-2003, 01:49 PM
The analogy i&#39;d use is horses for courses :P
Some days no one takes my files but i&#39;ll download lots, other days i have a biq queue of uploads with nothing the other way.
I never bother a lot of times to check the users files, if they want a film or song then i let them have it no questions asked.
I leave Kazaa on 18 hours a day and seldom do i get chance to check whose downloading from me anyway.

ZeV
10-07-2003, 01:23 AM
People arnt sharing... isnt that why kazaa introduced the peer points rating thing? and people don&#39;t want to be forced to share... isnt that why K-lite turned it off?
So i don&#39;t think people should be forced to share files, some of them have really good reasons for not sharing, and instead of blaming them for everything wrong with the world of P2P, why not suggest something that will help fix it?

kamikadze666
10-07-2003, 01:51 AM
What I really don&#39;t like in KaZaa Lite are the options like:
Constant 1000 PL;
Block incoming messages;
Users can&#39;t get a list of your shared files;
and some others.

People use these options without any purpose.

DeadMeat
10-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I think that ppl who share should atleast be given priority somehow only fare I reckon.

murphyleesdad
12-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by N£MO+5 October 2003 - 12:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N£MO &#064; 5 October 2003 - 12:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-murphyleesdad@4 October 2003 - 20:37
I have been a member of ALL the P2P file sharing outlets on/off over the past 4 years and I think that this ongoing problem is getting worse.&nbsp; SOON there will be no downloads available due to the paranoid attitude of most members.&nbsp; Over the years I have had anywhere from 2500 at a high to 50 at a low depending on whether I&#39;ve crashed and burned and lost everything.&nbsp; When in a rebuilding time as I am now, I just cannot believe the number of people who are uploading from me and not sharing.&nbsp; (almost always 99% no results shown)

Pretty sad, people, and I know what all the &#39;bleeding hearts&#39; out there that will say that I&#39;m just another whiner about not going with the flow but, dammit, the name of the game is P 2 P and if noone is going to share then it will all just collapse one day. :pirate:
Care to name these p2p sharing outlets that you alledge to be a member of?

You seem like another scaremonger to me. <_<[/b][/quote]
:) Just had a chance to look at the forums. Haven&#39;t been able to for quite awhile and I am pleased with most of the responses and problems a lot of you are having. I&#39;m just wondering what the point of a lot of these responses are such as &#39;why would someone disbelieve that another file sharer has belonged to any number of p2p programs and why I would be considered a "scaremonger"?&#39;. Some of you should just get a life and quit spending all the time you do submitting the inane responses that you do. These forums are here for airing out problems and expecting rational answers to legitamate problems. I sincerely believe that a lot of the forum members are just wanting to see their names in print and display their inadequate attempt at trying to impress. REALLY, what does your post offer to a legitamate question? In answer to your lame attempt at posting, I have had: Napster, Limewire, Blubster, Morpheus, E-donkey, etc., etc., and for that matter, exactly what is your point for asking?

sam71
12-14-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@4 October 2003 - 20:40
no shit,

in the past i was able to download 4 to 1 upload

now it&#39;s 1 to 1 or worse.

sometimes i get no downloads at all.

time to head back to irc channels :D
perhaps if our connection were 1:1 on downstream/upstream, such as SDSL this would not be a problem???
blame it on IP capping crap on us trying to slow or make it difficult for us to upload files. LAME right?

james_bond_rulez
12-14-2003, 03:21 AM
:lol: woah i can&#39;t remember even my own stuff from OCTOBER&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

i must&#39;ve refered it to something

anyway most of our conections are NOT 1:1 upload/download it&#39;s asymetrical, meaning higher download than upload.

some isps cap the connect to manage its cost, others do little policing on the bandwidth

depends on what you are talking about...

sam71
12-14-2003, 04:33 AM
my line is capable of 7.5mbit/880kbps but i&#39;m capped at 1.5mbit/256 and I must pay 36.95 a month for a year, if I bail out now I must pay penalty fee of 200 bucks. whether i like it or not i&#39;m pwned just like everyone else. It stinks, I swear even having 3mbit/512kbps would make me very please at same price...but hell they want to control everything including our lives and even our babies are not our to dictate, what the hell???
spanking a kid is abuse
so just let them grow up to be be some weirdos, what is the world coming to???
no discipline, no rules, the end of the world?
anyway back on topic,
they suck, i want my bandwidth for a mere price of 19.95 like it was many years ago with dialup... now they just getting more expensive all the time and setting crazy caps that was made for leeching and their excuses of low upload cap is that their is not enough bandwidth to go around. BS&#33;&#33;&#33;
You can fool a sheep, you can fool a dog but you can&#39;t fool me :blink:

ZeroTolerance
12-14-2003, 05:20 AM
This has been posted a million times, im kind of on both sides, let me state my reasons.
one reason why people dont share is because they are on dial up because when i was on dial up people with fast connections took my speed away from me.

One reason why i side with sharing files because you give you shall receive <remember that>

And for the one&#39;s that dont know about sharing files, people have an option to be safe from RIAA and MPPA so they choose to HIDE their files from them but at the same time SHARE with others and thats were all this mix up takes place when people think because when he/she try to look at the uploaders files it says no SEARCH FINISH WITHOUT ANY RESULTS and thats because they are hiding their files from RIAA and MPPA but sharing with USSSSSS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :rolleyes: :rolleyes: