PDA

View Full Version : Isnt It Time We Developed Our Own P2p Network

junkyardking
10-05-2003, 02:04 AM
It just seems to me that kazaa lite is proping up the fastrack network, i know alot of work go's into kazaa lite but wouldnt all this effort be better spent on a open source program which can have all things we want like privacy and partial filesharing, i know it would take effort but the fastrack network has really declined in quality and even the regulars around here dont use it too often.

My 2cents anyway. B)

Cypher
10-05-2003, 02:17 AM
cheers to that idea mate! feel the same way. it would be sweet if we could have an open source project and give our ideas and everything in to contribute.

please please consider this Kazaa Lite Mods.

and thats my 2 cents

serpico
10-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Not a bad idea but I don't know if it would be possible but a good idea

shareshareshare
10-05-2003, 03:41 AM
There are alot of (nonlite) Kazaa users that have quality content to share.

infamousalbo101
10-05-2003, 04:27 AM
it wouldnt be possble it would have been done by now

wormless
10-05-2003, 04:35 AM
like another p2p their should be a report thing where we say if its a fake the wrong song tht wud clear things upabit but it wud also be copying another p2p which i wont name unless u no or i have 2 mention. clue its like a sister to kazza

junkyardking
10-05-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by infamousalbo101@5 October 2003 - 04:27
That doesnt make any sense, open source programs are everywhere bittorent is a good example.

infamousalbo101
10-05-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by junkyardking+5 October 2003 - 05:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (junkyardking @ 5 October 2003 - 05:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-infamousalbo101@5 October 2003 - 04:27
That doesnt make any sense, open source programs are everywhere bittorent is a good example. [/b][/quote]
yea but open sourced p2p progs cant connect to fasttrack

Switeck
10-05-2003, 05:09 AM
Lots of people may want this, but basically nobody (here) knows how to do it... me included.

At best, I can give the occassional good idea and point to examples of what NOT to do. :P

junkyardking
10-05-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by wormless@5 October 2003 - 04:35
like another p2p their should be a report thing where we say if its a fake the wrong song tht wud clear things upabit but it wud also be copying another p2p which i wont name unless u no or i have 2 mention. clue its like a sister to kazza
Well there is shareaza it has what they call ghost files when you delete a file it asks for comments ect and creates a small ghost file that displays the comment ect when someone searches for it.

I do understand the difficulty of starting from scratch, but on here i see more and more people complaining about not finding sources or corrupted files and there is only so much hacking the code can do.

I&#39;ve also seen quite a few plans to copy the fastracknetwork and make the model far better but alot turned to vapourware and others have progressed so slowly that there not getting anywhere.

If sharman networks were to really rework there program it may breath life into it, but there are no signs of that, sharmans are trying to get the RIAA and MPAA onside by promoting there DRM Altnet network business model and would like to kill of fasttrack all together.

I just see it better to be proactive and create somthing new instead of waiting on sharmans to bring the network uptodate which they most likley wont do or discontinue any support for the network.

junkyardking
10-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by infamousalbo101+5 October 2003 - 05:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (infamousalbo101 @ 5 October 2003 - 05:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by junkyardking@5 October 2003 - 05:51
<!--QuoteBegin-infamousalbo101@5 October 2003 - 04:27
That doesnt make any sense, open source programs are everywhere bittorent is a good example.
yea but open sourced p2p progs cant connect to fasttrack [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s not about connecting to the fastracknetwork, it&#39;s about creating a new one which could be based on fastrack.

I dont know the user figures for kazaa lite clients vs KMD but if it was only say 10% based on an example figure of 10,000,000 that would be 1,000,000 , you could even continue support for kazaa lite but put more focus on the open source client and convince users to shift over and even stopping support for kazaa lite once the program was stable enough.

My 2cents anyway :P B)

junkyardking
10-05-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Switeck@5 October 2003 - 05:09
Lots of people may want this, but basically nobody (here) knows how to do it... me included.

At best, I can give the occassional good idea and point to examples of what NOT to do. :P
Of course it up to the programmers.

asmithz
10-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Paul has already said its to much work, and no one wants to take up this project.

imported_Catracho
10-05-2003, 05:34 AM
That&#39;s a great ideat&#33;&#33;. Take Open source of OSes. Redhat and so on they are way better than close source Micro&#036;crap OSes. This would be great because it&#39;ll let many people improve it. I would totaly change to opensource P2P B)

RileyF
10-05-2003, 10:01 AM
i think we don&#39;t have the devs to do it... :ph34r:

asmithz
10-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by RileyF@5 October 2003 - 02:01
i think we don&#39;t have the devs to do it... :ph34r:
Again i will say this has been brote up before. Someone made a post asking for someone to do this and there was no one.

iSE
10-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Well thats put a bullet through that idea&#33; I didnt know bittorent was opensource though. May go check it out&#33; :P

Switeck
10-05-2003, 11:20 PM
The whole fasttrack network is based on the Gnutella network -- and advanced on it by adding supernodes. But the Gnutella network has since added UltraPeers, Alt-locs (uploaders and downloaders report OTHERS who are sharing the 1 file they are all trying to get), partial file sharing (using tiger tree hashes&#33;), and has better firewall/router support than Kazaa.

Gnucleus is an open-source client on the network with practially all the above features in it. Were we to take the latest version of that, then change it slightly so its default values (and min/max values) give better results -- then it&#39;d just be a matter of getting people using it before we&#39;d have a much better network than Fasttrack. As more people understand some/much of its code, then we could update it to keep up with other Gnutella clients and fix whatever bugs remain in it.

Cypher
10-06-2003, 12:18 AM
exactly switeck&#33; could we please get some responses from the developers on the board please??

VB
10-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Nobody is going to spent time developing a new client for the FastTrack network. Main reason is that the network is inferior to other network.

The only reason people still use it is because of the enormous userbase.

Snifer
10-07-2003, 07:18 AM
So you&#39;re waiting the death of kazaa? i think that&#39;s "avoidable"... so you might be waiting forever... What about making a new client which supports current fasttrack protocol and a new protocol? (does emule kademlia comes to your mind?).
Which network do you recommend instead of fasttrack? (which you say is superior).

sharedholder
10-07-2003, 07:28 AM
So you&#39;re waiting the death of kazaa? Who is dying?I see everyday 4 million users online,3 million.....

Snifer
10-07-2003, 06:22 PM
I didn&#39;t say that kazaa is dying, but it looks that paul&#39;s waiting that, because he&#39;s not interested in developing a client based on fasttrack
Originally posted by Paul
Main reason is that the network is inferior to other network.
Anyway, fasttrack IS dying, because most people in north america are afraid of the RIAA, and are not using clients targeted by them. But, as Paul said, it&#39;s still a network with a really big userbase.

sharedholder
10-07-2003, 06:29 PM
http://www.uploadit.org/files/071003-notdying.jpg
7-10-2003

thedirtyd
10-09-2003, 04:25 AM
i was going to make a p2p but the only windows programming language i&#39;m really good at is Liberty BASIC and that&#39;s kinda slow. and i don&#39;t know much about protocols and network stuff. plus i don&#39;t have time cause i&#39;m 16 and i have school and a job to worry about. otherwise yeah i would totally make an open source p2p.

there&#39;s gotta be someone out there that&#39;ll make one though. there has to be.

ilw
10-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Its illegal to create a client that will connect tothe Fasttrack network, the best we could hope for is a p2p network that runs beside klite on its own network (like IMesh does), but without the kazaa source code the integration would be minimal and it would be exactly like running another p2p application along with kazaa. So if you want to have another p2p network run another p2p program, i&#39;d suggest emule.
Oh and I think creating a p2p application would be hard enough without having to bother trying to get it to work with kazaa (lite)

Macster
10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Already started making a new p2p client, possibly a new network as well.

Project Macster (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=72140)

ParanoiA-
11-07-2003, 05:59 PM
I suggest to work on current free networks.

More developers -> more ideas -> better clients and networks

BiLLy_BloggZ
11-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by ilw@9 October 2003 - 09:43
Its illegal to create a client that will connect tothe Fasttrack network, the best we could hope for is a p2p network that runs beside klite on its own network (like IMesh does), but without the kazaa source code the integration would be minimal and it would be exactly like running another p2p application along with kazaa. So if you want to have another p2p network run another p2p program, i&#39;d suggest emule.
Oh and I think creating a p2p application would be hard enough without having to bother trying to get it to work with kazaa (lite)
who gives a shit that making another P2P client for the FastTrack is illegal... why, because Sharmen Networks isnt gonna sue anyone, after all they havent persued any legal action against KaZaA Lite or Grokster, and forgive me if im wrong but wasnt morpheus the program that originally created the FastTrack network, therefore Sharmen are the ones breaking the law.

Barbarossa
11-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BiLLy_BloggZ@7 November 2003 - 19:13
and forgive me if im wrong but wasnt morpheus the program that originally created the FastTrack network, therefore Sharmen are the ones breaking the law.
You are wrong, but I forgive you.. ;)

Kazaa B.V. designed the network and the first Kazaa client, Kazaa Media Desktop; MusicCity bought a licence to distribute a clone of that client as their own, named Morpheus.

Supernatural
11-10-2003, 11:18 AM
I miss Morpheus. :( And AudioGalaxy.

internet.news
11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
It would be better IF SOME OF YOU WHO READ THIS has good connections
to Sharman and could get the official Source Code INOFFICIALLY&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

So we can directly edit source code... If I had the contacts I would do
it not officially but inofficially&#33;

By the way there is an Open Source Project where you can have your own
Server: OpenNap - SlavaNap is the server tool ... But there to few ppl
in the Network ...

The BEST THING WOULD BE to get the source code of Kazaa inofficially...
...and as I heard it was open source in the early beginnings before sharman
bought kazaa from the norwegian student :(

thks.

~nice dreams...

internet.news
11-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Supernatural@10 November 2003 - 12:18
I miss Morpheus. :( And AudioGalaxy.
I miss Audiogalaxy as well... and searched long time for a server like
audiogalaxy to get the njice ag interface on my desktop:

I found this one as a winamp plugin which show my playlist in
ag style. (oddsock)

thks.

~nice dreams...

Barbarossa
11-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by internet.news@12 November 2003 - 15:14
...and as I heard it was open source in the early beginnings before sharman
bought kazaa from the norwegian student :(

kazaa has never been open source, to the best of my knowledge.

tothbenedek
11-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Maybe Im a stupid dreamer, but what about a client using more than one network at the same time. Everybody can select what network(s) to use or not, what file to share to which network...

bogaaa
11-20-2003, 04:34 PM
I agree to, theres my 2 cent

Rappy
11-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by shareshareshare@5 October 2003 - 03:41
There are alot of (nonlite) Kazaa users that have quality content to share.
i think it would be cool but i agree with this a lot of files come form kazaa users

rafi_d
11-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by tothbenedek@20 November 2003 - 18:03
Maybe Im a stupid dreamer, but what about a client using more than one network at the same time. Everybody can select what network(s) to use or not, what file to share to which network...
About a client using multiple networks - see giFT & KCeasy in this post (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=83330)

shoutman
11-25-2003, 06:39 AM
well why dont we do something about this, i suggest to kept this idea alive we get people who can actually contribute, who cares if you cant do much as long as you can put in the idea will be kept alive. I know alot about networking so i can do all that stuff, but i think we should share in creating this. All of us put together shurely we can put something up. i suggest we make a website for this, and we will post are progress and updates and info on there, i think you can get free webpages dot.tk so why dont we make one dedicated to this.
Well thats my 2 cents.

thedirtyd
11-30-2003, 02:47 AM
i think you can get free webpages dot.tk

dot.tk is only domains. but www.clickherefree.com is a great free webhosting search engine. if you do an advanced search it gives you a ton of options.

so what should we call the p2p?? any suggestions? i&#39;m thinking something like "the underground".

iSE
12-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by tothbenedek@20 November 2003 - 15:03
There is such a program, its based on the Gnutella network, both versions 1 and 2, and now includes the ED2K network, its called:

Shareaza (http://www.shareaza.com)

Though in my opinion, its still full of bugs and the queues on the ED2K network are around 500 in length, but it shows promise. K-Lite seems to just be dying and I know Im not alone in looking at other p2p programs for a replacement. Shame, K-Lite had most of what I needed. Why am I changing? Because its not progressing in the ever changing world.

Ariel_001
12-11-2003, 06:35 AM
if kazaa 2.6 blocks out k-lite perhaps we will be a network on our own.
lets call it Lite fastTrack :D