PDA

View Full Version : Every tracker should have a "guest" account

Rart
09-13-2009, 02:34 AM
Why not?

Recently at BCG they instituted a guest account so that potential members could see if they liked the content on the tracker and actually would want to use it, to eliminate possible unused accounts. However, soon after it was removed due to public postings of the guest account user/pw over a bunch of public forums.

I disagree with that decision, I think that every tracker should have a guest account, and that the benefits of having one far outweigh the losses.

First off, it would greatly reduce collecting and trading. The majority of collectors and traders are breeded simply from the fact that they want to join these "l33t" and "rare" trackers because they are a magical cesspool of rare, exclusive, fast, and amazing content that can't be found on any other trackers, failing to realize what the trackers are really for (community, security, or some other random niche). Ridiculously hyped, but almost impossible to get into, people turn to trading to find a way in. If they actually realized the content/peers may not be as good as their everyday 0day tracker, they could potentially not bother seeking it out anymore.

A point made against having guest accounts is obviously security. I call BS. The RIAA/MPAA aren't retarded. It's incredibly easy for any of them to find the tracker url, secret login mechanisms, or even get into the tracker itself through months of asskissing. Heck, even a simple google search, even with a little bit of effort, can easily tell you what any tracker URL is and what any initials stand for. Honestly, could it really be any more obvious what ScT stands for? If the feds couldn't even piece that together, they wouldn't be feds. A guest account wouldn't compromise the security of the users either. A guest account can't post, DL, or do anything else of significance. They can't snatch a torrent and log the IPs of the peers when they can't download anything. So why not? And guest accounts are the most benificial to the small, random, niche sites that value community, security, yadda yadda. With these small userbases, I really doubt the feds would have busting obscure torrent sites on their top priority. Limewire/public sites/LARGE private sites/FTPs are a far more vulnerable and useful target for feds to go after, and I don't think sites should be concerned either way.

Thoughts?

Duckater
09-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Why not invite all authorities there at same time?
It is those sorts of trackers they want to take out more than the little ones with just a few people grabbing stuff as can get a lot more people in one go
That will be why bcg got rid once common knowledge I would say.

So to cut along story short I think it is a dumb ass idea

Rart
09-13-2009, 02:45 AM
And what else will the "authorities" get from using a guest account? It isn't hard to get into BcG, and once they do, they have a lot more information than a guest account could ever provide. That's why I feel like a guest account can't hurt.

megabyteme
09-13-2009, 02:56 AM
I like that you put time, effort, and thought into your post, Rart.

Unfortunately, I disagree with your idea. As nice as it would be to reduce trading and drive away collectors, I would not put a clear door on my house to discourage thieves from breaking in. I will stick to my good old solid wood with the opaque, small window. Privacy is good. Filtering of irresponsible, dangerous people is good. It is the same for trackers as it is for your house.

lysine
09-13-2009, 04:14 AM
I don't agree with guest accounts, because they will never discourage traders because they want to use invites as currency, but I've always thought along these lines:

The RIAA/MPAA aren't retarded. It's incredibly easy for any of them to find the tracker url, secret login mechanisms, or even get into the tracker itself through months of asskissing.

Funkin'
09-13-2009, 10:49 AM
The guest account in my opinion is a good idea since it does give a person a look at the tracker without actually creating account. I wish I could have done this with a few trackers, instead of signing up, finding out that I don't like the site for whatever reason and then either deleting the account or letting it go to die. Which we've all done. You're not going to like every site you signup for.

But, there are some disadvantages to the guest account. Every tracker has at least a few douchebags for members. And like the case with BCG, one of those douches leaked the account details publicly(even after staff mentioned specifically on the home page not to do this). So there's that. Plus there's the disadvantage that has been mentioned already, that any undesirable person can look into your site.

So maybe instead of making a default guest account that just anyone can use, maybe make it to where when you send an invite to a friend of yours there's a link in the email to signup, like always, but also a guest account link so the person can check out the browse page/forums(which would be a link that could only be used once like the signup one).

This may not be the best idea either, but there's gotta be a way to let your trusted friend get a glimpse of the site before actually creating an account without giving the whole world the opportunity to look too.

Bad-Day
09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Why not invite all authorities there at same time?:lol:

sez
09-13-2009, 01:59 PM
A guest account will only work with sites where security is not that much of a priority(take CN or maybe demonoid for example).
Otherwise in places where hard disks get microwaved at the slightest hint of intrusion its an idea thats D.O.A.

Perhaps the best alternative to this would be a video tour,just that its not shot by a cheap ass camera phone.

cinephilia
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Perhaps the best alternative to this would be a video tour,just that its not shot by a cheap ass camera phone.
i never thought about that possibility and i must admit that it's a very good idea :yup:

lisabritpop
09-13-2009, 02:27 PM
sounds interesting,but I dont think it will become a reality.

susiserken
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
They would only be abused like the black cats one was, and also would be posted all over teh interwebz :pinch:

Duckater
09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I will never create a guest account for GTi. If people want to know about the site then they can ask members.
If you have friends on trackers ask them what it is like at the end of the day the collectors and traders etc will not give a dam what a tracker looks/is like to improve their e-penis

Felixer
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
So this means you also give guest accounts to FBIs??

Some people just forget most content in torrent sites are illegal.. and want to attract public attention, really ridiculous...

Bad-Day
09-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Is it possible to get, a guest account whit a reasonable buffer on a major leet 0-day tracker please?
( needs to be leet so i can get chicks )
To whom should i forwarded this message ?

Duckater
09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Is it possible to get, a guest account whit a reasonable buffer on a major leet 0-day tracker please?
( needs to be leet so i can get chicks )
To whom should i forwarded this message ?

Swepsycho :lol:

Cokeman
09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
If used correctly i would be very good to potencial new users and for trackrs itself.
But unfortunetly there are alot of morons and dumb ass childs coming everyday to bittorrent world that made this situation unrealistic.

Duckater
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
But most people that want view trackers from here are after the 1337 trackers and they not really after members other than thru invites to trusted members if they want any at all :)

Bad-Day
09-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Stoi tried, but, the action itself, its like giving money to an homeless, instead off giving him a free dinner.

Respect Stoi.

Thread Closed ?

jasperr
09-14-2009, 01:15 AM
everybody always wants something for nothing.... this is a stupid thread!

Funkin'
09-14-2009, 07:07 AM
A guest account will only work with sites where security is not that much of a priority(take CN or maybe demonoid for example).

:lol: Guess I'm the only one that caught that.

And the video tour is a good idea too. But content is the most important aspect of any tracker. So I would think the video would have to be constantly updated to show the amount and type of content that is being offered.

aen
09-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I tell you what. Sometimes it's not important that you wanna to become a part of any tracker community. It's much imortant then community needs you.
'guest' account is a typical shit. Your inviter is your friend (in the ideal situation) so your friend should know you (your interests, etc). If you get your invites from forum/trade etc ofc you wanna something like 'guest acc' btw i respect trackers privacy. So If You ask me about 'guest acc' in any tracker which I'm on, i tell you who are you and there you should go ;)

Rart
09-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Stoi tried, but, the action itself, its like giving money to an homeless, instead off giving him a free dinner.

Respect Stoi.

Thread Closed ?

Thanks for your incredible input :rolleyes: If you haven't noticed, I'm trying to get feedback and get a discussion going. I "respect" stoi and his decisions, BCG is personally one of my favorite trackers and I think the staff their is great. I'm just providing my thoughts on the topic. If you think my ideas are completely wrong, it would help to back up your claims.

I tell you what. Sometimes it's not important that you wanna to become a part of any tracker community. It's much imortant then community needs you.
'guest' account is a typical shit. Your inviter is your friend (in the ideal situation) so your friend should know you (your interests, etc). If you get your invites from forum/trade etc ofc you wanna something like 'guest acc' btw i respect trackers privacy. So If You ask me about 'guest acc' in any tracker which I'm on, i tell you who are you and there you should go ;)

Sorry it's really hard to follow your post. But if I understood you correctly, I'm not saying that invitees from trades/invite forums want guest accounts to see whats on the tracker, I think that if those types of people actually "saw" the content on that tracker instead of just following the hype and mystery surrounding levels, they'd realize that the content wasn't as impressive as they thought (or the opposite, that the "community" is quite impressive and is what they're really looking for). This could potentially reduce the traders/invite forum people who are frantically looking for "secret" or "l33t" trackers.

I don't quite understand how you're factoring "me" into this equation either. I have no intention of wanting to join these "secret" trackers and I could really care less about their communities. FST is good enough for me. I just feel like having guest accounts could reduce collectors, traders, inactive accounts, and more for any tracker. For the reasons I listed I don't think it really compromises security at all, and I think "privacy" fits into the same realm as security, the feds aren't stupid and if they really wanted to go after your tracker, a secret login and url you can find on google isn't going to stop them.

Bad-Day
09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
@Rart about the guest accs...

Who, would hand out those guest accounts ? If not the staff itself ?
But, that would not happen, simple because, most off them put, on their irc topics, " no invite requestion / or talking " something like this.

If they're not even available to that possibility, ( talk to a possible member ) why would they be, to the guest account?

The guest account, could work on trackers, who have open signups, i donīt doubt, that it would, ease some work, whit all de disabling, and deleting, etc... but on well established trackers, something like this just doesn't make sense. ( dunno if you were mentioning the guest account for this kind off trackers , i guess, that yes)

For example: Bcg, whit all due respect, what the f*** do you expect, when you ask for, or receive out off the blue, one invite to it ?

I think any normal rational, living creature, would expect to see a place filled whit games, right?

So, this is why i never understood why stoi made it... ( whit all due respect )
(imo that those who just go there, and never come back, went only for the leetness off it, " i have an acc on bcg, im gonna take a pic and frame it. )
( guest account, would never solve anything, i think. )

Anyway...
I believe, the reviews, that flood, all those invite giveaway forums, are more than enough, for one to imagine, what would be like to be member.

50% off the new users, wonīt even care to use the forums, and 80% will never go to the irc, so, again, the review is enough.

PS: can i join fst ? I heard it has one off the best communities out there, and theres naked pics and all. thanks for the opportunity.

Rart
09-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I guess on something like BCG it wouldn't be too necessary. That's a good point. It is for, well, games :lol:.

But for sites like PTN, bitme, ftn, ftwr, fsc or any other tracker that has weird content (like bitme) or is "community" based (like FSC), not all people really want to join the community. They just go "zomg its rare must be good cause its lvl 10 in wtaw". If they actually looked at a guest account and see that it's serves a completely different purpose (doesn't necessarily mean its bad) than say TL or SCT, they may change their mind instead of trying to trade to get it, or collecting it than leaving it mostly inactive.

As for your other point, guest accounts could be public (or just put on the homepage of the site). Members could just tell potential invitees the details (or they might be leaked out, but as I said before I don't really think that'll compromise the tracker).

As to your "PS", whether its mocking or not, I'd much rather post at FST than in a tracker forum. I just like it better. It's more open, anyone can post in response to me, and you don't have to worry about being banned by anyone, so theres no asskissing. Just straight, to the point voicing of your deepest, darkest opinions ;)

Tokeman
09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I see both sides. I am one of the people who invited some one to BCG, and the account was logged into a few times, but eventually pruned due to inactivity. Could a guest account have saved me from inviting this person? Maybe. But on the same token, they should have known it was all games, and knowing that, they should have used it once they got it.

I dunno, word of mouth and screen shots should be enough of a 'demo' of a tracker, more feasable then a guest account.

Bad-Day
09-14-2009, 09:37 PM
@Rart

The numbers involving those places, in terms off new members per-day, month, are so little, that it doesn't justify.
( i.e the staff can handle, the manual deletion, or dis activation, easily.)

Remember this: How many minutes passed, before some fu*** went here and leaked the info about bcg guest account.

ps: No, not at all, i like to post here, there, and everywhere :D

Its just a tip, for the lurkers, wishing the guest account, become real.

ps: Iīm still afraid off idol, he already warned me once, even cats have 7 lives, i only have 2 left out off 3.

Gezzzz

Kelm
09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree that guest accounts are a great feature, but the tracker admins have a right to not allow such a feature if they think it compromises the security of their site.

Cokeman
09-15-2009, 12:21 AM
The only way this could work would be after every guest account got used for a time limit, the password would have to change.

So next time a user has a friend who would like to join/see how the tracker is, staff would give new password.

Thats the only way this works withou getting abused...

sez
09-15-2009, 04:16 AM
/me sees destination stupid on the horizon.Waits for page 4?

ovisan
09-15-2009, 06:52 AM
If we'd only invite friends as we supposed to, such a thing wont be needed.

Feeling
09-15-2009, 07:02 AM
A guest account is the stupidest idea I've ever heard of.

Skiz
09-15-2009, 07:06 AM

I'll second that.

What's the point of having a private tracker when every swingin dick can log in through a "guest" account? :mellow:

eram
09-15-2009, 09:59 AM
i think you should inform yourself about what the tracker is all about before you put energy into geting an invite. i mean bcg is is gaming tracker so thats what you can expect. there are reviews about most of the trackers on fst so itīs not that you are all surprised when you join one. if you donīt know what a tracker has to offer you shouldnīt join it . only collectors and level freaks do .

Duckater
09-15-2009, 03:20 PM
i think you should inform yourself about what the tracker is all about before you put energy into geting an invite. i mean bcg is is gaming tracker so thats what you can expect. there are reviews about most of the trackers on fst so itīs not that you are all surprised when you join one. if you donīt know what a tracker has to offer you shouldnīt join it . only collectors and level freaks do .

You missed out traders

jasperr
09-15-2009, 04:17 PM

i'm right behind ya on this one feeling, some people just aren't happy with what they have... they always want more! :frusty:

eram
09-15-2009, 04:18 PM

You missed out traders

true

jasperr
09-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks for your incredible input :rolleyes: If you haven't noticed, I'm trying to get feedback and get a discussion going. I "respect" stoi and his decisions, BCG is personally one of my favorite trackers and I think the staff their is great. I'm just providing my thoughts on the topic. If you think my ideas are completely wrong, it would help to back up your claims.

one aspect is that of this flawed inquiry is that, this would not satisfy any traders/collectors in anyway. the idea of trading is to use trackers as money more or less. how would this, a guest account solve anything? collectors just grab what they can when they can, don't matter if they need or want it.. so again how would address this? and as feeling pointed out it wouldn't be a private tracker if they did this.. now would it? and for many other people who don't quite fit into either of them categories.. they look at that WIAW thread and they are lost... lol

we really are not in the business of giving tours! for better or worse and whether we like it or not, there is enough info, SSs and other bits and pieces out ther for a user to make a "EDUCATED DECISION" on whether or not a specific tracker is for them.. PERIOD!

so, as was said previously ..... this thread is stupid indeed

Benjamin
09-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

sez
09-15-2009, 06:12 PM

i'm right behind ya on this one feeling, some people just aren't happy with what they have... they always want more! :frusty:

wtf does your statement have anything to do with what feeling said let alone the thread?

one aspect is that of this flawed inquiry is that, this would not satisfy any traders/collectors in anyway. the idea of trading is to use trackers as money more or less. how would this, a guest account solve anything? collectors just grab what they can when they can, don't matter if they need or want it.. so again how would address this? and as feeling pointed out it wouldn't be a private tracker if they did this.. now would it? and for many other people who don't quite fit into either of them categories.. they look at that WIAW thread and they are lost... lol

we really are not in the business of giving tours! for better or worse and whether we like it or not, there is enough info, SSs and other bits and pieces out ther for a user to make a "EDUCATED DECISION" on whether or not a specific tracker is for them.. PERIOD!

so, as was said previously ..... this thread is stupid indeed

wow :rolleyes: how tha f&*k does this:

translate to this:

and as feeling pointed out it wouldn't be a private tracker if they did this.. now would it?.
Oh I think I know how this one goes,youse trying to kiss some ass now aint ya :lol:

Keep keeping up,you've chosen your target ass extremely well,he owns a yacht you know and has friends in palm beach ;).He'll even take you fishing in space.You can have sleep overs too and swap your pink boxers when you go to bed.You can be best buddies buddy :D....I know you'd love that :) and am not suggesting that you are a faggot in any way just that you are being unfair to rart for no reason other than being feeling's fanboi(objective criticism?ever heard of that?)

Bad-Day
09-15-2009, 06:26 PM
@sez :yikes::glag::glag:

Rart
09-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Thank you sez. A little harsh but gets the point across ;)

I'm not trying to "get what I can't have". I already have a BcG account, I'm thinking its a good way to reduce traders/collectors. Even if I wanted to "get what I can't have", that doesn't make any sense at all. The point of a guest account is that you can't DL, post in the forums, ect. How is that in any way going to help you "get what you can't have"?:rolleyes: I think that it wouldn't affect security, and it could be a good addition. I may be right or wrong, thats what this thread is for.

As to the point of reviews, almost half the reviews seem to have outdated stats, broken pics, or more. And honestly, how are you supposed to tell everything about the tracker from 1 browse page or 1 forum SS? If the browse page SS is taken during the night, there may be less peers and thus skew opinions (or vice versa). And if the forums SS has millions of threads and posts in each section, but they're all "Rate that ass" or "Whats the last movie you watched" posts, how can you tell whether the community is really what you want?

So have a guest account. It doesn't have to be completely public. Maybe Anyone who has posession of invites can create a temporary guest account that lasts for an hour. To allow potential invitees to browse the site. Afterwards it dies.

I do realize that perhaps my initial suggestions may have been too public, but what about something like creating a temporary guest account? Or other suggestions?

Duckater
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I would sooner have members invite some one in and then if they not like the place have them pm a staff member and have the account deleted and then the person who invited you have the invite given back.
Now I know other tracker staff/owners will more than likely disagree with me but that is just my opinion on a way for people to see if a site is some where they wish to be member of.
But to be fair the place where I would operate that a lot of the people who are invited come for the mma content and chat and know what to expect on that side of things

Bad-Day
09-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Cmon aren't we all guests, in the tracker ?

Duckater
09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Cmon aren't we all guests, in the tracker ?

Not really imho it is the members that make a tracker and can go to another level and say the real owners are the donators of them as they make sure the trackers keep running.

Bad-Day
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
@duckater, in a fight in wich, youre completely right, you will never win.

Proof off that, where the many stupid bans at hdbits, or waffles, there was a mistake on their side, still, they didn'tīt admit it.
i.e in the end, youre just a guest.
Ps: donīt try to proof it ;)

Bad-Day
09-16-2009, 10:29 AM
d-post sorry.

Duckater
09-16-2009, 10:42 AM
In that case the owners in most cases are guests too.
I will let you try and disprove that one :)

Duckater
09-16-2009, 10:42 AM
In that case the owners in most cases are guests too.
I will let you try and disprove that one :)

Duckater
09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
In that case no one on most sites really own them :)

Bad-Day
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
The staff.

And friends ( vips ) who run other trackers.

Thatīs why they're called vips.

double post day ftw!!!!!!

KushBlow
09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Even a temp guest account would be exposing too much. Some trackers thrive on security and would NEVER do this. Ever.

Others like bcg yeah why not it's pretty big, I doubt the guest account would do anything. If you plan on being active or vice versa, a guest account will not change anything.

Duckater
09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
We will all have our own opinions on who owns the tracker, but its not the owning of a tracker that is important its the members that really make it, wether they be VIP or just a plain member.
The rules and features not to mention the content, speed and presof the tracker will be a big factor in what the member base is like and of course that is determined by the owners and staff.