PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent Question

sake
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Hello guys! I decided to ask all of you. I thought that this is a better idea than contacting my ISP. I am sure that you are more into torrenting than they are :P

So ... i have one problem --> when i seed several torrents, big torrents (50,60,80,GB) for a while with a very good speed (several MB/sec) my machine just stops working (start thinking, blinking ... you understood me :) ) and everything dies - browsing, seeding, everything contected with the torrents. I have to stop the torrents, then quit the uTorrent program and then after several seconds (30-60 sec.) everything starts again. I have a router but i am sure that the problem is not there, because without the router the situation is just the same. I am sure that the problem is not in the ISP.

Any suggestions? :ermm:

The Wanderer
09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Try µTorrent 2.0 beta (latest build 16515). You can download it from µT forums.

sake
09-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Try µTorrent 2.0 beta (latest build 16515). You can download it from µT forums.

I tried it. Uneffective.

I returned back to 1.8.4 ;)

smcewa11
09-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Try changing the uTorrent cache settings and make sure that your HD can cope with the speeds. Turn off any firewall as well. It sounds like the cache overflow that seedbox users hate.

I would test the upload speed to find the point where everything stops (and then post it here).

sake
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah ... you are right. The catche settings but i don`t undestand anything there. Can you help me?

My HDD supports 7200rpm. It`s a good HDD (Seagate) and it`s new. So ... it`s ready to be tested :)

smcewa11
09-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Tricky to give good settings without knowing your max upload speed and computer memory. Try these as they work well on my seedbox.

Global connections: 200
No of peers per torrent: 100
No of upload slots per torrent: 50

Override cache size: 1gb (if you have 2gb or more memory otherwise try 128mb to 512mb)
Untick the 'reduce memory usage' box

I go with all the advanced cache settings boxes ticked except the 'increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing'

The Global connections setting is a good way to test for a crap modem or router. If you work fine with 50 connections but speeds die with over 200 connections then chances are you are using a crap modem or router from your ISP.

new_member
09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
may be
net.max_halfopen 10-100?

sake
09-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Thank you very much for your help. The problem was in the "Maximum Upload Rate". People told me that i should reduce it. So, now i don`t have any problems ... i hope i won`t have in the future too.

Duckater
09-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I always set me upload at about 75% of it max when downloading and then set it back to 100% when nothing downloading as then it creates a faster speed when downloading and then when seeding get full benefits of your upload speed :)

sake
09-20-2009, 05:43 PM
I always set me upload at about 75% of it max when downloading and then set it back to 100% when nothing downloading as then it creates a faster speed when downloading and then when seeding get full benefits of your upload speed :)

Yeah, i understood that the uTorrent program is not able to work with fast speeds (3-4MB/sec) and that`s why you have to use some limitation. I think it`s true because now i don`t have these problems, but i have to admit that this is strange.

Duckater
09-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Its not utorrent m8 its the fact that the upload speed can throttle the down load speed and that is not limited to utorrent it all to do with your band width :)

Cabalo
09-21-2009, 01:05 AM
first of all, which OS are you using?
second, how many simultaneous half open connections do you have it allowed in its stack?
third, are you sure your router deals well with so many open connections? does it crash time to time (even if once every 2 weeks) and you have to restart it ? what's the model or which chipset does it run on ?

sake
09-21-2009, 08:44 AM
first of all, which OS are you using?
second, how many simultaneous half open connections do you have it allowed in its stack?
third, are you sure your router deals well with so many open connections? does it crash time to time (even if once every 2 weeks) and you have to restart it ? what's the model or which chipset does it run on ?

1.WinXP Pro x86 SP3
2.I don`t know. I read somewhere about them but i didn`t undestand anything and i decided not to deal with them.
3.Linksys WRT 320N - i don`t have any problems so far.

Cabalo
09-22-2009, 04:04 AM
go to www.lvllord.de and download the patcher.
then change the limit for something like 150 should do just fine.
about your router, it doesn't really crash, nor does it have DNS issues time to time, like, not finding any site you want to, and you have to restart it ?

sake
09-22-2009, 08:06 AM
No, never crashes, no problems at all for the moment with the router.

cap87
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Do you ever had any problems with your ISP before this?

It could be some sort of Traffic Shaping. Try to encrypt your data in utorrent - options - preferences - bittorrent - encryption and set it to forced. It may work. ;)

Also, try to test those speeds in FTP or something and see if happens the same thing.

sake
09-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Do you ever had any problems with your ISP before this?

It could be some sort of Traffic Shaping. Try to encrypt your data in utorrent - options - preferences - bittorrent - encryption and set it to forced. It may work. ;)

Also, try to test those speeds in FTP or something and see if happens the same thing.

No ... i have been using this ISP for 3 weeks already. Only for 3 weeks.

Guys .. for the moment i don`t have any problems when i limit the upload rate. So ... this will be. Thank you for the support. If something changes i`ll tell you here.