PDA

View Full Version : Another Networking Question

footballmad
10-05-2003, 05:01 PM
I have 4 pc's at home and wanted to link them together and share a broadband connection (with a router).

What I wanted to know is would this router (http://www.stegpc.ch/prodspics/zyxel/pics_pdfs/P324_V1.0_Datasheet.pdf) be okay to do this?

I have read about it and think it would be okay but cannot see how to connect my modem to it. I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.

The os's are xp and win2000 server.

Thanks alot.

footballmad
10-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Bump

Can anyone please help? :(

_John_Lennon_
10-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by footballmad@5 October 2003 - 16:07
Bump

Can anyone please help? :(
it looks like a fine router but I havnt heard of it.

When people ask me about routers, I usually suggest they go with the linksys, or the net gear. Both companies are popular with a great rep.

Also, if you are planning to want to print from multiple printers, I would suggest looking for one with a parallel port.

sparsely
10-05-2003, 09:34 PM
If the modem only has a USB connection it's not gonna work. There needs to be an ethernet connection to the router.

footballmad
10-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Thanks.

Any idea about how to use it with my modem??

_John_Lennon_
10-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by footballmad@5 October 2003 - 16:34
Thanks.

Any idea about how to use it with my modem??
Yes, easy.

Plug ethernet line coming from the modem into the router.

Plug computers into the router.

done.

Virtualbody1234
10-05-2003, 10:06 PM
@_John_Lennon_

He said his modem is not ethernet. It's USB.

I don't think there are any adaptors that do that. I think you need a modem with ethernet connection.

footballmad
10-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@6 October 2003 - 00:06
@_John_Lennon_

He said his modem is not ethernet. It's USB.

I don't think there are any adaptors that do that. I think you need a modem with ethernet connection.
Okay so I need a new modem.

If so then can you suggest any modem/routers (that are "true routers) that would do the job.

Thanks alot.

sparsely
10-06-2003, 04:29 AM
my toshiba cable modem has both USB and ethernet capability, which is nice...because before I had a router I could still connect with two machines.
One used the USB the other the RJ45.
D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, even Microsoft routers are all good for home use.

toddiscool
10-06-2003, 04:35 AM
For modem\routers (all in one) there is a few options. Motorolla SB 5100, Orion makes a wireless one. Among a few others that are out there. those are cable modems though, the speedtouch is DSl is it not. So if you are using DSl i dunno. The thing that you will have to check is with your ISP to see what modems they provision, or if you rent/got from them you should be able to swao for an ethernet. They want you using ethernet. Tech support for usb is a pain in the ass.

lynx
10-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Look at this thread :http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=71768

It is exactly the same question really.

footballmad
10-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Yeah I saw this but I didn't think it was the same as I needed info on the USB thing.

Anyway I bought something different and will install it later.

Thanks for everybody's help. B)

Neo 721
10-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Using USB for networking is generaly not a good idea.

footballmad
10-06-2003, 08:30 PM
As the modem I had was just "hired" from my isp, I thought that I might as well buy a modem/router combo.

I installed everything and as you can see it's working.It wasn't complicated to set up, but I think it will need fine tuning because when I surfed the net earlier I had pop-ups (after disabling popupcop to test it).
Can anyone recommend what I should configure to stop this??????

I paid 200chf or about £90 for this modem/router. (http://www.devolo.de/produkte/adsl/mladslmodemrouter/index.php)

Let me know it you think that it's a good product for the price.
(Sorry the site is in German but there isn't any other language yet)