PDA

View Full Version : So where does my life go from here?

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
well what can i say. i f'ed up. i just lost my what.cd account of 2 years, and it was my life. i cant tell you how many endless hours i spent reading album reviews, scouring the collages and forums for that perfect track. i boasted to all my music loving friends about my enormous collection and how i could get anything in just a few clicks. i bought albums just upload them for the request bounties. ahh...those dreamy nights, me and what laying there together, tired from running through the fields all day together.

But the love affiar ended as all good things do. i got greedy and tried to trade invites for an invite to bitme and got caught.i came back to my computer to find my account logged out and the big red letters directing me to the irc. i joined and tried to be as honest with them as i could. i told them exactly what i did and where and why. but they said they dont trust me anymore and showed me the door. now im just sitting here dumbstruck as to what just happened. to be perfectly honest i didnt realize it was so frowned upon but ignorance isnt an excuse.

so now what. i feel so naked and empty, like my girlfriend just dumped me. has anyone had any experiences with the staff there? do they ever forgive and forget? or should we start seeing other people.

Squizzle
10-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Hahahahahahahahah.

Il_Professore
10-01-2009, 09:56 AM
i'm really really sorry for you,this is a bad day...

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
yeah it is. i had to get high after that irc conversation ended. i felt like i lost a family member. so is that basically it though? im done there? like you cant go back in a year or so and try and get an account again?

Il_Professore
10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
i wish i was a What.cd staff and change this fuckin situation,but damn on you trading is bad you know that...

/me hoping for a What.cd sweetheart staff to help you.

TP635
10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
A 3 years account here and a 2 year account in What, and you claimed not to know that trading your invite will result in this. Fantastic.

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
i was a member of oink way back in the day and it seemed to be more accepted like 3 or 4 years ago. i never saw any big rules back then about sharing invites. im not saying i didnt know it was wrong but i didnt think it was that big of a deal to get a banning. im not making excuses either way. i made a mistake and paid the consequences. it just sucks cause that place was paradise for me.

Disme
10-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Get a real life, it's just a tracker ... :rolleyes:

Squizzle
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
well what can i say. i f'ed up. i just lost my girlfriend of 2 years, and she was my life. i cant tell you how many endless hours we spent walking in the park, scouring the shops and malls for that perfect baby crib. i boasted to all my sex crazed friends about her enormous boobs and how i could get laid in just a few ticks.

ahh...those dreamy nights, me and her laying there together, tired from running through the fields all day together.

But the love affiar ended as all good things do. i got greedy and tried to shag her sister for the lulz and got caught.i came back to our apartment to find myself locked out and the big red letters directing me to her friends house. i went and tried to be as honest with them as i could. i told them exactly what i did and where and why. but they said they dont trust me anymore and showed me the door. now im just sitting here dumbstruck as to what just happened. to be perfectly honest i didnt realize that fucking sisters was so frowned upon but ignorance isnt an excuse.

so now what. i feel so naked and empty, like my girlfriend just dumped me. has anyone had any experiences with womens? do they ever forgive and forget? or should we start seeing other people.

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
well what can i say. i f'ed up. i just lost my girlfriend of 2 years, and she was my life. i cant tell you how many endless hours we spent walking in the park, scouring the shops and malls for that perfect baby crib. i boasted to all my sex crazed friends about her enormous boobs and how i could get laid in just a few ticks.

ahh...those dreamy nights, me and her laying there together, tired from running through the fields all day together.

But the love affiar ended as all good things do. i got greedy and tried to shag her sister for the lulz and got caught.i came back to our apartment to find myself locked out and the big red letters directing me to her friends house. i went and tried to be as honest with them as i could. i told them exactly what i did and where and why. but they said they dont trust me anymore and showed me the door. now im just sitting here dumbstruck as to what just happened. to be perfectly honest i didnt realize that fucking sisters was so frowned upon but ignorance isnt an excuse.

so now what. i feel so naked and empty, like my girlfriend just dumped me. has anyone had any experiences with womens? do they ever forgive and forget? or should we start seeing other people.

i see your point

sez
10-01-2009, 10:24 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mctsGV1BL._SL500_.jpg

Look at this photograph
Everytime I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red
And what the hell is on Joey's head
And this is where I grew up
I think the present owner fixed it up
I never knew we'd ever went without
The second floor is hard for sneaking out
And this is where I went to school
Most of the time had better things to do
Criminal record says I broke in twice
I must have done it half a dozen times
I wonder if it's too late
Should i go back and try to graduate
Life's better now than it was back then
If I was them I wouldn't let me in
Oh, oh, oh
Oh, god, I
Every memory of looking out the back door
I had the photo album spread out on my bedroom floor
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye.
Every memory of walking out the front door
I found the photo of the friend that I was looking for
Goodbye, goodbye.
Remember the old arcade
Blew every dollar that we ever made
The cops hated us hangin' out
They say somebody went and burned it down
We used to listen to the radio
And sing along with every song we know
We said someday we'd find out how it feels
To sing to more than just the steering wheel
Kim's the first girl I kissed
I was so nervous that I nearly missed
She's had a couple of kids since then
I haven't seen her since god knows when
Oh, oh, oh
Oh, god, I
Goodbye, goodbye.
Goodbye, goodbye.
I miss that town
I miss the faces
You can't erase
You can't replace it
I miss it now
I can't believe it
So hard to stay
Too hard to leave it
If I could I relive those days
I know the one thing that would never change
Goodbye, goodbye.
Goodbye, goodbye.
Look at this photograph
Everytime I do it makes me laugh
Everytime I do it makes me...
:(
If I were you though i'd make a TV worthy misery video of myself and post it on youtube before making this thread,that way it would be easier for the holier than thous to ignore all else and maybe have fun for once.Trust me,at the very least its therapeutic,plus it may lead to good things depending on how miserable you'll appear on the video ;).

Yoann64
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Get a real life, it's just a tracker ... :rolleyes:
You can read some books (Bitme), it seems that you love that.
As Disme said, you lose a tracker ...i hope it's not really all your life !

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
the sad part is i never got the bitme invite. haha

megabyteme
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Love the retelling, Squizzle!

OP, you seem like a good guy who enjoyed the site. Looks like your account here is from 2006 and you have only made 39 posts. Wow! I don't know how often you stopped by, but from what I've heard, things were different when you started here.

Anyway, so you know...trading is BAD. Hopefully, it can be worked out. Sorry I'm not in a position to help.

Good luck!

soulreaper
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM
well what can i say. i f'ed up. i just lost my what.cd account of 2 years, and it was my life. i cant tell you how many endless hours i spent reading album reviews, scouring the collages and forums for that perfect track. i boasted to all my music loving friends about my enormous collection and how i could get anything in just a few clicks. i bought albums just upload them for the request bounties. ahh...those dreamy nights, me and what laying there together, tired from running through the fields all day together.

But the love affiar ended as all good things do. i got greedy and tried to trade invites for an invite to bitme and got caught.i came back to my computer to find my account logged out and the big red letters directing me to the irc. i joined and tried to be as honest with them as i could. i told them exactly what i did and where and why. but they said they dont trust me anymore and showed me the door. now im just sitting here dumbstruck as to what just happened. to be perfectly honest i didnt realize it was so frowned upon but ignorance isnt an excuse.

so now what. i feel so naked and empty, like my girlfriend just dumped me. has anyone had any experiences with the staff there? do they ever forgive and forget? or should we start seeing other people.

Hmm seems like you got addicted to what.cd ,spending countless hours reading their forums,torrenting etc. I feel for you coz you dont seem like the typical trader who would trade just for the fun of it plus you wouldn't really be attached to the site if you were one.

Apart from spending all that time in the forums if only you had read the rules a couple of times seriously then you may have avoided this serious error ?
Frankly,I may have given you a second chance looking at your contribution to the site if i was a staffer coz you seem genuine in your effort to redeem yourself but I'm not one and I dont get to make that call.

Don't lose heart, try getting into waffles and I'm sure some of that emptiness you feel would go away,great site that. Goodluck:)

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 11:33 AM
i had just bought 10 albums i was going to upload for requests this weekend. lol oh well

yeah i get it. i realize trading is very bad now. ill figure something out.

Funkin'
10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
There's still Waffles, Demonoid(when it comes back), Torrents.ru, plus countless warez forums/blogs and Soulseek. So don't kill yourself just yet. What is great, but they're not the only game in town. So get over it...

And you're right, Oink did allow the trading of their invites(even mentioned this in their Faq). But you should have known that What is dead-set against that type of behavior. You should have read their rules first.

cinephilia
10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
i had just bought 10 albums i was going to upload for requests this weekend. lol oh well

you didn't realised it was bad for ethical reasons but because you have to face some embarassing consequences.

DouglasQuaid
10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Just change your IP and get a new invite, what.cd is the easiest 'popular' tracker to get an invite to...
Also how did they find out? Most likely the guy you were trading w/ was staff or they ratted you out. (A bitme invite is worth 3x a what.cd invite)

PlayeR
10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
you are kidding right?

its just a tracker. you can always find another replacement.

you can still live w/o it..its not food or air.

KushBlow
10-01-2009, 12:14 PM
"Girlfriend"

http://media.laptoplogic.com/data/news/images/2390/dr.evil.magma.jpg

Like losing a "girlfriend".

http://media.laptoplogic.com/data/news/images/2390/dr.evil.magma.jpg

IdolEyes787
10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Just change your IP and get a new invite, what.cd is the easiest 'popular' tracker to get an invite to...
Also how did they find out? Most likely the guy you were trading w/ was staff or they ratted you out. (A bitme invite is worth 3x a what.cd invite)

Going through life not realizing the difference between right and wrong is far worse than losing a tracker.
And as to "worth", not if you like music:ermm:

you are kidding right?

Olfactory overload.

Hey I had an account at bitme.org but havent used it in sometime. tried logging in and it was disabled. but im back in school and i would love to use this site again. does anyone have an invite? i had a good ratio and i can trade what.cd invite
this is great. you didn't care for your acc on one tracker, you are breaking the rules on second and trying to get back to the first one. how nice from you.

megabyteme
10-01-2009, 12:34 PM

OP, My well-wishes are only extended if you avoid "thoughts" like this.:dry:

DouglasQuaid
10-01-2009, 01:07 PM

"thoughts" LOL
Yes, stealing music is far more pure and respectable than trading invites or getting another account for a bonehead ban. :frusty:

TrollinThunder
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Get a new IP (usually just login to router, release IP lease and turn off router for a while (overnight or a day)) then use your knowledge to pass the interview pretending to be a new member.

brento
10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
I think the OP needs suicide watch.

ca_aok
10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
This thread coupled with his rep point made me lol :P

If you were such an amazing member of the site and loved it so, you should've tried looking for an invite in their Invites forum or one of the invites threads for higher classes...

megabyteme
10-01-2009, 02:16 PM
"thoughts" LOL
Yes, stealing music is far more pure and respectable than trading invites or getting another account for a bonehead ban. :frusty:

Alright, I'll type really slow so you can (hopefully) understand...

Trading got him in trouble in the first place. Circumventing site rules further will get him in... *looks around for someone who can answer* even more trouble. That's what he needs! Maybe he can get booted from some of the other sites he likes as well. Let's take a guy who has made an error in judgment and turn him into a social (BT) leper.

And if you are opposed to sharing files. Go away! Certainly don't sign up for a site called "FileSharingTalk" and...NVM.

Anyway, there are rules in this community, breaking them leads to troubles like the OP is facing.

TrollinThunder
10-01-2009, 02:23 PM
It's not that serious. He was probably a great what member and will be even more so with his new account. I think he should circumvent the 1 account per lifetime rule and enjoy the site again. I doubt he'll trade ever again.

Bad-Day
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
i'm really really sorry for you,this is a bad day...

Yeah !! Right On!!

Where did u saw that ? Stock Market ?

Shitty situation, you ended up, but theres always hope... just start all over again.... Goodluck.

megabyteme
10-01-2009, 02:47 PM
It's not that serious. He was probably a great what member and will be even more so with his new account. I think he should circumvent the 1 account per lifetime rule and enjoy the site again. I doubt he'll trade ever again.

Right now, he has just made an error in judgment. Some people here (possibly myself included) would consider helping him in the future if he made a [Req], if he deliberately circumvents site rules again, he's out in the cold for many, many of us who could potentially help.

He should make further, respectable attempts to regain that original account. He may be able to find someone there (eventually) willing to overlook his boneheaded move. He will NEVER find sympathy there if he circumvents (tries) the rules again. AND his new account will always have the possibility of being discovered and banned.

No good will come of this. If he was such a long-time good user, he should have some friends there.

Bad-Day
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
If he was such a long-time good user, he should have some friends there.

Exactly, thats why the need to trade, seams to be stupid.

TrollinThunder
10-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Your premise on the last point is flawed. A lot of good members don't interact much with the community. Not everyone is slapping the admins in the irc channel. What is a huge community so I'm not surprised he was not a real standout figure or one who had tons of friends.

The fact that the community is so large is exactly why making further attempts of grovelling in #support will likely be ineffective. I'd bet the admins get 1000s of stories and think most of them are b.s.

If he does it quietly, nobody will know he circumvented the rules.

My point in this thread is basically that, assuming this guy was the user he claims and did what he did to the letter, he deserves a second chance. If the what staff is not going to do that, he should take matters into his own hands (just like he justified copyright infringement to get the files off bt in the first place).

n00bz0r
10-01-2009, 03:54 PM

rofl.. nice one squiz :lol:
@OP: too bad ya decided to fuck things up which were going smooth.
anyway..whatman frequents these parts pretty often.
I will look forward to his response to this thread.;)

The_Martinator
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Uhm, there are other trackers and other methods of filesharing. Try them out.

Also what ca_ok said, how did you miss the recruitment threads?

megabyteme
10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
He certainly cannot plead ignorance if he gets caught again. As I mentioned, I cannot argue any benefits from further breaking the rules of the site he has expressed his enjoyment in being a member of.

As for flying "under the radar" or "quietly", this is a fairly public place. Perhaps the equivalent of robbing a doughnut shop in front of a police station. His chances of getting caught (not that he should even try it, IMO) have GREATLY increased.

I will give you the possibility that he may be unknown, or a non-poster. His history here coincides with that possibility. However, IF his story is entirely true, he spends A LOT of time in the forums, reading about a topic he is very interested in. His post in this thread does not strike me as someone who cannot express himself. He actually came across as somewhat sincere or I would not bother with this thread.

As for abandoning the rules of this community because many of us ignore copyright laws, is in itself flawed. Personally, I enjoy this community and wish to remain a long-time member of it. I have no such allegiance to the mentioned industries. In fact, in terms of the uninhibited flow of information that we all enjoy here, I see them as hostile combatants who wish to dismember the internet for their own self-interests. I do not see this community as such. If I wanted (yuck) to be part of that slimy, filth ridden community of whores (apologies to any of the literal and, IMO, far more respectable professional sex workers reading this) and extortionists, I would probably align my loyalties in their direction. *pukes at the thought*

Cabalo
10-01-2009, 04:18 PM
@OP: so does this means that the user http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/-221525 has scammed you? did he ever deliver you the bitme invite? if he didn't, quickly report him to the staff here so he can get a nice warm ban.

DouglasQuaid
10-01-2009, 04:25 PM
"thoughts" LOL

Alright, I'll type really slow so you can (hopefully) understand...

Trading got him in trouble in the first place. Circumventing site rules further will get him in... *looks around for someone who can answer* even more trouble. That's what he needs! Maybe he can get booted from some of the other sites he likes as well. Let's take a guy who has made an error in judgment and turn him into a social (BT) leper.

And if you are opposed to sharing files. Go away! Certainly don't sign up for a site called "FileSharingTalk" and...NVM.

Anyway, there are rules in this community, breaking them leads to troubles like the OP is facing.

Ya I agree hes a dumbass for trading... but you called me out so simply trying to help the guy.
Opposed to sharing files? I never said that, but since you think sharing is OK and trading invites is "BAD"... I sense arguing w/ you is moot.

OlegL
10-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I also tried to trade one of my what.cd invites. They didn't ban me when I told them about it, but they permanently disabled my invite privileges...
OP, you seem like a good guy who made a mistake. I hope WhatMan will re-enable you after reading this thread. Good luck!
Invites were never your property; they were what.cd's property and therefore, you were not allowed to trade invites. I have made the same mistake in the past because I didn't realize that important fact at that time.

megabyteme
10-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Ya I agree hes a dumbass for trading... but you called me out so simply trying to help the guy.
Opposed to sharing files? I never said that, but since you think sharing is OK and trading invites is "BAD"... I sense arguing w/ you is moot.

I find your post history (of trading) and the above post rather curious.

Not sure if you read my further thoughts on this page, but they address my loyalties. I respect the community and especially those who take the time, effort, and money to create and maintain a tracker. I also appreciate those who donate their time to moderating.

Yes, I find sharing similar to borrowing a book from a library (that I would not buy otherwise, or could read in many stores- also for free while having a cup of cocoa) and disrespecting the individuals who have asked for some simple rules to be followed for their efforts.

How long would you put up with someone disrespecting you in your own house? How is telling someone that it is OK to disrespect the site "helping"?

Benjamin
10-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey centuryfrog, first off, I don't know why you would trade, especially when you put all that time and money into your account. But respect for actually being honest about what you've done. Maybe you should write a 1000 word essay of apology and how you're never going to do something like this? Just a suggestion, a simple sorry doesn't earn trust back. If you really were a good user like you say you were, I'm sure the what.cd staff are reasonable enough to give you a second chance (invites disabled). Take it easy.

lisabritpop
10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I respect the community and especially those who take the time, effort, and money to create and maintain a tracker. I also appreciate those who donate their time to moderating.

as what megabyteme said, op, if u rly know what the dedicated ppls do,why u make such silly mistake to disappoint them

maybe ur a good member but as for what u did

short pleasure, long lament..................

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey centuryfrog, first off, I don't know why you would trade, especially when you put all that time and money into your account. But respect for actually being honest about what you've done. Maybe you should write a 1000 word essay of apology and how you're never going to do something like this? Just a suggestion, a simple sorry doesn't earn trust back. If you really were a good user like you say you were, I'm sure the what.cd staff are reasonable enough to give you a second chance (invites disabled). Take it easy.

well i talked to the staff and since i traded once back in the oink days (when it was ok) and once recently, im a trader now. i was completely honest with them though with all their questions they asked.

before i kind of looked at it like pot. i didnt do it cause it was against the rules but i didnt see why it was wrong. i understand how it hurts the community now but honestly i didnt think it was a big deal cause i see people on forums like this every day offering invites. obviously i get it now.

and yes everyone it was a lapse in judgement. my desire to get into bitme.org overruled my common sense and i fucked up. i accept that. i wasnt really making the post to get everyone's sympathy. i thought you all would get a laugh off of it. other people's misfortune is funny right? and maybe as a warning to other what members not to end up like me.

pone44
10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Best thing you could do is talk to them in IRC but you did that. Doubt anything will help recover your account. Will you continue trading after this?

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 08:45 PM
most definitely not

prasannab13
10-01-2009, 09:39 PM
yeah it reals makes you feel sad....

cinephilia
10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
yeah it reals makes you feel sad....
+1
best post so far in this thread :yup:

Enlightened
10-01-2009, 10:08 PM

:lol::lol:U are a whoring SLUT !!

centuryfog
10-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Also what ca_ok said, how did you miss the recruitment threads?[/QUOTE]

i never saw any. the only thing i saw in the forums were people getting warned for asking for invites. but they might have existed. i just went about getting a bitme invite the wrong way and i just fucked myself. im not a trader, im just retarded and didnt realize there were other ways of getting invites.

LESSON LEARNED

Albo Da Kid
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't agree with stripping someone down of their favorite trackers, just because they made a little mistake, especially if it was because he traded a few invites or two. I'm sure the Op's intention of getting another account were strong. Maybe he traded for a dedicated tracker like blackcats, hdbits, musicvids etc.., a tracker that he was going to use and not sit on it

Rafa
10-02-2009, 12:03 AM
well, you are regret now, but that's not your first attempt to trade (a what invite, i mean), am i right?

megabyteme
10-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Albo,

You still seem to have sympathies for occasional/"a few" trades. I still (and probably will always) stick to the analogy of a tracker being someone's house (the site owner(s) and staff). Trading (any) is a violation of that house. While I would not equate trading to feeling up someone's wife, I would probably place it somewhere around kicking their dog.

I would not tolerate anyone kicking my dog. Not even once. They just would not be welcome after that. If I decided to forgive them, they would be on very thin ice from that point on...

cinephilia
10-02-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't agree with stripping someone down of their favorite trackers, just because they made a little mistake, especially if it was because he traded a few invites or two. I'm sure the Op's intention of getting another account were strong. Maybe he traded for a dedicated tracker like blackcats, hdbits, musicvids etc.., a tracker that he was going to use and not sit on it
agreed (for specific cases like op's one).
i'd be more willing to trust this guy than any anti-trader showing off trackers userbars in their sig.

Duckater
10-02-2009, 12:27 AM
i'd be more willing to trust this guy than any anti-trader showing off trackers userbars in their sig.

Why? a trader has broken there rules an anti trader has not, unless ex trader and now got the sites they want and stopped trading but they should be treated like any trader any way :)

cinephilia
10-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Albo,

You still seem to have sympathies for occasional/"a few" trades. I still (and probably will always) stick to the analogy of a tracker being someone's house (the site owner(s) and staff). Trading (any) is a violation of that house. While I would not equate trading to feeling up someone's wife, I would probably place it somewhere around kicking their dog.

I would not tolerate anyone kicking my dog. Not even once. They just would not be welcome after that. If I decided to forgive them, they would be on very thin ice from that point on...
there's a huge difference between breaking rules cause you don't care less about the trackers you're member of, and breaking the rules because of heedlessness/negligence/lack of attention.

Cabalo
i don't agree with stripping someone down of their favorite trackers, just because they made a little mistake, especially if it was because he traded a few invites or two. I'm sure the op's intention of getting another account were strong. Maybe he traded for a dedicated tracker like blackcats, hdbits, musicvids etc.., a tracker that he was going to use and not sit on it
I'd be more willing to trust this guy than any anti-trader showing off trackers userbars in their sig.
+1

wharrislv
Hey man, there are lots of places online to get music reviews and recommendations. Its nice to be able to grab a torrent, but there are lots of other music trackers!

My recommendation is to use some more public resources, if you can.

If it really is like losing your girlfriend, take some time now to do some trashy easy ladies for a new experience. Eventually you'll run into another "keeper" like what!

cinephilia
10-02-2009, 12:50 AM

Why? a trader has broken there rules an anti trader has not, unless ex trader and now got the sites they want and stopped trading but they should be treated like any trader any way :)
i meant that i'm sure he'd make a better use of his account (if he'd get it back or get invited again) than any user showing-off with their trackers userbars.
as for me, that's not simply a matter of rules but it's first and foremost a matter of spirit.

yankeezfan1
10-02-2009, 01:09 AM
You deserve to get your account back because you can spell an use grammar. That is saying alot in the internet world.

Duckater
10-02-2009, 01:10 AM
i meant that i'm sure he'd make a better use of his account (if he'd get it back or get invited again) than any user showing-off with their trackers userbars.
as for me, that's not simply a matter of rules but it's first and foremost a matter of spirit.

Surely trackers make the rules for one main reason and thats security but as it happens I think traders, as a rule, also the sorts of people that break the spirit as a very big percentage of them are in it for their own gain to get what they consider better trackers. I am not saying the OP in this case is one of those.
But where do sites draw the line?
If we allow some traders and cheaters we catch should we allow them all?
Or should we say its ok to trade/sell/cheat on our trackers if you spend a lot of time their and treat it like a girl friend?

I am not a member of what.cd but I am betting like all trackers I have joined members are directed to the rules and asked to follow them. Site staff and owners spend a lot of time trying to make the tracker as best they can for their members so surely a little respect and following the rules is not a lot to ask. I also realise that it is the members of the community/site that really make it, but I bet if you ask the members who are active in sites, not just downloading, they have no issues with rules in place and like the way the site is.

Benjamin
10-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Albo,

7VaT4VtaokI

IdolEyes787
10-02-2009, 02:50 AM
You deserve to get your account back because you can spell an use grammar. That is saying alot in the internet world.

Good point well presented.

pro267
10-02-2009, 02:57 AM
@centuryfog

As much as don't want to, I can't help but sympathize when I see a person admitting to his/her wrongdoings. If your account is so important to you, my best advice to you would be to not give up on it just yet. I've seen WhatMan around here on FST, and he seems to be a pretty decent fella. PM him and explain the situation, admit to your crimes fully and offer to do whatever it takes to get another chance. Mind you, I'm not suggesting you resort to begging, rather that you attempt to demonstrate to the What staff that you really do care about their site and understand your mistake. If you decide to go this route, make sure you're being polite and genuine, and hopefully that'll move them enough to warrant giving you another chance. Then again, I might just be talking from my arse, and your account could be lost forever. Worth a shot, imho, if you love the site as much as you claim to.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Hopefully you really did learn your lesson from this incident.

cinephilia
10-02-2009, 03:00 AM

Good point well presented.
:lol:

Albo Da Kid
10-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Albo,

I agree that breaking a site's rules by trading is disrespectful to the tracker owner, especially if the user in question has violated more than once...Although I don't think it's disrespectuf enough to go around and global ban him or end that users BT career over a simple mistake.

I know it's a lot easier to give somebody the boot and shut the door, than to take time and talk to that user into becoming a good member in the future...
I feel that if i was to show comfort to a trader by talking to him, giving him a couple of invites, show him that trading is not the easy way out..that person will understand and take my advice and change paths in the future

We have to understand that most traders don't know many people in the BT community like we do and it's a little harder for them to get into the trackers that they want to get in, therefore taking the easy way out(trading) seems more convenient to them
Although I bet that if 90% of them knew how things worked, they wouldn't result to trading

What i'm saying is that ignorance leads to making the wrong moves, and punishing them will only lead to more confusion. I'd rather enlighten them

ca_aok
10-02-2009, 05:12 AM
The ironic part of that statement is that What's Invites forum, along with the Invites threads for Elites/TMs are probably enough to get people into almost any tracker they desire, aside from their banned tracker invites list (the e-peen trackers+waffles). BitMe would've been obtainable if he'd put in the effort.

As I see it, he broke a cardinal rule of the tracker. In a community of 100K users, they couldn't care less about 1 person who chose to break tracker rules. My suggestion is learn from your mistakes, try and join Waffles, and move on.

Cokeman
10-02-2009, 05:21 AM

Is it just me or is there somthing wrong with this phrase?

Torrenting is about getting stuff for free. And you go buy 10 albuns just to upload?

I would get it you DL from another source and then Upload on what.cd...

Funkin'
10-02-2009, 05:35 AM
^ So something is wrong because he actually went out and bought music to upload to a tracker? Nice attitude.

That's how these music trackers survive. By people ripping the cd's they own and upload them to the tracker(especially the lossless ones depend on this). Sure, some up other people's rips that they've found on other sites, but a lot do what centuryfog is doing.

I would get it you DL from another source and then Upload on what.cd...

Did you even think about that maybe the albums that these people requested are not to be found on other trackers/forums/newsgroups/etc? Not every album is on the internet.

I personally think that it's extremely cool that he went out and bought cd's just to fill people's requests. If this is true, then I'm sure he'll be a missed member.

Albo Da Kid
10-02-2009, 05:45 AM
There's still Waffles, Demonoid(when it comes back), Torrents.ru, plus countless warez forums/blogs and Soulseek. So don't kill yourself just yet.

Can you point me to some good warez sites and blogs? Im interested in music that is hard to find elsewhere

and I agree with your post up there 100%.. I think Cokeman was just saying that it's a little hard to believe that he went out and bought 10 albums.. especially the way the Op put it.."i was gonna upload 10 albums that i bought..but oh wellll" which sounds kind of like a lie to either get back at them for disabling his acc or to re-consider him...And I'm not saying that's the case, but it would cross some minds to believe so

1000possibleclaws
10-02-2009, 05:52 AM
There's still Waffles, Demonoid(when it comes back), Torrents.ru, plus countless warez forums/blogs and Soulseek. So don't kill yourself just yet.

Can you point me to some good warez sites and blogs? Im interested in music that is hard to find elsewhere

and I agree with your post up there 100%.. I think Cokeman was just saying that it's a little hard to believe that he went out and bought 10 albums.. especially the way the Op put it.."i was gonna upload 10 albums that i bought..but oh wellll" which sounds kind of like a lie to either get back at them for disabling his acc or to re-consider him

I'd be interested in warez/blogs as well if they have V2/V0/Mp3vbr torrents. Any good ones with similar quality controls to that? I've found a few blogspots over the years but I've never really kept up with them because I didnt find they had reliable quality control, and I hate downloading something only to download it again elsewhere. I'm guessing there might be some great ones with scene uploads or something similar?

Funkin'
10-02-2009, 06:35 AM
I pm'd the both of you with links.

The_Martinator
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Albo,

I agree that breaking a site's rules by trading is disrespectful to the tracker owner, especially if the user in question has violated more than once...Although I don't think it's disrespectuf enough to go around and global ban him or end that users BT career over a simple mistake.

I know it's a lot easier to give somebody the boot and shut the door, than to take time and talk to that user into becoming a good member in the future...
I feel that if i was to show comfort to a trader by talking to him, giving him a couple of invites, show him that trading is not the easy way out..that person will understand and take my advice and change paths in the future

We have to understand that most traders don't know many people in the BT community like we do and it's a little harder for them to get into the trackers that they want to get in, therefore taking the easy way out(trading) seems more convenient to them
Although I bet that if 90% of them knew how things worked, they wouldn't result to trading

What i'm saying is that ignorance leads to making the wrong moves, and punishing them will only lead to more confusion. I'd rather enlighten them

The easiest ay to enlighten them would be if FST got rid of the trading section and said clearly that trading is not allowed and also not tolerated. That's the ideal way.

However I have come up with a solution: what about putting a sticky in the trade section saying something like: ''Trading may cause serious problems, you may find yourself without any account, etc.'' Just a general warning type of thing...

Allthough, tbh, this section is filled with examples of what can happen when one trades, yet people still do it. Maybe my solution could help a few, though.

megabyteme
10-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Martinator- great idea! I think that a section header (not just a sticky) would be of benefit. I have talked to some new people over the past few months who truly had no idea that trading was a BT social taboo. They just wanted into the sites and thought that would be a "fair" way to do it. And, as an outsider, why would new people expect to get invites for free? A lot of good people expect to give something for something received in the real world, why not online.

Albo, very nice post! I think that communicating with the new users is the absolute best thing we can do for the community. And I truly hope that you continue with the efforts!

However, this is a social network and norms must be upheld. We need to respect the tracker rules. Period. If we (BT users) are to go around and hand out invites to known traders (even to just help them out) we are, helping that/those individual(s) to circumvent site rules. We, rightfully, deserve to face punishment ourselves. Especially if we make it our mission to "help" people who have only made a mistake or two.

When someone screws up, they need to face punishment- whether they were ignorant or not. If they have gotten into trouble at a certain tracker, they need to face that punishment at that tracker.

The global ban is another issue, but it is not handed out lightly. It is used for egregious incidents or a history of inappropriate actions. And, as you know, it is possible to talk to the individual trackers and plead your case. It is a lot of work for the individual and the tracker, but is necessary when people do things that seriously violate the community.

Individuals need to resolve their issues with the site(s) that were violated. Otherwise, we are essentially aiding and a bedding a "fugitive". That is serious IRL, and in any other community.

cinephilia
10-02-2009, 12:45 PM

in most cases, traders are simply hopeless cause they are stubborn, greedy kids but thankfully, there are also some good apples.
2 or 3 days ago, i posted in the trade section for the lulz and really, i didn't expect to receive a single pm (actually, i got plenty of trade propositions); one of them provided me with 3 unedited profile screenshots from renowned trackers he donated to. i could have make him banned easily but the guy was cool enough to deserve a chance (anyhow, who am i to get someone banned from his trackers?).
in the end, i talked a bit and gave him a couple of advices; i think and i hope he will make a good bt user from now on.

The_Martinator
10-02-2009, 01:03 PM

in most cases, traders are simply hopeless cause they are stubborn, greedy kids but thankfully, there are also some good apples.
2 or 3 days ago, i posted in the trade section for the lulz and really, i didn't expect to receive a single pm (actually, i got plenty of trade propositions); one of them provided me with 3 unedited profile screenshots from renowned trackers he donated to. i could have make him banned easily but the guy was cool enough to deserve a chance (anyhow, who am i to get someone banned from his trackers?).
in the end, i talked a bit and gave him a couple of advices; i think and i hope he will make a good bt user from now on.

Stand back people, this guy's the freaking messiah!! :lol:

Seriously, good to hear, mate.

cinephilia
10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
:angel1:

megabyteme
10-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Cine creates the new BT program called "Scared Straight".

Nice job, Cine! :happy:

sez
10-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Martinator- great idea! I think that a section header (not just a sticky) would be of benefit. I have talked to some new people over the past few months who truly had no idea that trading was a BT social taboo. They just wanted into the sites and thought that would be a "fair" way to do it. And, as an outsider, why would new people expect to get invites for free? A lot of good people expect to give something for something received in the real world, why not online.

Albo, very nice post! I think that communicating with the new users is the absolute best thing we can do for the community. And I truly hope that you continue with the efforts!

However, this is a social network and norms must be upheld. We need to respect the tracker rules. Period. If we (BT users) are to go around and hand out invites to known traders (even to just help them out) we are, helping that/those individual(s) to circumvent site rules. We, rightfully, deserve to face punishment ourselves. Especially if we make it our mission to "help" people who have only made a mistake or two.

When someone screws up, they need to face punishment- whether they were ignorant or not. If they have gotten into trouble at a certain tracker, they need to face that punishment at that tracker.

The global ban is another issue, but it is not handed out lightly. It is used for egregious incidents or a history of inappropriate actions. And, as you know, it is possible to talk to the individual trackers and plead your case. It is a lot of work for the individual and the tracker, but is necessary when people do things that seriously violate the community.

Individuals need to resolve their issues with the site(s) that were violated. Otherwise, we are essentially aiding and a bedding a "fugitive". That is serious IRL, and in any other community.

That's quite alot coming from a pirate :lol:
i wonder what the RIAA thinks when they stumble upon such reads :lol:

megabyteme
10-02-2009, 02:50 PM

I am quite certain they would prefer to think of us as unorganized and non-communal. I would say we are anything but. :happy:

Edit- And I am sure they love my sig also. :happy:!!!

sez
10-02-2009, 03:07 PM

I am quite certain they would prefer to think of us as unorganized and non-communal. I would say we are anything but. :happy:

Edit- And I am sure they love my sig also. :happy:!!!

:lol: for real no wonder the feds pay more attention to the scene than to us.If only they knew..not :P

PS:Am getting ideas of a rant off.See you in a few ;)