PDA

View Full Version : How do I shrink a BluRay MKV file, 4.37gb to 4.0gb?

Belleaux
10-02-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm going to use mkv2vob to convert a mkv file, that way it can be played on a PS3's hard drive.

However my problem is that the MKV bluray files are 4.37gb in size and the PS3's FAT 32 formatting is not letting me transfer the files. I can only transfer the files via a usb flash drive.

Can anyone recommend a good program that can shrink mkv files?

Sorry for any confusion, thanks for any help in advance

darkstate01
10-02-2009, 01:36 AM
I did a quick search on the worlds favourite search engine google and came up with this site
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic295147.html
Theres a few ways to solve your problem and the forum is jam packed full of very helpfull people there for you to ask any tech question you need answering.
Top avatar by the way, Just reminded me i haven't watched zatoichi for a long time.

hotshot6473
10-02-2009, 02:17 AM
In short you can't shrink them without degrading the quality immensely. You are better off splitting the file into two parts.

sassan
10-02-2009, 02:20 AM
PS3 doesn't play MKV either way.

You can convert your mkv's to VOB or you can stream your content using

Tversity h**p://tversity.com/support/quickstart-upnp/
or
PS3 Media Server h**p://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

May I recommend getting popcornhour it's pretty cool.

ericab
10-02-2009, 02:24 AM
:offtopic:

SonsOfLiberty
10-02-2009, 03:11 AM

or

He "said" MKV to VOB or did you miss that?

But Belleaux

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipBot264

or just stream it....there's a few of them out there, PS3 Media server mentioned above and of course TVersity.

Belleaux
10-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks all for the quick reply's.

I've tried using RipBot264 a couple of times, however the program gets an error and does not finish the encoding.

I'm unable to use the media servers because the PS3 that I'm trying this on cannot connect to the internet. I forgot to mention in my first post that "when" I manage to shrink the file to 4096mb, I plan on using the program mkv2vob to convert a mkv file to an mp4.

I also have the program handbrake trying to shrink down the mkv to 4096mb. It looks like its going to take 24hrs to complete.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

captive
10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
why would you want to, its 4.37gb for a reason, burn it and play it. would be a right hastle to do and you lose quality too. like some others have said also just stream it, much easier.

Belleaux
10-02-2009, 05:34 PM
why would you want to, its 4.37gb for a reason, burn it and play it. would be a right hastle to do and you lose quality too. like some others have said also just stream it, much easier.

As I stated earlier, because if the file size is 4096mb then I will be able to transfer it via USB flashdrive to a PS3. I do not have the option of burning it, nor the option of streaming it.

the mighty
10-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Just spilt it into two files in mkv2vob. I think there is an option in the last tab which lets you choose to split the files as it transcodes.

hotshot6473
10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
yep just split the file. You can either change it vob or run it through TSmuxer and change it to a avchd disk with a split .m2ts file

If you reencode it to you will lose a ton of quality. What you already have is a Gen. 2 copy. If you change it to Gen. 3 with a shitty encoder it will look horrible

SonsOfLiberty
10-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks all for the quick reply's.

I've tried using RipBot264 a couple of times, however the program gets an error and does not finish the encoding.

I'm unable to use the media servers because the PS3 that I'm trying this on cannot connect to the internet. I forgot to mention in my first post that "when" I manage to shrink the file to 4096mb, I plan on using the program mkv2vob to convert a mkv file to an mp4.

I also have the program handbrake trying to shrink down the mkv to 4096mb. It looks like its going to take 24hrs to complete.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

YOu don't have to connect to the i-net to stream, not with TVSerity anyway.

Also, whats the error/OS? Did you Google the error and see if it's fixable? Also, if you want to shrink it that it bad, make a ISO out of it, converting to vOB unomcpressed first, and then use DVDShrinka nd shriink it? I'm drunk and apoligize if I make no snese :dabs:

hugogt
10-07-2009, 06:27 PM
check out this site.

http://sentry23.googlepages.com/home

Belleaux
10-10-2009, 04:46 AM

or

He "said" MKV to VOB or did you miss that?

But Belleaux

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipBot264

or just stream it....there's a few of them out there, PS3 Media server mentioned above and of course TVersity.

I tried an older version of Ripbot264 and everything worked out perfectly! Took 24 hours and it looks close enough to the original 4.37gb file.
Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.:fst::fst::fst: