PDA

View Full Version : Get Faster Downloads

DarkReality
10-06-2003, 12:35 PM
The best way to get faster downloads is simply to share.

Some people (especially those on dialup) might think that sharing will in fact slow your downloads down. In your case this might be true.

But look at it from this point of view.

I'm on DSL, and I have no reason to disconnect from the Internet. I could run Kazaa 24/7 and all my 2,182 files would be available for everyone 24/7. But when people don't share with me, and all my downloads either say Searching, Connecting, More Sources Needed, or Remotely Queued, well, this means that people aren't doing their part.

Let's face it. Kazaa takes up a lot of memory, and bandwidth, even with DSL when I'm only uploading.

So if I'm posting on message boards, I see a drop in speed. I feel like I'm on dialup. But I suffer, because I'm downloading on Kazaa.

Unless none of my downloads are coming in.

At that point, I tend to pause all my downloads and exit Kazaa Lite, so I can browse the Web faster. And why not? I'm not downloading anything.

Of course, Kazaa isn't a trade service. The people who I'm trying in vain to download from, aren't downloading from me. The people who are downloading from me may or may not be sharing. Because of Kazaa Lite's settings, I can't be sure who's sharing and who's not sharing. I realize that.

But if I can't download, it's not efficient for me to run Kazaa all the time. So I turn it off. And those 2,182 files drop from the network.

Though the people I'm trying to download from aren't the ones downloading from me, they may want files I have. Or they may want to download from others, who get files from me. By taking my files offline, it creates a rippling effect that affects anyone who wishes to download the types of files I'm sharing, which range from images to documents to music videos.

Of course, when I go to sleep or work, I share regardless, because I want to contribute, whether I'm getting something in return or not. It's when I'm on the computer, and I have to decide if it's worth it.

And it's not just me. I'm sure there are many who feel this way.

So if you have files, do everything you can to share them. Your decision to not share a file may result in a few thousand files being taken off the network, even if for a short while.

Broadband is getting cheaper. If you like Kazaa, you should get broadband. I was paying $60 a month for DSL 2 years ago; now it's half that. I go through SBC Yahoo. Don't like them? They have competitors. Earthlink, MSN, and AOL are just some of the providers offering DSL. Get DSL, share your files on broadband, and make Kazaa better for everyone.

The RIAA and MPAA want to shut down Kazaa but can't. Whether Kazaa lives or dies, is determined by us the users. If everyone shared on broadband, Kazaa would be the best, downloads would be faster, and since you're sharing, other peoples' downloads are faster resulting in yours being faster. If no one shares, we're just doing our enemies a favor.

Formula1
10-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Yes you're truly correct , when lots of people (like 50) are sharing a music , the musci file finishes loading afte 10-15 minutes for a 56k user :D

DarkReality
10-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sweet car in your Signature; may I ask what it is?

Oh yeah and one thing I forgot to mention in the original post.

Don't stop sharing because of the RIAA! If you want to stop sharing music that's one thing. I stopped sharing music. I doubt you all are gonna chip in on my settlement if I get sued - but that's OK, music isn't what I use Kazaa for anyway. It's too hard to get consistent files. As an audiophile, I listen to music on my computer and require that all my music is ripped from CD on my system or on a system overseen by me, so I can guarantee the quality. Sometimes I will use Kazaa to check out a song or two but I don't download full albums.

The MPAA is not suing anyone (yet) for sharing movies. Likewise, video game companies, software companies, book authors, graphic artists, Anime companies, etc., are not suing people for sharing their stuff. Therefore, if you have copyrighted files other than music, you can (at this point) share them without fear of someone coming after you.

Speaking on the topic of multiple users, one thing that sucks ass about Kazaa is 90% of its users are behind 56K or slower. At least, I download from 90% dialup people. Right now I'm downloading from someone on a freakin' 28.8K connection. Or at least, someone with 28.8K speed. I know you can toggle the upload bandwidth to make yourself seem like a modem user. Anyway the point is, I tell people, if you download from 1 56K user, and you're on DSL, it'll only come in as fast as they send it... BUT if 10 people on 56K are sharing it, 56K = 7KB/sec x 10 = 70KB/sec peak. Not bad at all. And then you the DSL user get it, and you've just doubled the peak for the next guy to get it.

I only let 3 files go at a time, so people can get reasonable speeds. DSL upload and download aren't the same... upload is only 2-3 times 56K, BUT a DSL user can upload full bandwidth and download full bandwidth, and that's around 200KB/sec. It's pretty nice. I did the math and figure if all 3 users max out my upload bandwidth (set to Unlimited BTW) then I'm letting something like 2GB go per night. Not bad. And in reality I download far less than I upload, because of those times where nothing is downloading and yet I'm always uploading.

In fact right now I have 4 files with no sources. I was going to tell you one was downloading at about 1.59KB/sec or something like that, but that person signed off between the last time I checked (not too long ago) and just now..... and now one file is coming in at 4.08KB/sec.

Look people bottom line. In not having central servers, Kazaa SUCKS. Bottom line. You can't deny it. Kazaa has a lot of weaknesses. BUT we can make it better by sharing and making sure as many files are available as possible, that way people cand download from you, and later, people can download from them. And then Kazaa's weaknesses will be pretty trivial.

Switeck
10-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by DarkReality@6 October 2003 - 07:35
At that point, I tend to pause all my downloads and exit Kazaa Lite, so I can browse the Web faster. And why not? I'm not downloading anything.
Did you remember to lower the max uploads and upload bandwidth max in KL++ to something that doesn't overload your connection?
It could even be causing some of your download problems.
After all, not everyone has unlimited upload bandwidth...

I have about 29 KB/sec max useable in KL++.
How much do you have?

Formula1
10-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DarkReality@6 October 2003 - 21:08
Thanks for the reply. Sweet car in your Signature; may I ask what it is?

Its a viper concept :D

DarkReality
10-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Cool.

Switeck - Just saw your post.

I have ADSL, 128K upload and whatever it comes out to, I can download at up to 185-200KB/sec, but I've only done that from servers like Akamai or whatever it's called that works with Quicktime/Apple.

I have 3 upload slots and it's on unlimited. Are you suggesting that perhaps Kazaa is trying to upload at more than I can, and thus is causing problems?

Switeck
10-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by DarkReality@7 October 2003 - 03:45
Cool.

Switeck - Just saw your post.

I have ADSL, 128K upload and whatever it comes out to, I can download at up to 185-200KB/sec, but I've only done that from servers like Akamai or whatever it's called that works with Quicktime/Apple.

I have 3 upload slots and it's on unlimited. Are you suggesting that perhaps Kazaa is trying to upload at more than I can, and thus is causing problems?
Correct -- when you exceed your max upload bandwidth according to ISP limitations (the ADSL *CAN* easily beat 128 kilobits/sec upload too!), the ISP forces limiters on the connection.

What this means is 1 second of overload is followed by 1 or MORE seconds of the ISP randomly destroying data packets FROM and TO your connection. It's mostly FROM your connection that they lose because it costs them more to send out data across the internet (they pay by the MB even!) than to receive.

If you re-run KL++'s setup wizard, you can find an upload bandwidth limit that'll put uploads to between 12-14 KB/sec (that's 96 to 112 kilobits/sec -- both less than your 128 kilobits/sec max.)

Then, you can actually be uploading a little faster and downloading a LOT faster while uploading constantly. :)

chinook_apache
10-07-2003, 08:39 PM
LOL in my books to get faster dl speeds you dont share so your bandwidth does not get used up and the bandiwidth which would be used for uploaders would be used to get the extra faster dl speed. thing is on emule you have to share but thats ok since im on a 2meg connection and i dont notice a difference traffic

Switeck
10-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by chinook_apache@7 October 2003 - 15:39
LOL in my books to get faster dl speeds you dont share so your bandwidth does not get used up and the bandiwidth which would be used for uploaders would be used to get the extra faster dl speed. thing is on emule you have to share but thats ok since im on a 2meg connection and i dont notice a difference traffic
But if everyone did that, we'd all download very slow indeed!

It's mainly when either upload OR download bandwidth is maxed that the other 'side' suffers.

So the trick is to find a 'happy balance' where you still get greater than 80% max download speed (at least POTENTIALLY, considering how hard it is to fill up even a 1meg connection on KL++) -- and then leave it at that.

Or just set uploads to 1/2 your total upload bandwidth. Even ADSL lines with shared bandwidth (their RF frequency spectrum can designate different parts either upload OR download but not both) aren't hurt too much by that.

Most broadband connections upload and download bandwidth use do not interfere with each other nearly as bad as in the past -- it's just p2p program with poor pipelining that causes issues.

DarkReality
10-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply Switeck. I just went into the Kazaa Lite K++ folder, found the Config Wizard, and set it up. It set my upload bit to 88 - 11kb/sec. Hopefully this helps.

Of course, I think a lot of my downloading problem is in finding sources. B)

twisterX
10-08-2003, 11:57 PM
not every1 can afford dsl.
i kown its alot faSTER BUT THERE ARE STILL MANY PEOPLE WITH 56K

Messenger_plus!
10-09-2003, 01:11 AM
Yes , I must agree with you Dark. I run cable modem up to 1mb so kazaa and msn and all these other bandwidth consuming programs don't really bother me , i could care less. Blah , what does bother me is that all these blasted amount of diskspace the best products like kazaa lite and msn messenger take up , this is an old computer that ive had for a while and i just upgraded the memory up about 200mb (took some from my moms comp when we where installing the network card :D) but i am broke and can't buy any more memory until that joyful christian holiday Christmas :D :D

youdontknowwhoiam
10-09-2003, 03:24 AM
i have a 56k modem*sniff sniff* and i was wondering wut i should put my bandwith limit to be, plz help. thnx

Messenger_plus!
10-09-2003, 11:48 PM
hmmmmmm..........i remember the dreadful days of Dialup having to leave my computer on connected to the interent when i went places so my kazaa downloads could finish.... thats over now ^_^

Wrongturn
10-14-2003, 06:40 AM
i have a lot of movies to share but i do every thing i can to make my downloads faster but they just go as fast as they can witch is cool but i have tested if im not sharing they go faster if i am sharing they go slower so what i do if i cant wait to see the movie i dont share then it takes about 3 hours a movie then i share for the rest of the day i want to share but sometimes if i do i wait weeks for a movie but i am on off peak and peak time 1am - 7pm im not realy sharing the rest of the time i am i have my computer on 24 -7 and at the end of my download limit i leave my sharing on as well i agree sharing is the only way kazaa will live on

Forward
10-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Can you speaken Netherlands? :unsure:

Bude
10-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Is there a way that we can spread the word?

I assume that there are lots of ppl using Kazaa who don't read up on it in forums such as this.

What if there were a standard message and link which we could copy and paste into messages for other users (at least those that recieve messages) that would spread the word?

If everyone passed it on in this way the message would spread, and eventually everyone would get the drift.

Just a thought.

Switeck
10-15-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by twister203@8 October 2003 - 18:57
not every1 can afford dsl.
i kown its alot faSTER BUT THERE ARE STILL MANY PEOPLE WITH 56K
If you&#39;re on a 56k, either don&#39;t share or put max uploads at 1 (or 2 if your files are typically <2 MB each) and LIMIT upload bandwidth max to 24 kilobits/sec (3 KB/sec).

IRREGARDLESS of what connection type you have, it screws everyone to turn on the optimal bandwidth while idle/extra upload bandwidth to other users while idle checkbox which is below the upload bandwidth max&#33; :(

RomminusBios
10-15-2003, 10:50 AM
For faster downloads.... START WITH YOUR OWN COMPUTER&#33; Clean it up and keep it that way. Turn off all auto updates, unneeded start up programs(etc.). Everything that your computer does uses up resource... EVERYTHING&#33; I use an older HP. My harddrive is small, Ram basic, and a basic cable connection. b4 clean up my downloads were 10-20kbps. Now, That I cut off all the BS. Tweaked modem and windows. Downloads are 300-600Kbps :rolleyes: . A neighbor of mine bought a new system w/ killer ram, harddrive, the works. His Desktop has so many shortcuts...WHY? It&#39;s enough shortcuts ya need a damn folder for them. A waste. I don&#39;t wanna even get into his taskbar. The thing looks like a pack of Skittles. I was like.... man, you doing research work for NASA or something. Nah... just checking email.

Learn your computer. Find out what&#39;s running, and why? Remember, Big Brother is watching.

DarkReality
10-17-2003, 09:55 PM
RomminusBios - I am tempted to smack you upside your head with a big wet fish&#33;

I was eating my breakfast, and I read the line "A waste. I don&#39;t wanna even get into his taskbar. The thing looks like a pack of Skittles" and I sneezed and nearly lost my cereal&#33;

That&#39;s why when I get Desktop computers, I get them built, no OS installed, just gimme all the damn hardware driver disks and whatnot. I install Windows on it myself, build the system (sofware-side) up myself, so nothing is on it that I don&#39;t want, and then I install software from my archives. No evaluation software, no crippleware, no Basic... everything "Full" or "Pro", the best software in each category... I pimp that shit out...

Switeck
10-18-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by DarkReality@17 October 2003 - 16:55
I install Windows on it myself, build the system (sofware-side) up myself, so nothing is on it that I don&#39;t want, and then I install software from my archives.&nbsp; No evaluation software, no crippleware, no Basic... everything "Full" or "Pro", the best software in each category... I pimp that shit out... Btw, even after installing only a few games, a computer may start acting strangely due to the games copyprotection software interfering -- possibly with OTHER games copyprotection. Or possibly with normal and legal CD burning. Even if it has no effect in any other way, installing and removing those games often leaves behind some/much of the copyprotection, which WILL slow the computer down.

My best friend got a Kodak digital camera -- but the software that came with it had &#39;phone home&#39; support built into it. If it wasn&#39;t for SpyBot Seek and Destroy anti-trojan software, we&#39;d never even know that... we didn&#39;t read the EULA (End-Users Licensing Agreement -- the devil is in the details.)

Viruses nowdays can slip past all but the most secure systems via direct ip connections -- and they try ip connections at random.

Even when you know everything you install, with Microsoft&#39;s Obscurity-by-Design system registry approach, it doesn&#39;t stay that way very long. :angry:

When I (re-) install windows, I am a minimalist. I install everything I need and might need SOON -- but nothing more. Fewer security holes that way, less always running in RAM from boot-up, fewer files on the hard-drive, faster boot times, and even better system stability in general because fewer things are likely to go wrong. I don&#39;t have to worry about USB connectivity interfering with the windows dial-up DLLs because I don&#39;t HAVE the dial-up DLLs loaded. B)

SAS
10-19-2003, 01:35 PM
What all that with the Signture?? :angry: ??
Ip adress ect?? :angry: ??

I am with you on the not sharing I just posted a tipon the same thing...

But you should remore the sig you bad boy....

SAS :ph34r:

dogma
10-20-2003, 12:54 AM
I totally fucking agrree even tho ive only been at this for 2 days now but the concept should be common sence but its not. people thing if they dont sahre they DL faster. which if every one thought that way then its is going tobe SLWOER open your fucking eyes. share your files&#33;&#33;&#33; if EVERY ONE shared then every one could DL faster omfg thats to hard to comprehend&#33;

dogma
10-20-2003, 01:00 AM
WHOA rm=omminous &#33;&#33;&#33; IOOMFG 300 to 600 KBS. give mroe info bitch whats your processor ram OS? what did you do to twink it? i would bet alot of people woud be really interested to know how the fuck your getting 300 to 600 BBS&#33;&#33; i know i sure am . im running win 98 256 ram 800 meghrz proces im on dsl and i max can see 70 KBS and ionly DL 1 movie at a time. im using a linksys network card and a linksys hub. plzz tell me what you would recomend that i could do to get 300 to 600 kbs

dogma
10-20-2003, 01:01 AM
btw im drunk and i dont use spell check so fuck it la~

dogma
10-20-2003, 01:02 AM
oh btw my ssytem resources is 96 prct free &#33;&#33; and i still get only 50 to 70 bbs DL

Switeck
10-20-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by dogma@19 October 2003 - 19:54
if EVERY ONE shared then every one could DL faster omfg thats to hard to comprehend&#33;
There is also the Kazaa (and KL++ default if you DON&#39;T run KL++&#39;s configuration wizard) default of unlimited MAX uploads at unlimited speed -- which if someone turns on sharing with LOTS of popular files shared means... <0.2 KB/sec upload speeds per upload slot... because they&#39;ll have 20+ going at once.

And because Kazaa/KL++ hard-limits you to about 8 or fewer ACTIVE download sources at a time PER download if you&#39;re downloading more than 2 files at once, this means you may STILL be tied into those slow uploaders even though there are many others who can upload MUCH faster...