PDA

View Full Version : Non-scene on ScT

Polarbear
10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I really appreciate that ScT finally realised that there are good and fast P2P releases like the recent WiKi HD ones for example.

I guess they also realised that they can no longer afford to ignore them which is a good move.

But why in god's name are they rared? It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Hombre
10-02-2009, 07:53 PM
sct didnt need that to continue be the king of all trackers.

pone44
10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
There is no king ;)

The_Martinator
10-02-2009, 08:10 PM
sct didnt need that to continue be the king of all trackers.

:lol: I guess you have never DLed a non scene file, right?

Good move on ScT's part. And yeah, it's really weird that they're rared.

Polarbear
10-02-2009, 08:11 PM
It's also funny that they have a "Don't release our uploads elswhere" policy, but gladly took the Star Trek HD releases from HDChina. :P

10-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Are there any staff members here from ScT? I can't login to my account I think I may need to do some sweet talking as I havn't logged in there for a few weeks! Was seeding torrents though

Help!

susiserken
10-02-2009, 08:32 PM
who really gives a shit whats released on a site or not? if its good, its good enough to be released around imo-

cinephilia
10-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Are there any staff members here from ScT? I can't login to my account I think I may need to do some sweet talking as I havn't logged in there for a few weeks! Was seeding torrents though

Help!
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-irc-channels-349263

mrnobody
10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
most 0-day trackers (not just ScT) are trying to enrich p2p releases thesedays.

Rart
10-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Where did you find the news that they are allowing non scene content?

[

What I really hate is when I go on a torrent site to find a cracked copy of winrar after formatting, the winrar torrents are rar'd. <---- Fail.

Rart
10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Where did you find the news that they are allowing non scene content?

What I really hate is when I go on a torrent site to find a cracked copy of winrar after formatting, the winrar apps are rar'd. <---- Fail.

Duckater
10-02-2009, 09:35 PM
What I really hate is when I go on a torrent site to find a cracked copy of winrar after formatting, the winrar torrents are rar'd. <---- Fail.

Those words are so true :)
A self extracting rar would be a better option.
Another thing is when it all one rar and then some one decides put into multi rars to follow trakcers rules, so have to unrar to a rar file to unrar again to get what you want :lol:

pone44
10-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I would rather have files unpacked but it does not bother me. Takes a extra minute to unzip. Why is it that files on most BT trackers are compressed/rar,is it to save room on the sites server?

hotshot6473
10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Well The Wiki release was not rared. So if anybody had the file from other trackers they could not help seed.

If you want good HD content then join a private site with good encoders like HDChina and CHDbits. But for big releases you can always find that stuff on TL after it makes its round to other sites first.

Rart
10-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I would rather have files unpacked but it does not bother me. Takes a extra minute to unzip. Why is it that files on most BT trackers are compressed/rar,is it to save room on the sites server?

They aren't compressed =/. They are just RAR'd without compression. That's why those plugins to view rar'd content work so well - they wouldn't function on files that are actually compressed.

I think it may originate somewhere from usenet, where completion isn't always 100%. Instead of making the file useless, the incomplete RAR files could be repaired with PAR files, which is why everything in usenet is RAR'd. I guess that just made the transition to BT.

scrappen
10-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Even if the rar files were compressed, what good would it do since movies are already compressed data? By that logic you could archive a release with compression several times, each time it would be a bit smaller, and at the end, you would end up with a 1kb large rar-file :). Maybe i'm wrong, and that you can save a few megabytes by rarring a movie with compression, but it doesn't really make any difference.

I think it may originate somewhere from usenet, where completion isn't always 100%. Instead of making the file useless, the incomplete RAR files could be repaired with PAR files, which is why everything in usenet is RAR'd. I guess that just made the transition to BT.

I'd say it originates from the scene, where zips (later rars) has been the standard from the beginning. Since ScT is a scene tracker, my guess is that they keep even non-scene release rarred to conform with their standards, or call it tradition if you like. You may aswell ask why scene 0day releases are first rarred, and then zipped. Makes no sense at all either, but afaik the zipped 0days are kept for traditional reasons?

Benjamin
10-02-2009, 11:29 PM
It's amazing how fast WiKi released this, I'm guessing it's rared because it was downloaded off usenet. I was surprised they have some Esir rips on free leech as well.

james223
10-03-2009, 12:37 AM
I like when releases are rared as you can generally cross seed with other sites. The reason why most 0-day sites rar is because they are the original releases of usenet if they are p2p or direct from the 'scene'

Duckater
10-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Scene stuff is rared into parts as ftping is more likely for errors and then only one small part has to be got not the whole file if corrupt.
Torrents do not need to be rared due to way transfered, they are broke into blocks and transfered that way and checks and redownloads errored blocks.

Rart
10-03-2009, 05:39 AM
I don't get why people say that the torrents need to be rar'd to cross seed. I extract torrents just fine from sites and cross seed them after being unrar'd.

The_Martinator
10-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't get why people say that the torrents need to be rar'd to cross seed. I extract torrents just fine from sites and cross seed them after being unrar'd.

+1 Only if all sites would have them unrared, though.

Anyway, I think Duckater answered pone's question. AFAIK that's the reason for scene files to be rared.

hotshot6473
10-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Sites can't unrar them because they would sacrifice pre-times. If you cant unrar something in a minute flat then it is time to get a new computer anyway.

Also we arn't talking about sites unraring material so you can cross-seed, instead we are saying they rared the original which was unrared making it impossible to cross-seed.

Polarbear
10-03-2009, 01:44 PM
1. Scene files are rared because with multiple rar parts a release can be raced faster on FTP servers.

2. This thread isn't about scene releases.

Il_Professore
10-03-2009, 10:02 PM
i wish i had some free time like you guys that search the hair in the egg(i dont know the right phrase in english).