PDA

View Full Version : Can't Use The "open With" Button On Right-click

ontheedge2000
10-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Whenever I try to right click a file and "open with" it says windows can't find the file, maybe you are typing it wrong (something to that extent). No matter how new the file is, or what the file is, this always happens. anyone know whats wrong?

fkdup74
10-06-2003, 02:24 PM
not sure, but you could maybe try running scandisc to check for errors, make sure you have the 'automatically fix errors' function selected, and then de-frag
you'll need to re-boot before scandisc will check your C drive, it'll ask you if you want to run the check at start up, cause it needs to access some files in use or something to that effect, just click yes and restart, but that takes a while to run,
so if you want you can hold out for a while to see if anyone else pops in with different advice.....btw, what files is it not reading?

sunrat
10-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Don't you get a box with 2 buttons to choose between 'Web search' or 'Select program from list"?

MUSLEMAN
10-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ontheedge2000@6 October 2003 - 10:05
Whenever I try to right click a file and "open with" it says windows can't find the file, maybe you are typing it wrong (something to that extent). No matter how new the file is, or what the file is, this always happens. anyone know whats wrong?
is this with every file you try??http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/2/salook.gif

ontheedge2000
10-07-2003, 01:20 AM
For example:

I right click TheHulk.avi and go to open with, so i can open it with my divx player. It just tells me that it cant find the file, no box comes up or anything

o and as far as i know its the same with all file types

o wait, some files have one of the boxes like this

open with-->wordpad
quicktime
Choose program

if i press chose program, it brings up the same "cannot find file" thingy

ultimatejester
10-07-2003, 01:22 AM
have u tried pressing the shift key while double clicking the file. this used to work in windows 98 and other windows.

sparsely
10-07-2003, 02:09 AM
^ Shift+Right-click

ontheedge2000
10-08-2003, 01:36 AM
tried it, didnt work