PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Spillage :(

DarthInsinuate
10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
my sister spilt soya drink on her laptop last week, now half the buttons are unresponsive and one fell out and won't go back in - is it completely buggered?

Neo 721
10-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Not necessarily, you could either leave it for a while or replace the key board.

DarthInsinuate
10-06-2003, 07:36 PM
would it be covered by warranty? - she's only had it a little while, stupid girl

muchspl2
10-06-2003, 07:37 PM
try to find a can of blue shower works great for cleaning eletronics

zapjb
10-06-2003, 08:45 PM
If you decide to seek assistance through warranty coverage DON'T tell them something was spilled on it. That usually voids all warranties. I'd just clean it up real good & play dumb.

muchspl2
10-06-2003, 08:52 PM
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/TechSpray/Blue_Shower_II.asp

heres a link, you used to be able to get it at radio shack, but I think they stoped selling it

good luck

lynx
10-07-2003, 08:55 AM
If the keyboard is detachable (or at least if you can lift it away from the rest of the laptop), try washing it in warm water, then hanging it up to dry. This may sound crazy, but it actually works (and anyway, what have you got to lose).

Depending on the contents of the drink, you could have circuits either shorted together or insulated by the dried deposits. Warm water should re-dissolve these solids and hopefully solve the problems. You may have to repeat it if all the keys aren't fixed at the first attempt.

DON'T try this if the keyboard is fixed to the base of the laptop.

Acecool
10-07-2003, 10:47 AM
I remember my nintendo, and snes were both soaked in water, then left to dry, plugged in a week later and they worked, the games however were ruined (all fault of a faulty U-Haul)

zapjb
10-07-2003, 11:08 AM
DarthInsinuate Posted on 6 October 2003 - 14:36
would it be covered by warranty?......

I'd check the time limit of the warranty. Then if your within limit. Clean it up & send it in. Don't tell them anything was spilled. Why fool around if it's under warr. That soy could f it up later if it's not f'd up now. RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it!

Now!

lynx
10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Yes, just send it back, they will trust what you have said and will simply trash the laptop without looking at it anyway. They do it all the time, they've got money to burn.

It's just a shame you broke that key off (yes, I do understand what "fell out" means), it might just make them a little suspicious.

As I said earlier, some laptops have keyboards which lift away from the main body for ease of use, but even on the ones that don't they are usually fairly easy to remove, for the simple reason that people have a tendency to spill things into the keyboard :-"

If it can't be cleaned, it shouldn't be too expensive to get a new keyboard fitted. But if you try and send it back under warranty you will probably get it straight back, with a charge for the P&P and a bill for examining it. And that will probably be more expensive than a new keyboard.

DarthInsinuate
10-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@7 October 2003 - 11:08
RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it! RMA it!

Now!
Je ne comprend pas

Virtualbody1234
10-07-2003, 04:23 PM
RMA

Acronym for Return Merchandise Authorization

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?acronym=RMA