PDA

View Full Version : Oh WhatMan, Can you aid thee?

safecf
10-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Does anyone know of errors in what.cd's cheat detection scripts?

My gf was banned for using a "cheating client," when in fact she was using the newest version (beta) of transmission on her mac.

Here is a similar issue on the transmission form:
http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7592

The people on the IRC channel were helpful, but lacked the ability to prove wrong doing. Is it possible to truly pinpoint the statistics of a cheater? If so, WhatMan, please check into this for me. Both of our stats should be acceptable.

what.cd: braineats and safecf

As for myself, I was stupid enough to try to log onto her account, as an attempt to help, finding out that I just got instabanned isntead. No warning?

Funkin'
10-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Well, you really aren't supposed to use beta clients on trackers just for this reason. They may send invalid data. I have no idea if staff can distinguish from an actual cheating client and a beta torrent client. So you guys may be screwed on this one...

andy316
10-08-2009, 02:36 AM
As for myself, I was stupid enough to try to log onto her account, as an attempt to help, finding out that I just got instabanned isntead. No warning?

i lol'ed.sorry but damn funny.

Cabalo
10-08-2009, 02:41 AM
hmmmm...

The_Martinator
10-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Nice avatar OP. :)

TrollinThunder
10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Thou faileth. The use of thee implies that you want Whatman to help himself, perhaps to your girlfriend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_pronouns#Old_English_personal_pronouns

See Middle English in the charts, since even I can barely read the Old English.

ca_aok
10-08-2009, 03:12 PM
The testing of unstable clients by developers is not allowed unless approved by a staff member.
^^

Bad-Day
10-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Thou faileth. The use of thee implies that you want Whatman to help himself, perhaps to your girlfriend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_pronouns#Old_English_personal_pronouns

See Middle English in the charts, since even I can barely read the Old English.

Ouch*

JimmyCamLate
10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh young one. All you need to do is get your gf another invite and make sure she doesn't set the upload to 3 MB/s and I am sure she will be sorted.

zamazingo
10-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Apparently JimmyCamLate can't read if his life depended on it.

sez
10-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Oh young one. All you need to do is get your gf another invite and make sure she doesn't set the upload to 3 MB/s and I am sure she will be sorted.

Please don't ever post within 10 posts of me. You're too stupid, your opinions are nothing but unsubstantiated, laughable garbage and you contribute absolutely nothing to any conversation in which you participate.

WhatMan
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
You say she was using the latest beta, but she announced with Transmission/1.40+. Considering how the latest release is 1.75, I find it difficult to believe that she was on the latest beta. The scripts flagged it as a modified client, and it sure looks that way to me.

Regarding your account, you can have it back - I've re-enabled it for you. I'm not going to penalize you for caring enough about your girlfriend to try logging into her account without considering the implications. But she had a terrible ratio, then suddenly started uploading at 1.45MB/s on a very well seeded torrent with a weird peer ID. She's not getting her account back. I'd advise you to simply download music for her (but don't share your account or follow JimmyCamLate's advice, that'll just end in tears).

Bad-Day
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
No offense, but...... was it really her idea to start cheating ? Usually girls donīt care about that stuff, they just wanna download.... like crazy, the boyfriend is the one who usually solves the ratio problem....

Tsssk no offense op. I donīt even know you.

JimmyCamLate
10-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Please don't ever post within 10 posts of me. You're too stupid, your opinions are nothing but unsubstantiated, laughable garbage and you contribute absolutely nothing to any conversation in which you participate.

But I care so much what you think.

Ok so I was off by 1.5 MBps. Sue me. It's hard to figure out how much cheaters cheat by just from their typing skills.

nutcr0cker
10-11-2009, 09:12 PM
The best way would be to discuss it in the appropriate section of the torrent site and see what others have to say. I mostly have been with utorrent because it does not want to take over my computer but I have set it to download and install the latest client. Never had any problem thus far but then again I don't use too much BT

colbert
10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Looks to me like a fair decision by WhatMan.

safecf
10-12-2009, 01:13 AM
You say she was using the latest beta, but she announced with Transmission/1.40+. Considering how the latest release is 1.75, I find it difficult to believe that she was on the latest beta. The scripts flagged it as a modified client, and it sure looks that way to me.

Regarding your account, you can have it back - I've re-enabled it for you. I'm not going to penalize you for caring enough about your girlfriend to try logging into her account without considering the implications. But she had a terrible ratio, then suddenly started uploading at 1.45MB/s on a very well seeded torrent with a weird peer ID. She's not getting her account back. I'd advise you to simply download music for her (but don't share your account or follow JimmyCamLate's advice, that'll just end in tears).

I greatly appreciate your help. I will take your advice and just download stuff for her. Furthermore, I was refunded my donation so I will just send another one over to What.cd. I am glad there are reasonable people like you on the staff. Thank you.