PDA

View Full Version : Linking Dial Up 56k Modems

soma
10-07-2003, 04:48 AM
Cant really find anything on linking DIAL UP modems on google...is it possible or only with cable modems and such. If so do they have to be internal or external or doesnt matter. Also can u do this with only 1 phone line? Just curious cause I live in Thailand and they only offer 56k to residential owners and I heard somewhere on the board about linking modems to increase speed, tryin to c if this is even possible 4 me...thx!

muchspl2
10-07-2003, 04:50 AM
I don't think we have that option in the us

j/k
I'm pretty sure you cant, and even if you could how could the different modems know what each packet had or didn't have accepted

[P][RO][CE][SS][OR]
10-07-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by soma@7 October 2003 - 04:48
Cant really find anything on linking DIAL UP modems on google...is it possible or only with cable modems and such.  If so do they have to be internal or external or doesnt matter.  Also can u do this with only 1 phone line?  Just curious cause I live in Thailand and they only offer 56k to residential owners and I heard somewhere on the board about linking modems to increase speed, tryin to c if this is even possible 4 me...thx!
linking modems? The only way i can think, is a hub, but that's for networking 2 computers. Maybe you could have 2 modems in one computer, but have 2 different phone lines to your computer, and 2 different i'net services. That's kinda far out there, but you would get about 2x the speed :P

if you find a way, let me know, i want to link my modem to another one.

soma
10-07-2003, 06:39 AM
yeah, like i said im not even sure if its possible w/just 1 comp, and dial up modems, I just saw it somewhere on the board here (forgot where now), and was curious cause I really despise dial up speeds, anything to help would be great!

lynx
10-07-2003, 09:19 AM
You can certainly do this if you have Win2k or XP, and it is very easy.
But it only works properly if your ISP supports it - check with them first.

If you have installed your second modem, go into Settings/Network & Dial-up Connections. Right click on your isp's connection and select at the properties.

Select both modems in the box 'Connect using...'.
You can get it to stop using one of the lines if it is not needed in the options tab.