PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

Broken
10-07-2003, 05:49 AM
I went to the mail box today and found a letter from the county court today. my first thought was that it was from the riaa, and i thought "oh shit"!

To my relief it wasn't what i thought i was at first. I was however, being summon for jury duty. It's not so much that i mind to serve jury duty has much that i can't afford to serve jury duty. It takes every cent i make just to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. The 12 bucks a day that they say they'll give me just won't cut it... i'll be eating and living out of the dumpster behind mcdonald's.

Anyone have any ideas how i can get out of this honor?

:beerchug:

[P][RO][CE][SS][OR]
10-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Easy, just say you've met the person on trial in the mall, and didn't really like him.

noname12
10-07-2003, 05:55 AM
shoot your self in the foot, that gets you out of service.

[P][RO][CE][SS][OR]
10-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by noname12@7 October 2003 - 05:55
shoot your self in the foot, that gets you out of service.
i think mines a little less painfull

clocker
10-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Casually mention during your interview that you're really excited about exercising your rights re: jury nullification.
You'll be out of there in a heartbeat.

[P][RO][CE][SS][OR]
10-07-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Broken@7 October 2003 - 05:49
honor

???

I don't think it's an HONOR, but more of a HOROR. I never want to be in jury duty. It takes too much time, in my already busy day.

My Typical Day.
Sleep
Play Warcraft
Eat
Sleep

Alucard1475
10-07-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Broken@7 October 2003 - 15:49
I went to the mail box today and found a letter from the county court today. my first thought was that it was from the riaa, and i thought "oh shit"!

To my relief it wasn't what i thought i was at first. I was however, being summon for jury duty. It's not so much that i mind to serve jury duty has much that i can't afford to serve jury duty. It takes every cent i make just to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. The 12 bucks a day that they say they'll give me just won't cut it... i'll be eating and living out of the dumpster behind mcdonald's.

Anyone have any ideas how i can get out of this honor?

:beerchug:
And you still manage to have internet?? :huh:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
10-07-2003, 06:31 AM
;) I got out of Jury Duty when I was 19.I know it might be wrong and everybody should do it.But I did not.

What do you do?Easy.You have your Mother, Father or any close relative send the Court a Note saying you are Mentally Incapable of serving.

Yes it is a cheesy way out.....but it works.You will never hear from them again.

:) Now do not get me wrong.If it was a high Profile case I would of took it.But it was not.

FC B)

MagicNakor
10-07-2003, 06:51 AM
FC, your parents were doing the system a service. In your case, it's the truth. ;)

It really depends on what kind of case it is. Some are easier to get out of than others.

:ninja:

nikita69
10-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Broken, as your doctor I have to inform you that after careful pshyciatric diagnosis we found the followings:

You suffer from panic disorder with or without agoraphobia. The essential feature of panic disorder is the unexpected panic attack, a sudden onset of intense apprehension, fear, or terror, i.e. Jury Duty. Panic disorder is an illness characterised by recurrent panic attacks such as jury duty, drop of the dog at the pet store, finding boogers in your nose. Later in the course off this disturbance, certain issues, e.g. driving a car or being in a crowded place, may become associated with having a panic attack. These panic attacks are not triggered by situations in which you are the focus of others' attention (as in social phobia).

Therefore, I relieve you from any Jury Duty, dropping off the dog at the pet store and picking your nose. You also suffer from Depression, but we won't go into that one, for now. I have included a diagram of what you should do in the meantime. Please drop by my office to pick up the slip and the results. Monica Lewinsky is my new assistant, feel free to contact her for further assistance. :lol: :lol:

http://www.medindia.net/education/Distance_education/lessons/lesson8/images/pshyciatric_img1.gif

Amarjit
10-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Just say that the person on trial is familiar to you ... he did a favour for you. Your honour will no longer be a horror.

Spindulik
10-07-2003, 05:59 PM
I got out of jury duty once, but I wanted to serve. I think it is interresting to serve. But you could say that I did serve, since I atleast went through the screening.

The judge had the exact same last name as mine, and that disqualified me.

lynx
10-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Just ask if you can send them to the chair.
They don't like it if you are thinking about the sentence before the trial has started.

Snee
10-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Go to the screening-thing, and wink seductively at the judge, a ;) ll the ;) ti ;) me ;) .

And please don't hesitate to tell us how it went.

DanB
10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
I'll never be able to do jury service http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/cry.gifbut i'd like to. A friend of mine did it and she quite enjoyed it.

Snee
10-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by danb@7 October 2003 - 19:20
I'll never be able to do jury service http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/cry.gifbut i'd like to. A friend of mine did it and she quite enjoyed it.
Have ye done time? :P

bigboab
10-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@7 October 2003 - 17:59
I got out of jury duty once, but I wanted to serve. I think it is interresting to serve. But you could say that I did serve, since I atleast went through the screening.

The judge had the exact same last name as mine, and that disqualified me.
[QUOTE]

Judge Spindulik? :P

DanB
10-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SnnY+7 October 2003 - 19:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 7 October 2003 - 19:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-danb@7 October 2003 - 19:20
I&#39;ll never be able to do jury service http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/cry.gifbut i&#39;d like to. A friend of mine did it and she quite enjoyed it.
Have ye done time? :P [/b][/quote]
that would be telling <_< :o

Snee
10-07-2003, 06:53 PM
You know, I could never become a pilot, or an electrician since I have busted colour perception (a virus in my teens). Being closed off from Jury-Duty doesn&#39;t seem so bad, all things considered. :D

hobbes
10-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Read this, it is a serious reply&#33;

Tell the truth.

You can call ahead and ask if there is any way out because of your financial status, first off.

If you must show up, this is how it works. You will start in a pool of 400 or so. They will start calling out groups of 50 and lead you to your courtroom. The opposing lawyers on the case will then ask each person a few questions. A judge will be present.

When you are called upon, politely explain that you are sorry to disrupt the court, but your financial concerns are currently more important than the case. If you miss any amount of work time, you may lose the roof over your head. It would be helpful to bring key financial documents to back this up and offer them to the judge if we wishes to verify your financial distress.

The judge is the key, he will decide if you are trying to skip jury duty because you are lazy or if you are truely in trouble. If he thinks you are full of crap, you will be returned to the main pool. They can do this for 3 days, I believe. If he buys your story, he will dismiss you outright. The fallacy most people have is that if you are not selected or dismiss from a case you are free, but in actuality you are sent back to the main pool and have to wait for another case.

He might wonder how someone about to lose his roof can be chatting on the internet. Judges can spot a bullshitter no problem and they have ways of making you miserable. Be honest&#33;

Broken
10-08-2003, 12:41 AM
If I&#39;m so poor how can i afford to thave the internet?
Well, it would only take the loss of a day or two from work to devastate the delecate balance I play with my finances. When I am out of vacation for the year i go in no matter what. And i&#39;ve had some very bad days.

Got some good news though&#33; The company that I work for pays you your regular wages if you&#39;re called to jury duty - up to 10 days. And even though I will be a possible jurier, i&#39;m not there yet.

I am considering asking for a postponement for my possible service until Jan. 04
Then i will not only have the ten days but my regular months vacation to fall back on.

noname12
10-08-2003, 12:43 AM
If all else fails, shoot your self in the foot, you get off jury duty, and if a war happens they cant call you in and on top of that you get 30 days paid sick leave...
I think the foot option is the best

clocker
10-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by noname12@7 October 2003 - 17:43
If all else fails, shoot your self in the foot, you get off jury duty, and if a war happens they cant call you in and on top of that you get 30 days paid sick leave...
I think the foot option is the best
If he shot you in the foot that would get him out of jury duty, too.

It would also solve the shelter/food problem for a little while.

noname12
10-08-2003, 12:53 AM
:lol: :lol: good to know I&#39;m so loved :D

clocker
10-08-2003, 12:54 AM
It&#39;s nothing personal.

Really.

noname12
10-08-2003, 12:56 AM
... Said Bush JR when he invaded Iraq...
:lol: :lol: