PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand the appeal of CoD4/MW2

Rart
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I never understood the appeal of these games.

I've played it a couple times with my friends and it just seems like a counterstrike with less aiming and more spraying :unsure:

Am I missing something?

Skiz
10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
To each their own. Different strokes for different folks, and so on...

CS is old and shitty tho. Actually, it's beyond old. And come to think it, that makes it beyond shitty as well. I have no idea why people cling to these old games as if something better has yet to be released. There are plenty of FPS's out there that any fan can find at least one they like.

FPS games are the only games I really like. The POV puts you in the game and the replay value is endless.

Rart
10-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Are you talking about 1.6 or source? I meant source in my OP. I just find CoD 4 to be so... sprayish.

I saw this video of highlight reels of killstreaks on CoD4, 90% of the time its someone who just sprays into one tiny area and manages to get like 4-5 kills in a row from lucky respawns.

Skiz
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Both are old, outdated, and look like shite, similar to the original CoD. But I'll give CoD credit for actually having an atmosphere that was realistic. CS prided itself on realism but other FPS's blew it away in that respect.

To add to that, the accuracy/damage model in CS was (is) a joke. One reason you see people getting multiple kills in CoD4 is that the bullets do realistic damage. Unlike CS where if you're a shotgun fan, you have to shoot another user 5 times at point blank range to kill them. That's absurd.

There is just no point to playing a game that is so stupidly inconsistent in its implementation and handling of weapon accuracy and damage. :dabs:

CoD4, IMO, is a more realistic game in gameplay, atmosphere, weapon realism, etc... It just plain rocks. :happy:

MrPirate
10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
CS was good, but people need to move on. If you think CoD4 requires no skill then play hardcore S&D or something similar, not many people spray on those games, more tactical than anything, usually one shot and you are out.

kasuser
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
CS was good, but people need to move on. If you think CoD4 requires no skill then play hardcore S&D or something similar, not many people spray on those games, more tactical than anything, usually one shot and you are out.

Agreed. There is a good deal of skills required for the FPS/TPS type games now. CS was just that - spray and pray.

Unless the OP is referring to the genre in general. Then, I see where you are coming from - but - it looks like the devs are adding components to appeal to players differently, almost RPG style components. I am not sure it is all e-peen, but, comparing your stats to others can come down to just that...

TrollinThunder
10-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I played CoD2 and 4 before ever trying CS:S. I played CS for about a half hour before retiring it forever. I find the CoD series to be so much better. There are tons of great servers out there that play tactically or just in general not like a moron running around CS screaming into the mic. CoD5 is even better for tactical gamers.

You need to find servers that appeal to your style and even personality, since you can end up playing with the same crew for many, many hours.

brento
10-15-2009, 01:15 AM
To each their own. Different strokes for different folks, and so on...

CS is old and shitty tho. Actually, it's beyond old. And come to think it, that makes it beyond shitty as well. I have no idea why people cling to these old games as if something better has yet to be released. There are plenty of FPS's out there that any fan can find at least one they like.

FPS games are the only games I really like. The POV puts you in the game and the replay value is endless.

CS lives on due to the amount of custom content being made for it.

Rart
10-15-2009, 09:33 PM

Agreed. There is a good deal of skills required for the FPS/TPS type games now. CS was just that - spray and pray.

Unless the OP is referring to the genre in general. Then, I see where you are coming from - but - it looks like the devs are adding components to appeal to players differently, almost RPG style components. I am not sure it is all e-peen, but, comparing your stats to others can come down to just that...

What I'm trying to say is that I feel like CoD seems to reward spray and pray far more than CS:S. Like I've mentioned, I've seen some COD4 highlight videos and the best ones all seem to be a person simply luckily spraying into a spot where people spawn and get like a 5-6 killstreak. That doesn't, if ever happen in CS:S.

towerblocks
10-16-2009, 01:31 PM

What I'm trying to say is that I feel like CoD seems to reward spray and pray far more than CS:S. Like I've mentioned, I've seen some COD4 highlight videos and the best ones all seem to be a person simply luckily spraying into a spot where people spawn and get like a 5-6 killstreak. That doesn't, if ever happen in CS:S.

You're obviously playing against or watching shit people then, Check this video out and tell me it's spray and pray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7MVtGtgeBA

Callmehank
10-16-2009, 03:02 PM
...I was just about to post that video.

COD takes skills.

Rart
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I guess I'm just trying to play the devils advocate here but... Just because some people can play a successful game aiming doesn't mean that spray and pray doesn't work. While you can choose to play by "aiming" I have also seen many videos where someone just sprays into a general spot without looking at any person in particular and manages to get a 6-7 kill streak. Sure you can aim, but it seems like you could still get kill streaks without aiming.

chalice
10-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Rart, dry your fucking eyes.

Shoot things and shut the fuck up.

SonsOfLiberty
10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
With a pump shotgun up close, they don't call me the Terminator for nothing.

whipit
11-01-2009, 02:50 PM
That video is pretty sweet but I have to say whoever was playing was in a lobby with some SUPER NOOBS. Cod4 does take skill though, you can spray and pray and get a few kills but to be great at it you need SKILL. I think that the biggest attribute to Cod4 is the point system and prestige mode within ranked play as well as the differant game types. What turned me on was the realistic look and feel of the maps... when it was first released.

gzus81
11-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Game takes some skill, but generally, the person with the best aim will win the gunfight

mr. nails
11-06-2009, 05:57 AM
lol, basically a bunch of mindless no0bs running around in a ps3 game.

as for css ppl do need to let that junk go. last time i played that game i had my sites on sum dude and right when i was about to fire i got knocked back from a nade and when i shot i shot the wall. u know what happened after that? u guessed it.. i got a headshot on that guy. fucking retarded.

TrollinThunder
11-07-2009, 05:02 AM
I didn't guess right. :/