PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server VS Refurbished Server

HiDDENSKiLL
10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between server.lu Dedicated Server VS Refurbished Servers?

Vars
10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
server.lu's dedicated servers are their new line of server offerings. The Refurbished Servers are their old server plans. Basically, a refurbished server is a server that one of their older clients is no longer renewing. Instead of modifying the server so it has the same specs as their new plans, their just selling them again under a different name.

They're both dedicated servers, their just different plans (ie different amounts of RAM and HDD space).

brgroup
10-14-2009, 01:05 AM
I have one of each: Old Plan DS2000, New Plan AS2000 and Refurbished RS2000..

All run great. With exception of some slight difficulties during setup of the refurbished RS2000, they are steady workhorses.

Valoo
10-14-2009, 11:09 AM
the old servers are cheaper, less powerful, and have 2 HDDs instead of only one. The last point can be interesting to share the box between several users because it reduces the I/O problem.

Acidelito
10-18-2009, 06:15 PM
So you can use the Server.lu as a dedicated seedbox?

They do not complain about that you are consuming a lot of bandwith?

This is coppied from their site.

"Our bandwidth policy was developed to ensure that every customer gets his fair share of the total bandwidth available. Consequently, the following activities are not covered by our unmetered traffic policy:

This is why bandwidth intensive applications such as:

P2P (bittorrent, edonkey, ...) "

I have great peering with them so it would be nice to use them as my seedboxprovider.

Vars
10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Lot's of seedbox providers resell server.lu servers. They don't like that you're torrenting, per se, but they don't have a problem with it.

Six66Mike
10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
New servers - http://www.server.lu/dedicated-overviewamd
Refurbs - http://www.server.lu/refurbish-overview (formerly the DS line http://www.server.lu/dedicated-overview)

Valoo
10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
They throttled some boxes whith a very high bw usage (like resellers), but I don't think it's a problem for an individual to consume 5/10TB / month for example. They have no problem with P2P, only very high bw usage, and if they receive too many complaints, so it's advised to only use it on private trackers, and avoid CAM/pre-screener of big movies on TL.

brgroup
10-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah Server.Lu is good and you don't have to go through a reseller to get your dedi-box. Just buy straight from them. Vars is right, some of the best seedbox providers run Server.lu boxes which I think is significant.

I've never had a throttled experience on my boxes and you get access to your management console no matter what plan.

Too bad they raised prices. Still the refurbs are a good pretty deal and I think more powerful than the Kimi C-05 celeron..

apextwin146
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Anyway to get these boxes without the set up fees?

Vars
10-20-2009, 04:10 PM
They offer their refurbished servers without a set up fee if you're willing to pay an extra 10€ per month. Otherwise, find a reseller, they get the set up fees waived.

Six66Mike
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I have 40+ servers here and have nothing good to say about their customer service. Andy tries when he's around (which he seemingly hasn't been since August) and has good service, the techs don't at all. Their idea of troubleshooting is a reboot and they tell you it's fixed even when it's not, then you go back & forth for weeks dragging it out without a resolution unless you clearly tell them the exact fault, which is hard when you are remotely troubleshooting with no console.

*bash head on desk*

Get a Kimsufi or something else, save yourself the headaches.