PDA

View Full Version : Pm

nosal
10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
hello, I made several posts including in the welcome thread, when do I get pms?.

Cabalo
10-14-2009, 06:04 PM
you have made several posts, but forgot to read the board rules, didn't you? here they are for you: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/boardrules/
this one's for free: you have to wait at least a month to be able to send PMs.
Amongst other things, this was made to try to keep anxious traders or beggars lurking too much in this forum.

nosal
10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
*edit*-nevermind, fixed.

susiserken
10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Amongst other things, this was made to try to keep anxious traders or beggars lurking too much in this forum.

and off he goes!one :O

yipie
10-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I seem to be having the same problem

Where is my pm access?.

I've been here 30 days.

lynx
10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Despite what is said by those who "know", it is becoming increasingly obvious that account upgrades do not take place until the first qualifying post is made after the probationary period. That's often in a thread like this one.

I believe it is done so that no action is performed on dormant accounts.

tesco
10-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Despite what is said by those who "know", it is becoming increasingly obvious that account upgrades do not take place until the first qualifying post is made after the probationary period. That's often in a thread like this one.

Nahh, it's not like that. Here are the requirements:

30 days since joined
Minimum 2 posts

It then takes maximum 1 hour after the last of these requirements have been met in order to promote their usergroup.

The User Promotion 'Scheduled Task' runs at xx:25 hourly.
That means 1:25, 2:25, 3:25, ..., 13:25, 14:25, ... etc.

-----

Look at this user for example: yipie (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/yipie-237575)
It is an extreme case.
He had been here for min 30 days and made his second post at 4:33pm.
He then posted at 5:24pm saying that his PM didn't work (usergroup not promoted yet).
At 5:25pm the scheduled task ran.
At 5:54pm (I see this from his post stating "I PM'd you") he realized that he had PM access.

edit: I just set it to run twice per hour. xx:25 and xx:55.

edit2: Shit sorry Lynx you were right (sort of).
I just noticed this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1464881
Basically it only promoted users who have been active on the forum since the last time the promotion task ran. This is just stupid and I can fix it when I get a chance.

vivitron 15
10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
i cant get my head around why people would come to a public forum souly for pm access...ive been here for like 6 years (strangely my profile says 1 july, when i definitely joined december/january - nm, must have been from the old trx days etc), and have only ever sent 49 pms. crazy

SonsOfLiberty
10-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I think they want PM access for BT trades and stuff like that, and then disappear.

Rart
10-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Yep. The majority of the users here seem to be the silent type that just post in BT trades and never quite post outside those forums. These rules help tone down the masses, but there is still a decent amount.

lynx
10-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Nahh, it's not like that. Here are the requirements:

30 days since joined
Minimum 2 posts

It then takes maximum 1 hour after the last of these requirements have been met in order to promote their usergroup.

The User Promotion 'Scheduled Task' runs at xx:25 hourly.
That means 1:25, 2:25, 3:25, ..., 13:25, 14:25, ... etc.

-----

Look at this user for example: yipie (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/yipie-237575)
It is an extreme case.
He had been here for min 30 days and made his second post at 4:33pm.
He then posted at 5:24pm saying that his PM didn't work (usergroup not promoted yet).
At 5:25pm the scheduled task ran.
At 5:54pm (I see this from his post stating "I PM'd you") he realized that he had PM access.

edit: I just set it to run twice per hour. xx:25 and xx:55.

edit2: Shit sorry Lynx you were right (sort of).
I just noticed this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1464881
Basically it only promoted users who have been active on the forum since the last time the promotion task ran. This is just stupid and I can fix it when I get a chance.
I think it's like that so that it doesn't have to check the whole database, only the accounts of those who have posted. If you could change it to look at those who have had any activity it would still avoid checking the whole database. You might need to watch out that it doesn't "promote" people who are banned.

On the other hand, it raises the question whether people who can't be bothered to make regular posts are deserving of being promoted in the first place.