PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Infringement letter to Seedbox Host

xxk2xx
10-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Wow
I have a seedbox at Xirvik.com and this is my letter from Xirvik that they received..
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8995/stupidletterr.png
Don't seedbox servers run some type of Ip blocking software for there own safety?
I know nothing is safe but i felt safer running Protowall or PeerGurdian at home..Ha
And this was just a TV show that's free from there site after it airs with tons of commercials of coarse.
Makes me wonder about a seedbox. Maybe i should go VPN would that be safer?
So where do I go from here..Humm

kondrae
10-16-2009, 05:56 AM
what torrent site were you using?

slacker
10-16-2009, 07:28 AM
which tracker is this?

anonymous101
10-16-2009, 07:45 AM
I have never heard of a seedbox provider forwarding a infringement letter on before:huh:

VPN will only protect your ip address on the conected computer when browsing the internet by giving it one from your seedbox, so won't stop or protect you against this happening

rey
10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I have never heard of a seedbox provider forwarding a infringement letter on before:huh:

VPN will only protect your ip address on the conected computer when browsing the internet by giving it one from your seedbox, so won't stop or protect you against this happening

+1 and its also has put bad publicity on his company. I mean every company do this, but never do they send infringement letter.

TrollinThunder
10-16-2009, 03:49 PM
If they don't forward the infringement notice or take other action, they won't qualify for the safe harbor provisions and could be liable for contributory infringement.

I'm very curious about which tracker too...

Moksu
10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
What would Horatio do?

susiserken
10-16-2009, 04:54 PM
What would Horatio do?

He woulds put on his sunglasses and quickly run out of the camera view :cool:

xirvflux
10-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I know nothing is safe but i felt safer running Protowall or PeerGurdian at home..

Well, if you post the notifications you receive in a public forum you shouldn't feel sure. So much for letting the problem go quietly or even denying you never got it.

Really, I can't believe you published this instead of just making a mental note of the tracker.

Sigh...

We do as well as all other providers in their sane mind - not letting an user known that he's being monitored is stupid at best.

+1 and its also has put bad publicity on his company. I mean every company do this, but never do they send infringement letter.

This is not true but even if it was, if you prefer to be with a company that won't forward you ANY NOTICE regarding your activity then Xirvik is definitely not the right place to be.

We get a notice of any kind (including trackers) we let the user know immediately so he can make his own decisions.

TrollinThunder
10-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Since you're here, would you mind sharing how many notices you receive each month on average? How many from reputable private trackers?

xirvflux
10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Since you're here, would you mind sharing how many notices you receive each month on average? How many from reputable private trackers?

Not many (depends on how you look at this though), and also what you consider to be a reputable tracker. This week we got 4 (and yes we forwarded them to each user, we consider this to be something to be aware of), 2 from one tracker and another 2 for a different tracker. 3 were about TV shows in case you were wondering.

While we are at it and since some people seem to be worried that we forwarded the notice (I'm missing their rationale though) let me tell you that our seedboxes include HTTPS/FTPS traffic, VPN and a proxy, or data between our users and their seedboxes is ALWAYS encrypted (unless they choose not to use encryption, that is), and that they can surf keeping their IP address hidden at all times - and this is not only for visiting trackers, it works with everything else.

Finally, DMCA does not apply in our territory (or most of our servers locations), but we still read, store, and forward every complaint from every agency. Not doing anything is like ignoring a traffic ticket.

sez
10-16-2009, 07:34 PM
This is kinda crazy,never thought they'd forward notices for tv show caps.
Am more than certain the tracker is TL though.

Rart
10-16-2009, 10:07 PM
If they don't forward the infringement notice or take other action, they won't qualify for the safe harbor provisions and could be liable for contributory infringement.

I'm very curious about which tracker too...

Exactly. It would be worse if they didn't notify him.

And as to the OP, you should know that IP blocking software are completely placebo effect and useless. To download, you need to connect to other peers, which means they need your IP. And it can always be traced back to you. If you really want to be safe, don't use BT.

Bad-Day
10-16-2009, 10:52 PM
This is the end!!!!!!! omg!!!!

what is the tracker op ?

xxk2xx
10-17-2009, 03:38 AM
It was the TL tracker and sorry to Xirvik if I offended them in any way..
Xirvik is a great company they are good enough to tell you what's going on with your torrents and help stop and delete them to stop the copyright infringement..I would recommend Xirvik to anyone.They have Great support and respond to any and all questions as soon as..(At least they make aware)

The root of this whole problem is Anti p2p companies that sneak there way onto trackers and log IP's..Damm them..

Also the whole reason I posted this on a public site is to inform everyone that yes you will and can still get those scary letters even from a from a seedbox provider. (xirvflux)I don't think it was a stupid idea at all and just to make a mental note of it and not tell people would be wrong..

Rilly
10-17-2009, 07:34 PM
the copyright letters are becoming more and more through TL - though I know its swim at your own risk, but the risks seem greater lately on TL

pone44
10-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Have never seen a thread like this. Also not disrespecting Xirvflux, they are not the ones making the choice to download the files. Just to provide a service but I never read a thread with a member getting a letter from using a seedbox.? How often does this happen with other companies,sites?

xirvflux
10-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Just to provide a service but I never read a thread with a member getting a letter from using a seedbox.? How often does this happen with other companies,sites?

We didn't send any thread. We forwarded a notification, that's all. Big difference.

Our user can do whatever he believes to be convenient, it's his seedbox.

rey
10-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, if you post the notifications you receive in a public forum you shouldn't feel sure. So much for letting the problem go quietly or even denying you never got it.

Really, I can't believe you published this instead of just making a mental note of the tracker.

Sigh...

We do as well as all other providers in their sane mind - not letting an user known that he's being monitored is stupid at best.

This is not true but even if it was, if you prefer to be with a company that won't forward you ANY NOTICE regarding your activity then Xirvik is definitely not the right place to be.

We get a notice of any kind (including trackers) we let the user know immediately so he can make his own decisions.
name me 5 other companies who do this and i will never post here again. and u didnt want him to post here as it has caused embarassment for u

anonymous101
10-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I must say I have been around a short while but have used a couple of different seedbox providers and have never heard of come across this:mellow:

xirvflux
10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
name me 5 other companies who do this and i will never post here again. and u didnt want him to post here as it has caused embarassment for u

You are still bitter because you didn't get a free ride, aren't you?

Rart
10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
The OP DLed a watched torrent. On ANY site, ANY computer, ANY proxy, ANY seedbox, you WILL get a notice. It's not like some seedbox hosts are "more secure" than others. It depends on the torrent.

And I feel like leaving the user in the dark is worse than not. Sure, the copyright notice may be going to the seedbox and not to the user, but it's not really hard to track it back to you, especially if they have the law and warrants from that country on their side. So I don't understand why this would be a problem, ever.

xxk2xx
10-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok Everyone I have had some time to think about this letter..

The reason i posted this was to let it be known that no matter who your Seedbox hosting company is you (MAY) still receive a scary letter..
Xirvik and all hosting companies should be given a lot of credit for providing all of us their service. Plus Xirvik.com has some awesome priced packages with free proxy/vpn ..
Anyway, the letter provided me a time and date stamp plus the info hash # of the torrent. So I forwarded it to TL support so they can do some digging around and maybe ban the person logging the IP .(I would really like to hope this) . Maybe i stopped this same letter going to that poor person that leaves his computer on all day seeding from home. Except he might have received this letter with a google maps location of this house attached.(Kidding)..
So thanks to all hosting companies.
Guys a TV show surprised me too.. believe me. I wont do it again:):)

cinephilia
10-19-2009, 02:54 AM

lol

ca_aok
10-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't see why some people are under the delusion that seedboxes provide you a measure of security/anonymity. You pay for speed, your IP is still visible to the swarm. And your details are linked to a name and bank account that in most cases is your real information.

You'd be safer using usenet or WASTE or just DDL if you're that concerned.

rey
10-19-2009, 11:06 PM

lol i just gave u an invitation to shut me up and this is wat u reply? LOL. i take it u dont know den, i think this comment has put more embarassement than it is, i mean an owner trying to cuss some1 in public doesnt always look good

xirvflux
10-19-2009, 11:31 PM
You pay for speed, your IP is still visible to the swarm.

No it's not. The seedbox IP address is visible to the swarm, not the user's. And using a HTTP proxy not even the websites see the user's IP.

And your details are linked to a name and bank account that in most cases is your real information.

Yes. But when the user is in one country, the seedbox company in a 2nd country, the physical server in a 3rd country and the payment processing company in a 4th country getting access to all the details is not as easy as it seems.

To put it another way: If we -Xirvik- got a threatening letter from a US corporation that demanded information about one of our users and we provided such information, we would be violating laws that do apply to us.

So seedboxes do provide some anonymity. First, because your IP is completely hidden. Second, because all the traffic (between the seedbox and your computer) is encrypted. Third, because having data in separate countries makes it more difficult for any party to get access to it.

By the way, don't think the only reason for wanting privacy and anonymity is torrents. There are many others, completely legit and reasonable. We have many users that use VPN and/or proxy for things that have no relationship with the torrenting world.

ca_aok
10-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh I completely agree that seedboxes help in that manner, what I'm saying is that if they care, they can still track you down. People seem to think that a seedbox is the same sort of protection as a VPN or SSH tunnel and it's not.

And I myself use a server for multiple uses including torrenting, so I'm aware there are other reasons.

Rart
10-20-2009, 10:32 PM

lol i just gave u an invitation to shut me up and this is wat u reply? LOL. i take it u dont know den, i think this comment has put more embarassement than it is, i mean an owner trying to cuss some1 in public doesnt always look good

I think your flagrant and intentional misspellings (who the hell shorthands "then" to "den"? Seriously?) is more of an "embarassement" than what xirvflux said could ever be.

pone44
10-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Not badmouthing anyone but this is strange. How come this is the first time a member has mentioned something like this,if so common? Plus you send out 4-5 letters a week.?

No it's not. The seedbox IP address is visible to the swarm, not the user's. And using a HTTP proxy not even the websites see the user's IP.
To put it another way: If we -Xirvik- got a threatening letter from a US corporation that demanded information about one of our users and we provided such information, we would be violating laws that do apply to us.

So seedboxes do provide some anonymity. First, because your IP is completely hidden. Second, because all the traffic (between the seedbox and your computer) is encrypted. Third, because having data in separate countries makes it more difficult for any party to get access to it.

Not many (depends on how you look at this though), and also what you consider to be a reputable tracker. This week we got 4 (and yes we forwarded them to each user, we consider this to be something to be aware of), 2 from one tracker and another 2 for a different tracker. 3 were about TV shows in case you were wondering.

While we are at it and since some people seem to be worried that we forwarded the notice (I'm missing their rationale though) let me tell you that our seedboxes include HTTPS/FTPS traffic, VPN and a proxy, or data between our users and their seedboxes is ALWAYS encrypted (unless they choose not to use encryption, that is), and that they can surf keeping their IP address hidden at all times - and this is not only for visiting trackers, it works with everything else.

Finally, DMCA does not apply in our territory (or most of our servers locations), but we still read, store, and forward every complaint from every agency. Not doing anything is like ignoring a traffic ticket.

This does not make sense to me^.
So those laws apply to the company but the last paragraph above it is posted they do not? Confused!
Never heard of ANY seedbox company forwarding C&D letters to their customers!
Has anyone here ever received a C&D letter or heard of someone getting a letter from their seedbox provider? Why would someone want a seedbox for anything other than using BT/P2P?

heiska
10-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Not badmouthing anyone but this is strange. How come this is the first time a member has mentioned something like this,if so common? Plus you send out 4-5 letters a week.?

This does not make sense to me^.
So those laws apply to the company but the last paragraph above it is posted they do not? Confused!
Never heard of ANY seedbox company forwarding C&D letters to their customers!
Has anyone here ever received a C&D letter or heard of someone getting a letter from their seedbox provider? Why would someone want a seedbox for anything other than using BT/P2P?

Hey there frank, calm down. It's just a stupid letter. I wipe my ass on these letters every day.

Sonnentier
10-23-2009, 12:21 PM
How come this is the first time a member has mentioned something like this,if so common?
I guess most 'seedbox' providers just direct them to /dev/null, not really trustworthy
but what are you going to expect from something that is about BitTorrent.

Then I also saw fastsh.it the other day, not permitting any public torrents, lol.

rey
10-27-2009, 12:38 AM

I think your flagrant and intentional misspellings (who the hell shorthands "then" to "den"? Seriously?) is more of an "embarassement" than what xirvflux said could ever be.
i think wat u said is more embarrassing! this isnt a formal forum! obviously i wuldnt write like this in a formal letter

Speedo
10-30-2009, 10:08 PM
You have to download some more. You can't be taken down by a shitty csi episode.

First thing I would do is go down to your local courthouse and pull out a copy of every lawsuit CBS have had over the last 20 years. If they are no help, call CBS, and if they are serious they should send it.

Second thing I would do is visit as many library and public computers as you can and edit your posts and account details, like passwords.

And if you can afford it get a lawyer.

Better be carefull. The courthouse is unforgiving.

I might seem paranoid but you are in the us.