PDA

View Full Version : In fond memory of

xJohnxSmithx
10-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Oink
What a great site that was. I had a nostalgic moment and i thought i'd share it. In a couple of days it will have been closed for 3 years. Ya mofos it's been that long. It had 180,000 members and 200,000 torrents when it was taken down.Trent Reznor, Nine Inch Nails frontman and music producer was a member ffs. I gotta give props to .cd and .fm, they have done fine work filling the void.
cheers

edit: my bad it has been 2 years

deadalive1
10-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Damn...has it been that long already? Now you got me thinking about it damn you... lol :P

Purpledrank
10-16-2009, 06:21 AM
ok it was a site on the internet get over it

kooltilldend
10-16-2009, 06:23 AM
never was on Oink but credit to them...they were absolutely massive

can't say I miss the site though...there are more than ample replacements now

xJohnxSmithx
10-16-2009, 06:28 AM
ok it was a site on the internet get over it

I did until today, so f u too

Skiz
10-16-2009, 07:48 AM
It was an incredibly over-moderated tracker that has been replaced by trackers like "What", which offer better selection, more torrents, better UI, and reasonable staffers.

I say good riddance.

Polarbear
10-16-2009, 07:53 AM
http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/oink_flag.jpg

Pleasant memories. I won't forget it.

Bad-Day
10-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I miss the pig, thats all. It had some kind off magic, that neither what.cd or waffles has.

I agree whit Skiz.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_w6BD02rLjME/Rx93T5z4pAI/AAAAAAAAAEE/EmE6j8l3j7Q/s1600/oink%2B911%2Bbanner.jpg

HMthePM
10-16-2009, 10:51 AM
The pig was great, but get over it. Been three years. In fact its going away did some good to p2p - what and waffles. Instead of one awesome tracker, we have two pretty good ones.
I feel sorry for the guys nabbed though. Any idea what happened to him finally?

NippleCake
10-16-2009, 11:18 AM
great filesharing spirit guys. Without Oink im pertty sure there would be no what or waffles, so stop being so fucking ignorant and stop taking everything for granted, let the man (op) have his say.

HMthePM
10-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey I am not disagreeing with the op, sure it was the best music site ever, including what and waffle put together. Even the best tracker demonoid was closed for few months due mpaa and riaa. Many other good trackers were also closed. Bad things for p2p.
But it happened a long time ago. We got new trackers so we dont have any problems. Worst thing happened to the administrator. He has the sympathy of the whole p2p world. We should feel sorry for him rather than for his tracker.

mrnobody
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
the moment i saw 'OiNK' i knew skiz would say

I say good riddance.

Cabalo
10-16-2009, 12:21 PM
It was just a site, a torrent site.
And it's demise helped create 2 much better ones. It served its purpose.

That1Guy
10-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I feel sorry for the guys nabbed though. Any idea what happened to him finally?

They just keep putting it off because they have nothing.

"The conspiracy to defraud case against Alan Ellis has been adjourned until 25 September 2009 at Teesside Crown Court. The trial is currently set to commence on 4 January 2010."

from http://oink.me.uk/

It was a great tracker, only had the chance to be there a few months before it went down. what/waffles has filled the void nicely though.

xJohnxSmithx
10-16-2009, 02:44 PM

No it was not just a torrent site and your attitude sucks towards one of the sites that has brought us to where we are today. It was all we had in the day. Nothing compared to it. Maybe you and skiz had issues with oink but thats no way to show your appreciation for the peeps that are still fighting for their lives.

Callmehank
10-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Oink wasn't too bad. But it's time to move forward.

Cabalo
10-16-2009, 08:56 PM

No it was not just a torrent site and your attitude sucks towards one of the sites that has brought us to where we are today. It was all we had in the day. Nothing compared to it. Maybe you and skiz had issues with oink but thats no way to show your appreciation for the peeps that are still fighting for their lives.
Iwasn't ever a member there, so I couldn't care less. And the sites which brought us where we are now are actually places like suprnova, elitetorrents and such, which you obviously know little about.

Bad-Day
10-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Iwasn't ever a member there, so I couldn't care less. And the sites which brought us where we are now are actually places like suprnova, elitetorrents and such, which you obviously know little about.

:lol: :lol:

....Iwasn't ever a member there, so, you obviously know little about also.

granda lol :p

xJohnxSmithx
10-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Very mature Mr.Cabalo. What I know is not your concern, your wealth of knowledge is obviously more than i can comprehend.

Albo Da Kid
10-16-2009, 10:33 PM

No it was not just a torrent site and your attitude sucks towards one of the sites that has brought us to where we are today. It was all we had in the day. Nothing compared to it.
Brought us where? To what and whaffles you mean? I'm sure that even if there was never an oink, gradually a music tracker would have popped up over time.

And what brought us(the people) here the most were trading forums like TorrentFreak and the WTAW thread. If it wasn't for "getting the best of the best", we would have been satisfied with TL, and most of us wouldn't be in this forum right now discussing BT.

Ofcourse we learned not to care about the WTAW thread and trading as time passed by, but those were the reasons why at least 80% of us became hardcore torrenters.

And don't give me that bullshit "i started torrenting for the love of sharing" excuse

deadalive1
10-16-2009, 10:48 PM
To the OP, pay no attention to the negativity from certain members here. If you check their post history you'll see that a lot of them make antagonistic posts to stir the crap and then sit back and laugh at those who react to it.

Those who were never a member YET think they can form opinions on it because they are on What and/or Waffles now, are ridiculous to say the least. If you weren't a member you really can't form an opinion on whether it was good or not or what the site was like (no matter how important you "THINK" you're opinion is).

Bad-Day
10-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Very well said!

Purpledrank
10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
ok i was a member and i dont miss it lmfao

Bad-Day
10-16-2009, 11:12 PM
ok i was a member and i dont miss it lmfao

Really ?

If you liked it, that would be a surprise.

Purpledrank
10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
no i just use what.cd and e for music now

Bad-Day
10-16-2009, 11:28 PM
E ?

I prefer to use X but somethimes i use H or even J

Depends on the mood, but i usually use something from A to Z

or even better.

i use this ones....

its a dick

NippleCake
10-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Cabalo and Albo xjohnxsmithx has been around for a fuck-off long time in the torrent 'scene' (i know lame word) and to be honest oink was one of the milestones of private torrenting. Without it we wouldnt have what.cd or waffles.fm. Ok maybe a tracker would have popped up, but with the same flare that site had? it became pretty famous. Saying you dont care about it is kinda like saying you dont give a fucking about your great-grand-parents, ok, they were born, they made your grandparents, who made your parents, their gone know, and have served their purpose, screw them.

And before someone starts comparing torrent sites to real life blood relatives it was the best example i could come up with and i really dont take torrenting that seriously.

Now, show a little respect.

Albo Da Kid
10-17-2009, 12:01 AM
I didn't say that I didn't respect them. I didn't say that i loved them either. I never mentioned any of these in my posts matter fact.

But as far as the Oink Nostalgy goes, I'd say to those who feel bad for it's fall not to sweat it too much. Those "poor" admins made a hell of a fortune last time i heard and their only unfortune was that they got caught. Imo it was all worthit. You win some you loose some. If they didn't get caught they would have still been paying their bills with your money, the money of those who are loosing sleep debating about it. Too bad they were not carufeul enough tho.

I send my conndolonces. Matter fact if I ever got arrested and ended up in England's prisons, I promise I'd watch their backs...They let you use the internet in prisons don't they? That would d be sweet

Bad-Day
10-17-2009, 12:18 AM
oink was one of the milestones of private torrenting.

Those, who used it, know what this means.

Albo, no one mentioned the staff, were talking about the all package, comunity, ambient, the music, the forums,...... @ that time, there was nothing else, that could be compared to oink, Vip was probably the next best thing, and still, it was 1/3 off what oink was.

Knowadays, there are thousands off trackers, no one, gets that feeling anymore, about any off them.... the only one, i have seen lately, whit a userbase, so similiar ( lack off better word ) is Filelist.

Respect -Vip-

Albo Da Kid
10-17-2009, 12:39 AM
I could have swore I read something about their admins in this topic.. i guess I was still carrying thoughts from another Oink topic we had some months ago

Anyway, yea Oink was great for it's era and nobody said it wasn't. I was a member of Oink and I know what it was about. It's just a little extreme calling someone disrespectful for saying "It was just a torrent site" though.

pro267
10-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Oink was a very good music tracker. Some may call it over-moderated, but that's just the thing though - when you've downloaded something from Oink, you'd know it was a properly encoded release, otherwise it would've been deleted by staff.

On the downside, it's hardly a secret that some of the staffers at Oink were arseholes. All that cute animal avatar thing and total disrespect for the privacy of other trackers really tainted what would otherwise be an optimal resource for music on the web.

By the way, does anyone follow the news and know what's going on with OiNK himself nowadays?

sheriff 01
10-17-2009, 01:17 AM

Fighting for their lives? WTF!! Is that not torrenting we are talking about?

gamesover
10-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Knowadays, there are thousands off trackers, no one, gets that feeling anymore, about any off them.... the only one, i have seen lately, whit a userbase, so similiar ( lack off better word ) is Filelist.

Respect -Vip-

How is the userbase of filelist like Oink? Not really getting the comparison. Im not a member of the place but a few friends who are there tell me its kind of small and quiet. Not the same as it used to be a long time ago.

chiefosceola
10-17-2009, 05:25 AM
When one falls others takes it place and hopefully learn from the mistakes of it predecessor. If that wasn't the case we would all still be using bb, or trading floppies at parties (I know that sounds perverted but remember it none the less). Only old school filesharing I still use is usenet which has become fashion again. We progress get a little smarter and try to stay ahead. These remembrances are nice but the site that once was is best left where they are: in the past. I was an active member in oink but found its replacements just as nice. I'm just a pirate and as long as I get my music I'm just as happy. Where is all the rememberanances for napster, original winmx, kazaa before the crap it is today, bb that started it all, dcc, ftp dumps. What about the general disrespect for soul seek and edonkey. It all had its place in history and the evolution. Oink wasn't the first and won't be the last. Move with the time and enjoy it. Files will always be there to be had but to long after a dead site is pathetic. Forget it and move on. BTW I'll still be using usenet and soulseek while you youngster find the next best thing. And yes, I am sympathetic to the originators of oink and hope them the best as I do all site owners that risk their neck to get us the files we want. The rest that just rely on the work (and I don't mean artistically) of other sites to provide fodder for their own in hopes of increased donates can disappear as quickly as their secret sites appear

Totti
10-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Oink was a very good music tracker. Some may call it over-moderated, but that's just the thing though - when you've downloaded something from Oink, you'd know it was a properly encoded release, otherwise it would've been deleted by staff.

On the downside, it's hardly a secret that some of the staffers at Oink were arseholes. All that cute animal avatar thing and total disrespect for the privacy of other trackers really tainted what would otherwise be an optimal resource for music on the web.

By the way, does anyone follow the news and know what's going on with OiNK himself nowadays?

http://oink.cd/
here you go says it plain and clear

Yoann64
10-17-2009, 10:36 AM
It's all a matter of taste !! Nothing more, you like it or you don't !!
And i dunno why people want to compare Oink with Waffles or What....It's not the same story, things evolved so quickly in the BT.

Six66Mike
10-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Was good while it lasted but it's time to move on. The site seems to have more hype in death than it did alive. Progress has been made, let's roll with it.

NippleCake
10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Was good while it lasted but it's time to move on. The site seems to have more hype in death than it did alive. Progress has been made, let's roll with it.

So we cant even commemorate it? that is what the post is about..

Bad-Day
10-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Respect -Vip-

How is the userbase of filelist like Oink? Not really getting the comparison. Im not a member of the place but a few friends who are there tell me its kind of small and quiet. Not the same as it used to be a long time ago.

Ppl are very attached to them. ANd they dont just leave, they come everyday to see if its back on again, and make foruns will the site is down, so they can all be in touch whit etch other.

Alien5
10-17-2009, 04:47 PM

apparently Oink's been in n out of the Courthouse more times than Swepsycho's prostitute mother.

sez
10-17-2009, 05:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oink's_Pink_Palace

apparently Oink's been in n out of the Courthouse more times than Swepsycho's prostitute mother.

Honestly you didn't have to.Its not even funny and worse from a person who was born before the moon landings.

pro267
10-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the references.

Whether you liked him or not, the man now faces charges for bringing us lot music for free. Let's hope he'll weather the storm.

pone44
10-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I never got to enjoy the site itself but I hope anyone facing a victimless crime is not prosecuted harshly to scare others. Hopefully they mess up the evidence like TPB :P. I hope the guy does walk out OK. The anti P2P companies/lawyers are trying to make a Rep and a dollar for themselves.

sear
10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Wow, all the hostility in this thread just because someone wanted to commemorate what really was a pioneering site. I know the reason I got into torrents is because I read about Oink in a magazine and it got me curious. But honestly guys why not let people pay their respects? What's wrong with that? The sniping I see in this thread and in others around here lately has just completely turned me off this forum, and the people who are instigating it. I used to enjoy reading this section even the flame battles but lately it seems as if it's been taken over by little children that are just bickering for the sake of it. I'm sure I'll get flamed by someone for this post but I really don't care. Wake up to yourselves, you may think it's funny to act like an arsehole but it's just sad.

sheriff 01
10-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Wow, all the hostility in this thread just because someone wanted to commemorate what really was a pioneering site. I know the reason I got into torrents is because I read about Oink in a magazine and it got me curious. But honestly guys why not let people pay their respects? What's wrong with that? The sniping I see in this thread and in others around here lately has just completely turned me off this forum, and the people who are instigating it. I used to enjoy reading this section even the flame battles but lately it seems as if it's been taken over by little children that are just bickering for the sake of it. I'm sure I'll get flamed by someone for this post but I really don't care. Wake up to yourselves, you may think it's funny to act like an arsehole but it's just sad.

This is a forum for discussion and in a discussion many things can transpire whether it be for the good or not. I feel sad for you in your recent opinion of fst and wish you all the best at finding a happier place to be at. Maybe these types of forums are not for you anymore and it is best to leave.:yup:

cinephilia
10-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I was an active member in oink but found its replacements just as nice. I'm just a pirate and as long as I get my music I'm just as happy. Where is all the rememberanances for napster, original winmx, kazaa before the crap it is today, bb that started it all, dcc, ftp dumps. What about the general disrespect for soul seek and edonkey. It all had its place in history and the evolution. Oink wasn't the first and won't be the last. Move with the time and enjoy it. Files will always be there to be had but to long after a dead site is pathetic. Forget it and move on.
agreed.

Mousee
10-18-2009, 02:02 AM
I was an active member in oink but found its replacements just as nice. I'm just a pirate and as long as I get my music I'm just as happy. Where is all the rememberanances for napster, original winmx, kazaa before the crap it is today, bb that started it all, dcc, ftp dumps. What about the general disrespect for soul seek and edonkey. It all had its place in history and the evolution. Oink wasn't the first and won't be the last. Move with the time and enjoy it. Files will always be there to be had but to long after a dead site is pathetic. Forget it and move on.
Agreed as well.

I've been doing this since 2000 and this is *always* how the community at large has treated the sharing/p2p scene. There's been a great deal of sites and programs that have helped shaped it over time, for better and worse, but we don't need to linger on what or how they provided it. A simple "Ah ya, OiNK was great!" would suffice. Otherwise you may as well have "remembrance" threads for at least 100 others on the list of "greats"/"memorables" - most of those having introduced far more radical changes than OiNK. I doubt many people here could list even a dozen of those though. Heh, I think I even lost track myself. But then again I was never a huge fan of the public p2p scene either :P

phooart
10-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Oink was really great! There can be no substitute

The_Martinator
10-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I never was a member, so I can't really miss it. But from what I've read if the site would have been online atm, most would migrate to What or Waffles anyway as they're better. Oink is the basis for both of them, no doubt about that.

susiserken
10-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I never was a member, so I can't really miss it. But from what I've read if the site would have been online atm, most would migrate to What or Waffles anyway as they're better. Oink is the basis for both of them, no doubt about that.
waffles or what.cd might never had been made if it wasnt for the shutdown of oink tho.

pone44
10-18-2009, 04:58 PM
All good points except the people with dupe accounts hiding and whining,pointing fingers at others, spamming. That is out of control.

This is a forum for discussion and in a discussion many things can transpire whether it be for the good or not. I feel sad for you in your recent opinion of fst and wish you all the best at finding a happier place to be at. Maybe these types of forums are not for you anymore and it is best to leave.:yup:

The_Martinator
10-18-2009, 05:38 PM
waffles or what.cd might never had been made if it wasnt for the shutdown of oink tho.

I said it was the basis, didn't I? What I was trying to say is that surely trackers have evolved since then.

Alien5
10-18-2009, 05:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oink's_Pink_Palace

Honestly you didn't have to.Its not even funny and worse from a person who was born before the moon landings.
what are you taking about? im not as old as some people here, and everyone gets old sooner than you think, it has its advantages...i can't think of any off the top of my head, run along now lad. :snooty:

BHpimp
10-18-2009, 09:54 PM
run along now lad. :snooty:

yes u are old lmfao

sez
10-18-2009, 10:46 PM
^^didn't notice but I kinda have to agree :lol:

Villalltheway
10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
It was an awesome site, the coding of the site set the standards.

CPC464
10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
i was a member of elitetorrents. i may start off a thread saying how much i miss it.

then everyone who was never a member can give their opinions too

soulreaper
10-19-2009, 10:23 AM
i was a member of elitetorrents. i may start off a thread saying how much i miss it.

Do it then.:lol:

Bad-Day
10-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Do it then.:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: